Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I still like this a lot, but it looks like it's going to be a bitch to unbolt the coil packs and change the plugs.

Go-go Gadget arms.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Sick. Please update regularly and often, as I need the inspiration!
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

What a great job you are doing, I fabricated a few rust patches and thought I was doing good. haha
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Have not been able to work on the truck much but here is a little item I have been working on..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

They need to create a new word for someone with your skills. Very Happy
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
They need to create a new word for someone with your skills. Very Happy

Thank you.. Sadly enough 99% of all this coolness will hide behind sheet metal. If only they made clear body panels.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Finished the passenger side Manifold and made good progress on the mufflers and exhaust.

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Applause
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Sweet lord this is insane!

Keep this thread going please Smile
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Little sneak peak at the front suspension

David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Although, in the resto-mod theme, I can sure see this truck fooling more of us in Turquoise or SWR- not two tone w/metallic.

Definitely would love to see this truck in a non-metallic stock color - even if it's not a commercial color/scheme.

Though really, it should be dove blue. maybe a few hints of yellow in just the right subtle places to tie in the suburu theme. maybe just a 555 in a commercial-esq logo on the doors or gates...
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:

aren't those coilovers and spindles going to interfere with the front driveline?? Smile

(c'mon, go awd! Smile
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:

Just to toss this out there - unless you're going to mod the hell out of the wheel tubs and seat/steering wheel relationship, it seems like you're going to hate those pedals.

I'd strongly suggest a seat/wheel mockup before you get too commited to them. Bus pedals travel downward for a reason, and that reason has to do with our feet/ankle/legs.

The racetaxi gets away with it by moving the pedals, and seat, and wheel, way way back, not to mention the channel out of the middle of the body.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

David if you look a few pictures after that you can see the pedal box has a decent angle downwards to change the pedal angle. This new angle is almost identical to stock. Also the seat pad sits about 2" lower into the wheel tubs than stock.

Blue is on the radar. I have backed off the silver after seeing a few SC that are silver. The dove blue or a palm green with a mouse gray upper is another I'm looking at.

David Raistrick wrote:
Neonist wrote:

Just to toss this out there - unless you're going to mod the hell out of the wheel tubs and seat/steering wheel relationship, it seems like you're going to hate those pedals.

I'd strongly suggest a seat/wheel mockup before you get too commited to them. Bus pedals travel downward for a reason, and that reason has to do with our feet/ankle/legs.

The racetaxi gets away with it by moving the pedals, and seat, and wheel, way way back, not to mention the channel out of the middle of the body.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
David if you look a few pictures after that you can see the pedal box has a decent angle downwards to change the pedal angle. This new angle is almost identical to stock. Also the seat pad sits about 2" lower into the wheel tubs than stock.

You mean these?

Neonist wrote:

That looks a bit better than the earlier version, but the throttle is going to be a pain to operate (especially since you won't live at WOT like a smallmotor bus), and I still think the angle of the pedal surface change (from ~vertical to ~45deg or further) will create interesting challenges on the brake/clutch... but obviously I'm armchairing it.

Put a seat in it as soon as possible though to make sure the geometries work for you. A 2" lower tub (and shorter seat?) might help, or might mean you're staring through the top of the steering wheel... Wink

To try to clarify my concern here - these pedals are designed to be pushed -forward-, right? driver sits down low only slightly above the pedals, legs to the front, heals on the floor, feet approx vertical-to-45 deg at rest. dead pedals on the left match up to that. you push -forward- on the pedals. pedals hung down, or sticking up, they're moving with your natural ankle and knee movements. (more or less)

in the bus, where you have to pick your foot up from horizonal to bring it to the top of the pedal and push -down- it seems like the movement of the pedal -forward- doesn't really suite. (you'll be pushing down to move it forward, since you'll still be above and behind, instead of just behind)

even vanagons, with top-hinged pedals, still didn't use that vertical pedal. they adjusted it significantly so you're still pushing the surface down.

the logical (based on years and years of driving buses and vanagons) setup might be to emulate the OE bus setup - put the long arm under the floor, and use a riser arm through the floor with pedal on top.

Maybe something similar with a shorter riser for the throttle? or use a stock-style pedal and drive your (presumably) throttle-by-wire off that? maybe an improved linkage like https://www.buttysbits.com/product/bb-014-1959-1967-splitscreen-vw-throttle-kit-left-hand-drive/

I know I'd want my throttle pedal to hinge at my heal, and to be WOT when I'm approx flat on the floor, so I'm not having to hold my leg up high all the time, and just need to adjust the throttle with my ankle.

Good luck, can't wait to see in in dove blue! Smile (and yeah, if I were going to two tone it, MB/DB would be the way to go!)
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

David,

I do have some room to rework the pedal mounting bas. I can add more angle to it and drop it into the floor another 1". As you can see from this photo its the same arc as the stock pedal but does sit a little higher up.

Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Intake manifold almost done.. Need to add a plate for vacuum ports in the bottom and finish out the water connections for the intercoolers.

This manifold is unique in that it has 2 separate 4"x4'"x 10' liquid intercooler cores built into it. The plenum volume in my new manifold is slightly less than the stock and the individual runners are shorter. But I did insert a velocity stack into each runner and increase diameter from 1" to 1.5".

You can also see the Drive BY Wire throttle set in place. This will be run by the Haltech ECU which I'm told now does Cruise Control. Very happy about that and that I don't have to run a lot of extra piping to run a idle air control motor to get the engine to idle well the DBW does that too..

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Looking good.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

This thing is sweet. It's no longer a single cab, its a whole new car at this point. A Porsche race truck?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

David

Thanks for looking out for me..

I'm going to machining a spacer to change the contact pad angle for the pedal. Right now the arc the pedal travels in is ALMOST identical to factory and the pad is very close to factory location as well. Its the angle of the pad that is different. The pedal travel is also very short only being 2" at the most.

I'm going to play around with a heel rest to see if it help with the foot movement..

I had looked at changing the pedal box angle but it exaggerates the inefficiency. It moves the throttle to an unusable angle. It ALMOST needs to be a little shorty pedal and might just end up that way. I do have a unique issue with throttle in that I have a fused right ankle so it makes working all of this ODD to begin with. But if I look forward and think about another driver or even selling later on I need to make it useable for more than just me.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: