Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Rod Beetle Ute
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Thanks-I have finished all the rear frame today-all tacked together.I have a few more hose and fuel line brackets to weld on,then the motor and trans can come out to fully weld it all.Will do the pan halves and rear floor then.I found a home for the radiator overflow bottle that's out of the way-but still close enough for a short hose.It's really solid-I can lift the pan by the rear lower bar with no deflection of anything.I will fabricate a towbar plate to weld to the rear lower bar and keep it out of sight when no tongue is fitted.I may cut the plastic intake pipe and put the air flow meter just after the bend which will keep the air filter pod inside the engine bay.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Looking good. Is the plan to have the hot air from the rad to exit the tailgate?
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I haven't decided yet how it will happen.Will work out a plan when I start to build the body around the engine.The rad and air con condenser will be sealed with panels to force all air coming into the back through them.I think a scoop of some sort under the car just nearthe bell housing should bring a lot of air in,then there should be a low pressure area behind the air con condenser which should let all hot air exit easily-hoping that's how it works??On my Drag Car, I have fitted a swinging panel just below the spoiler to let air out and it works real good.I have followed the car when it's been on a trailer,and the flap is always opened,even at low road speed.This is what it looked like before and after paint

Last edited by nbturbo on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

The front air shocks take an 1/8th inch plastic line-but I want to use 1/4inch high pressure line on the whole car.Couldn't find an adaptor to go up to the 1/4inch line-so will have to make them.First one all machined and waiting to silver solder it.The fitting on the shock is 7/16th UNF,so bought some bolts and machined up a fitting to go up to 1/4inch line.I will weld the round boss to the front beam where I can keep the small line to a bare minimum.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have made a change to the cooling system.I will now put the air con condenser up front in the spare wheel opening as well as the air compressor.Clears up any issues with getting enough air thru it and the rad.I could put the air tank up front as well in the luggage spot above the fuel tank,which will make routing the air lines and solenoid wires a lot easier.I finally got some 285/35/19 tyres for the rear wheels.That size has become difficult to buy here.Fitted the rear wheels and test fitted one of the guards I have just had made.The angle steel clamped to the temp uprights is close to where the top of the tray should be.The tape measure on the floor indicates the distance my Oval floor pan sits from the ground,which I have set fairly low compared to a stock one.This will give me plenty of suspension movement when I set the air bags there for cruising.

Last edited by nbturbo on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Cool!!! What transaxle are you using?
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I am using the auto from an early Bus. It's the 003 Auto and I have had it rebuilt and a lot of upgrades to handle the Suby motor.I went thru the diff and fitted new bearings n seals.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Pulled the auto shifter apart and blasted everything.The shifter pawls were worn badly for N,R and P,so Tigged the worn bits,then hand filed it all.I also bent the lever to sit vertical when in Park.These levers polish up like new after heating-must be good steel.Painted and assembled with plenty of grease.Also pulled the plastic cover apart and cleaned it.The clear plastic strip with the gear lever location polish up like a mirror on the brass polisher-just need to be careful not to get it caught.I was already using a Type3 hand brake lever because of being much shorter than the early ones,but decided to cut 1.5 inches from it so I can fit the power window switches just behind the shifter cover.I cut the cable brackets from an early one and modified it.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Got back onto this and finished a few more jobs.I have made the ally panels to hold the power window switches and an interior light switch.Also made a panel to hold the 4 air bag switches as well as a switch for the air compressor.Bought some black vynl and spray glue to cover the lot.Have never been happy with the front shock top pivots.So cut it all off today and fabbed up some new brackets and welded it all in.I have ordered a 4 valve manifold to operate the air bags, which uses all 8mm high pressure tubing.Also ordered a 2 guage kit with 2 needles in each guage.I went for the electric ones that use an elrctrical sender unit on each solenoid.No need to be running 4 air lines up behind the dash for the guages.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Can't believe its been more than a year since I was last here.Have been away from the VW scene for a long time.Got back onto my car 5 weeks ago and have been at it everyday.I cut the body in half and took it to the city for the acid dip process.Body is in great shape.I have finished the new floor pan replacements.I fitted the new repos to the front,and made new rear sections from 2mm zinc sheet.Sorry I didn't make the lot.Decided that I would build the back of the cab with a sealed lower sections for the battery and storage.Fabbed new brackets to support a pair of Mitsubishi Starion seats I have had for 20 years.Cut the center dash section to house the air con unit.The new ally dash panel holds a 68 speedo and a modified early Karmann Ghia clock.I bought new repo heater channels for 48-68 Beetle,but they are nothing like the originals,so had to make some serious modifications to look remotely like the OG ones.I bought a universal Hot Rod heater and it mounts in the centre over where the original inspection cover for the gear shift coupler fitted.Because the heater channels are now short,I welded some 2 inch tube into the ends which will be coupled to the heater with the Beetle fresh air tube.I bought a short canvas sunroof from Legacy Products in the US which will need some work to make it fit.The square hole where the ash tray used to be will have a flat plate welded in to house 2 dual dial air guages for the air bags and a digital temp guage for the motor.The player in the middle is a 7 inch DVD player with a digital TV and radio box.It also has front and rear cameras.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have cut the B pillars from another body and will use them to as the back of the cab each side.Will then weld the flat panel to these and just fill the top gap with flat sheet.The new B pillar will be 6 inches wide.I have cut the rear window frames from a wreck Type 3 wagon- and reckon I can make them into a new frame 2 feet by 10 inches as the new back window.I can cut 2 new rubbers and super glue together into a new rubber.Can also cut the ally trim to suit.Am going to use an air con compressor as the air pump for the air bagsystem.Reckon I can squeeze it into the gap on the engine where the power steering pump was.Can use a drive belt from the alternator and control the clutch with a high/low pressure switch.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

nbturbo wrote:
This came from an Australian Country Buggy,which is similar to a Split Beetle wheel.I found a NOS horn button in Germany many years ago.I will have it done in a pearl finish which is done by a company here.I plan on painting the car an Aqua colour for the main body,with the guards a cream colour.Will have the steering wheel done in 2 tone to match.

I sent the wheel to Melbourne,Australia,to a company called Pearlcraft.It was a difficult decision to choose a colour combo,so went with neutral black on silver.Had the Taxi, wiper,headlight,flasher switch knobs done as well
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Right On! ☮️
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Getting closer to undercoat and some colour. The welding of the cab truck modification is now finished.Have to take it off the pan to lift it up for front apron repairs.I have put the front bumper together with over riders and some retro spotties.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

👍👍👍👍👍
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Suh-weetness! Very cool design and craftsmanship!
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I had planned on fitting the engine temp gauge in a panel where the ashtray used to be-along with the 2 gauges for the air bags.Would look too busy.Decided to put the temp gauge between the speedo and clock.The 2 small chrome things up top between gauges are green LED lights.They will be wired for the flashers.Third attempt at the ally back plate.Had to make it 1 inch longer.Cut the hole for the rag sunroof last weekend.Very pleased with the fit.Body is off floor pan now.Repairs in front around spare wheel hole now.Fitting new bumper bar retaining brackets as well.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Both the gauges and the canvas top look great. 😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I had the Mitsubishi Starion buckets reupholstered in two tone grey.The lighter centre panel is very close to the rag roof canvas.I bought all the plastic panels home and sanded out all the niks and scratches.Rattle can sprayed with a fabric spray.They came up really good.These seats are unreal-many adjustments that aren't on any others I have seen.I had a logo stitched onto some fabric so they could go into the headrests.I drew it up years ago when I built my Beetle Truck Drag Car.A take on the VW New Beetle one.

Last edited by nbturbo on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

That is first class. 😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: