Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
This thing is sweet. It's no longer a single cab, its a whole new car at this point. A Porsche race truck?

Unfortunately I don't think there is much Porsche here.. Subaru (Fuji Heavy) had Porsche design the intake system for this engine and as you can see that's gone now.

But I do agree with you that it needs another classification. But that's what resto-mods are all about. I do so enjoy the art of foolery. From the outward appearance it will look like a nicely lowered Single cab Will even have a factory color on it.. But that's where it ends.. Originality will only be skin deep.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I am a purist, and I love this build. You picked the perfect candidate to do this type of build... Rock on and keep up the good work.
I second that! ^^^^

Neonist wrote:
Finished the passenger side Manifold and made good progress on the mufflers and exhaust.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Extremely impressive skills! Equally notable is that it's resulting from "...some simple sketches to put the concept together.. LOTS AND LOTS of measuring and planning." Cripes, I'd still be measuring (and scratching my head).

In the end, it's promoting the love of buses. Bravo!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
This thing is sweet. It's no longer a single cab, its a whole new car at this point. A Porsche race truck?

Unfortunately I don't think there is much Porsche here.. Subaru (Fuji Heavy) had Porsche design the intake system for this engine and as you can see that's gone now.

But I do agree with you that it needs another classification. But that's what resto-mods are all about. I do so enjoy the art of foolery. From the outward appearance it will look like a nicely lowered Single cab Will even have a factory color on it.. But that's where it ends.. Originality will only be skin deep.

Nothing wrong with that. Make it drive like a new car, with the style of the old.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
From the outward appearance it will look like a nicely lowered Single cab Will even have a factory color on it.. But that's where it ends.. Originality will only be skin deep.

I really cannot wait to see the finished product.

And my vote is for Mouse Grey or Anthracite Grey. Either one with a deep red interior would make it perfect.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

A little change up on the pedal box after doing some further mock up.

Pedal assembly has been lowered into the floor 1.5", left from center 1.25", master cyl dropped another 15deg, and moved forward 1.5". I also changed the angle of the bevel box to move steering shaft from between brake masters to between clutch and brake cyls. It gives a much better angle for the joint at bevel box as well as a better position for the shaft.

Pedal operation is MUCH better now.. Now they operate with a slide of the foot forward instead of a pivot of the ankle.

Color is finalized at dove blue. still going back and forth on painted bumpers and painted trim or chrome.

Last edited by Neonist on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Sorry no strange photos or crazy parts.. Have been working on the truck in other ways by procuring all of the engine rebuild parts. Feat in itself as this is a 20+ year old engine that was discontinued in 1998...

I also got an AWSOME shipment of some Green Funky panels from our friends to the south. I will probably take a little heat for these from my purist friends but hey I think that will look cool, I really like the look of the smooth gates so I ordered a set of outer panels to refurbish the gates I have.. Excited to see how those turn out..

I also went thru a 2 day technical class at Haltech on programing the EFI ecu that I am using for this project. Surprisingly there is quite a bit of technology going into making this truck run. Yes I got a little wound up at the though of adding torque management and traction control. That is a MAJOR departure from this trucks simple and utilitarian beginnings.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Shocked Cool Popcorn
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Finishing up the rear suspension.

Last edited by Neonist on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Mind blowing stuff for those of us who are simple homegrown wrenches.

Keep it up!
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Well with the recent advents with PB ill post this here until I can figure something else out..

https://toddbudde.smugmug.com/VW-SCTT/
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

So I'm wondering... Is there a way to get that motor / trans out of there?

It's an awesome project though. Super strong frame you got there. Probably a little under engineered for it's purpose, and by that I mean it's over built. I say that thinking of the frame on my 93 F150 in comparison, its just two C Channel rails down the sides and a couple of cross brases.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Yes the engine and trans in one assembly out the top. The opening that you see will have a hinged hood so that normal service can be performed as well. There is a removable crossmemebr under the trans that allows the trans to drop, tilt up and out.

I have had others coment about the chassis. All of the rec tube is identical in dimension to the pressed and folded sections of the stock SC. I have added some additional cross supporting to eliminate frame twist as well as reinforce areas for the mid mounting of the engine. All of the suspension has been CAD designed and tested. This isn't a 40HP truck. Its a twin turbo flat six and will produce 400+ hp and 275+ ftlbs of torque. Its not a bus.. Look at the frame a SC has. What you are seeing is the load bed. Same rails.. Same hat sections.. Same structures as a factory SC. The VW is a unibody type construction its structure comes from its welded panels, triangulate configurations and subframes.

Your 93 F150 probably has 200hp.. And has lots of heavy gauge stamped metal panels. The frame is 1/4" hydro formed steel and probably weights over 1100lbs.

vwkirb wrote:
So I'm wondering... Is there a way to get that motor / trans out of there?

It's an awesome project though. Super strong frame you got there. Probably a little under engineered for it's purpose, and by that I mean it's over built. I say that thinking of the frame on my 93 F150 in comparison, its just two C Channel rails down the sides and a couple of cross brases.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Your fab skills are way beyond anything I have ever see here, or on tv for that matter. Waaaay cool stuff.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I see, out through the top... I was still thinking out the bottom like the traditional set up.

I did think about how much a beast that motor is and it's definently a chassis that will hold it. Luckly that thing won't drive like like a 93 F150 Laughing

Trust me I'm drooling because I have day dreamed about a project like this one many a time.
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

One question on your rear bearing carrier, are you going to use a thru bolt to pick up the shock mount as seen
(I understand it for mocking) or maybe a double shear system for the shock attachment for a two bolt system?
Fixed toe as well?
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

single shear for mock up at this point. I'm on the fence with building a pushrod-rocker setup and moving the shock inboard. If I decide to keep it this way I will bring a tab over from the control arm to pick up that outside load.

Setup is toe adjustable between the inboard adjusters and the single on the outboard. Only a few deg of toe would be required if any. Most of my IRS units in the past keep the toe at 0deg and preform quite well.

63single wrote:
One question on your rear bearing carrier, are you going to use a thru bolt to pick up the shock mount as seen
(I understand it for mocking) or maybe a double shear system for the shock attachment for a two bolt system?
Fixed toe as well?
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Now I see the adjustable rod ends.. Excellent work by the way.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

After doing some thinking I'm going to change out the shock setup. I will move the shock inboard and use a pushrod/rocker system. One of the keys is reducing the unsprung weight. It will also allow for a wider rear wheel in the future if the 8.5" wheels I have now don't provide enough traction for the power levels. I will be able to get a 12" wheel and tire back there.
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful fabrication and attention to detail, plenty of talent on display in those pics.

Looking forward to watching the progress and eventual test drive!
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

photobucket take a crap again?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: