Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Rod Beetle Ute
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have never put a guage on it.It's all standard Subaru stuff.I have made it all with the fittings used for normal air line pressure to take 150 PSI.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

How much fuel pressure going back to tank? 😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I restored an Oval fuel tank for this-new 10mm supply and 8mm return and fuel guage sender for my 68 Speedo.Have now decided that it's too crowded under the hood with the air con etc, and the tank holds only about 8 gallons.Will make a new ally unit to hold maybe 15 gallons and fit it in the tray behind the cab.Cut the filler from a wreck I have.Will graft that into the driver's side of the tray.Painted the shifter cover to match all the other grey stuff.Have finished the installation of all the power window stuff to one door.Was going to make new door cards and cover with the left over stuff from the seats.Made a trial trim from aluminium and will paint it body colour.Will use some stainless body mouldings from a 1303 I have plenty off.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Update us!😀
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Looks super nice.😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Bent the new panel on the corners to sit tight against the dash.Painted with the hammertone finish.Another job done.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I bought a universal power window kit for this a couple of years ago.Wasn't really keen on the fitting set up.The window crank has the splined drive on it which sticks out about 40mm.Recently thought I may be able to make an ally cover which would hold the tweeter speaker for the sound system and hide the window crank.Decided that's the go.Started to fit up the winder motor.Really works well and is very smooth and quick to operate.I had already fitted the one piece window regulator.I have found some door jamb spring loaded contacts to transfer the power across.Don't know yet,because nothing will work with the door open. I bought another temp gauge with a chrome bezel to match the VW gauges.Might see if I can get the cover off and paint the needle white.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

That is first class. 😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I had the Mitsubishi Starion buckets reupholstered in two tone grey.The lighter centre panel is very close to the rag roof canvas.I bought all the plastic panels home and sanded out all the niks and scratches.Rattle can sprayed with a fabric spray.They came up really good.These seats are unreal-many adjustments that aren't on any others I have seen.I had a logo stitched onto some fabric so they could go into the headrests.I drew it up years ago when I built my Beetle Truck Drag Car.A take on the VW New Beetle one.

Last edited by nbturbo on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Both the gauges and the canvas top look great. 😀
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I had planned on fitting the engine temp gauge in a panel where the ashtray used to be-along with the 2 gauges for the air bags.Would look too busy.Decided to put the temp gauge between the speedo and clock.The 2 small chrome things up top between gauges are green LED lights.They will be wired for the flashers.Third attempt at the ally back plate.Had to make it 1 inch longer.Cut the hole for the rag sunroof last weekend.Very pleased with the fit.Body is off floor pan now.Repairs in front around spare wheel hole now.Fitting new bumper bar retaining brackets as well.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Suh-weetness! Very cool design and craftsmanship!
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

👍👍👍👍👍
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Getting closer to undercoat and some colour. The welding of the cab truck modification is now finished.Have to take it off the pan to lift it up for front apron repairs.I have put the front bumper together with over riders and some retro spotties.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Right On! ☮️
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

nbturbo wrote:
This came from an Australian Country Buggy,which is similar to a Split Beetle wheel.I found a NOS horn button in Germany many years ago.I will have it done in a pearl finish which is done by a company here.I plan on painting the car an Aqua colour for the main body,with the guards a cream colour.Will have the steering wheel done in 2 tone to match.

I sent the wheel to Melbourne,Australia,to a company called Pearlcraft.It was a difficult decision to choose a colour combo,so went with neutral black on silver.Had the Taxi, wiper,headlight,flasher switch knobs done as well
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

I have cut the B pillars from another body and will use them to as the back of the cab each side.Will then weld the flat panel to these and just fill the top gap with flat sheet.The new B pillar will be 6 inches wide.I have cut the rear window frames from a wreck Type 3 wagon- and reckon I can make them into a new frame 2 feet by 10 inches as the new back window.I can cut 2 new rubbers and super glue together into a new rubber.Can also cut the ally trim to suit.Am going to use an air con compressor as the air pump for the air bagsystem.Reckon I can squeeze it into the gap on the engine where the power steering pump was.Can use a drive belt from the alternator and control the clutch with a high/low pressure switch.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Can't believe its been more than a year since I was last here.Have been away from the VW scene for a long time.Got back onto my car 5 weeks ago and have been at it everyday.I cut the body in half and took it to the city for the acid dip process.Body is in great shape.I have finished the new floor pan replacements.I fitted the new repos to the front,and made new rear sections from 2mm zinc sheet.Sorry I didn't make the lot.Decided that I would build the back of the cab with a sealed lower sections for the battery and storage.Fabbed new brackets to support a pair of Mitsubishi Starion seats I have had for 20 years.Cut the center dash section to house the air con unit.The new ally dash panel holds a 68 speedo and a modified early Karmann Ghia clock.I bought new repo heater channels for 48-68 Beetle,but they are nothing like the originals,so had to make some serious modifications to look remotely like the OG ones.I bought a universal Hot Rod heater and it mounts in the centre over where the original inspection cover for the gear shift coupler fitted.Because the heater channels are now short,I welded some 2 inch tube into the ends which will be coupled to the heater with the Beetle fresh air tube.I bought a short canvas sunroof from Legacy Products in the US which will need some work to make it fit.The square hole where the ash tray used to be will have a flat plate welded in to house 2 dual dial air guages for the air bags and a digital temp guage for the motor.The player in the middle is a 7 inch DVD player with a digital TV and radio box.It also has front and rear cameras.

nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Beetle Ute Reply with quote

Got back onto this and finished a few more jobs.I have made the ally panels to hold the power window switches and an interior light switch.Also made a panel to hold the 4 air bag switches as well as a switch for the air compressor.Bought some black vynl and spray glue to cover the lot.Have never been happy with the front shock top pivots.So cut it all off today and fabbed up some new brackets and welded it all in.I have ordered a 4 valve manifold to operate the air bags, which uses all 8mm high pressure tubing.Also ordered a 2 guage kit with 2 needles in each guage.I went for the electric ones that use an elrctrical sender unit on each solenoid.No need to be running 4 air lines up behind the dash for the guages.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: