Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Ray, the bellows on the Beseler enlargers are a bit stiffer than what I applied that goop to (4x5 Omega View), but I would think it would be good, albeit not the grey color of the Beseler bellows. So coat the whole thing and make it uniform.

Boot longevity in my mind needs to last the interval of CV joint servicing, so material used would not need to live past five years I would think. That said, I would be happy to pay twice what I have been paying for boots that will last more than three years without troubling signs of pending annoyance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Ray, the bellows on the Beseler enlargers are a bit stiffer than what I applied that goop to (4x5 Omega View), but I would think it would be good, albeit not the grey color of the Beseler bellows. So coat the whole thing and make it uniform.

Boot longevity in my mind needs to last the interval of CV joint servicing, so material used would not need to live past five years I would think. That said, I would be happy to pay twice what I have been paying for boots that will last more than three years without troubling signs of pending annoyance.

I agree. I would pay just about 3X what is commonly being charged for a "mystery boot"...and would agree with the joint boot only needing to last as long as the service interval....if you could guarantee that it lasts.

The sad thing is that unless you have a line on cheap HIGH QUALITY CV joints....failure early...on quality parts that are getting harder and harder to find....is not tolerable.
Bus ball joints...same issue....and ball joints for buses are easy to find compared to the ball joints on my 412. We need better boots.

Yes....that FKM Viton compound is $300 a gallon....but what I would need for each boot....it comes out to about $3-4 worth of material per boot. And would be about the same for the silicone inner layer. A maximum of about $16 of material per complete four boot set.

And...they could easily last 2-3 grease changes from the test data on this material so far. So if so...thats a BIG bonus.

The FKM compound is used as an anti abrasion coating for jet engine inlets...and has about a 3500 hour lifespan in that usage....and is good to over 400F. Wink

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Just a quick update on my recently failed Neoprene CV Boot. This one split open at the axle end, but on closer inspection, it really wasn't too bad, otherwise. Again this is a neoprene boot after 4 years and 40,000 miles.

Here's a picture of the outside of the boot, stretched out to reveal the surface cracking in the valleys of the pleats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And below is a picture of the inside surface of the same area. It looks brand new. It's plyable, and gives me no indication at all that the grease is somehow attacking it.

Of the 2 boots, one is still in service, and this one tore in a spot that did not have much surface cracking. Seeing that the surface cracking really is not going as deep into the rubber as I initially suspected, perhaps this one just got cut by road debris or something.

In the short term, I'm just going to replace this one with an EMPI, which appears identical to the Moog / Precision Axle branded boots (it has the same "MBI" stamp on the metal collar and the same "86-1086C" cast into the rubber).

I'm also going to try matching what's left of my old boot to an OEM, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Chevy, Dodge, or otherwise mass produced modern car. It was pretty easy to un-crimp the old boot from the metal collar, so if I find something close, I'll make it fit.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Also, I purchased some of that Nexzett Gummi Pfledge a previous poster suggested and applied that to my remaining CV boots. The stuff is a thin milky liquid that seems to absorb well into aged rubber, but balls up and rolls off of brand new rubber. I kind of thought it would be more waxy

I also put some on all my window seals and dabbed some in a test area on one of my tires. It seems to have the same effect on the rubber as Armor-all, but without the shiny stickiness that Armor-all gets.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Just picked up 4 Beck Arnley boots from Rockauto for $41.50 delivered. They are MBI boots and came with bolts and grease.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

I'm beginning to see a pattern here that the neoprene boots are all coming from MBI, no matter what the brand. so far, EMPI, Moog, Precision Axle, and Beck Arnly Neoprene are the same boots.

After dissecting my last failed one, I'm beginning to think the grease is not what's killing them, but rather it's Ozone or Heat, or fatigue from flexing. I'm trying the Nexzet Gummi Fledge on the outside of the boots for a little extra protection, but it gets completely removed after a drive in the rain and won't apply at all to a brand new boot, so I'm just going to smear some plain old Vasaline on them next.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
I'm beginning to see a pattern here that the neoprene boots are all coming from MBI, no matter what the brand. so far, EMPI, Moog, Precision Axle, and Beck Arnly Neoprene are the same boots.

After dissecting my last failed one, I'm beginning to think the grease is not what's killing them, but rather it's Ozone or Heat, or fatigue from flexing. I'm trying the Nexzet Gummi Fledge on the outside of the boots for a little extra protection, but it gets completely removed after a drive in the rain and won't apply at all to a brand new boot, so I'm just going to smear some plain old Vasaline on them next.

I meant to answer when you lsst posted. I will make a better note later today.....but actually from the pictures you posted....yes....the grease IS "part" of the issue. It always is and always will be with Neoprene. Its just...."ok"....for petroleum based greases.

The problem is that from your last post after looking at the inside...you noted that they look "brand new"....when in fact if you know what to look for....they do not look brand new.

People who do not work with elastomers for a living have a habit of thinking that "attack" by a solvent or chemical means.....melting or corrosion.....which is not true.

Also.....you should ask yourself why the valleys of the outside of the boot.....are the most damaged.....and yet are the least exposed.....and no more or less stressed in operation than the outer corresponding peaks of the bellows.

When greases attack rubber from contact....yes....they soften the rubber at the surface....but do not melt it. The softening pulls plasticizers out of the surface rubber. More plasticizers migrate to replenish that now more dry area....makong the whole criss section more brittle and prone to cracking. Ray
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

So, Ray ... while we have your expertise here... and if you don't mind...

I had a work colleague in a machine shop who liked to smear his boots with DOW #4. It's a silicone-based (I think) release compound. What can you say about that practice?

Yesterday's windshield installer is a fan of using WD-40 on the window rubber. Is that OK?

Also, FWIW, I recently had a tire installer tell me to never put that tire shine crap on my tires -- that it ruins the rubber. Thoughts?

And what about ArmorAll, 303 Protectorant, and Gummi Pfledge?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
So, Ray ... while we have your expertise here... and if you don't mind...

I had a work colleague in a machine shop who liked to smear his boots with DOW #4. It's a silicone-based (I think) release compound. What can you say about that practice?

Yesterday's windshield installer is a fan of using WD-40 on the window rubber. Is that OK?

Also, FWIW, I recently had a tire installer tell me to never put that tire shine crap on my tires -- that it ruins the rubber. Thoughts?

And what about ArmorAll, 303 Protectorant, and Gummi Pfledge?

Windshield gasket rubber....has been universally EPDM since the very end of the 1960s. Fantastic for UV protection, flexibility, ozone and high temperature. Absolutely one of the worst with ANY...ANY...type of petroleum based oils.

Brake cylinder seals are also EPDM....and with self destruct with anything petroleum based.

Putting WD-40 on windshield seals...is very stupid. Yeah...it makes them slick and pliable....more pliable....because it attacks them. Its not the silicone in Wd-40 that attacks them. Its the petroleum carrier thats in it.

Silicone is fine with EPDM.

Yes....most of the the tire shine stuff is a solvent mixed with silicone. Its not the silicone that hurts it...its the solvent. It attacks the surface...softening it to allow silicone to penetrate. But after the silicone washes/wears off....you have a rubber surface that has been penetrated by a solvent and starts to rapidly release its plasticizers...drying out...causing cracking and checking.

The tire shine types that do not hurt your tires...are the thick clear liquid ones that are sold in old whiskey bottles...that are 100% silicone oil.

The sad, sad funny thing is the millions of people in forums and articles all over the internet screaming that silicone hurts your tires and paint.... Laughing ..what bullsh*t!....and the range of products decreeing..."100% silicone free will not hurt tires or paint".

These people are idiots. The SILICONE does not hurt your tires....its teh SOLVENTS and VOC's that most of them mix with the silicone...just like WD-40.

Dow #4 is almost a pure silicone dielectric grease. It should have few if any problems with most rubbers like Nitrile, EPDM, Viton, Neoprene, urethane, silicone etc.

As for Armorall and 303 protectant...I have no idea. I have not really looked them up ..but just looking at their original armorall protectant....and the marvel that the new SDS format since 2013....show's f*ck-all for ingredients....now they only have to list WHAT an ingredient is ...only if its harmful to humans, is reactive or has a CAS #...so you never know what is actually in something to see if it has rubber/plastic compatibility issues.....but it lists 5% mineral oil WHICH IS BAD for EPDM windshield and door seals.....even dashboard vinyl... is just "decent/good" with mineral oil.

I quit using armorall many years ago because eventually over time it makes most vinyls and door seals "gummy" as it slowly breaks them down.

The 303 protectant...they list as "water based"....which is not actually true. Its listed as a solvent....probably because its actually a surfactant which can be a water based solvent. It shows 11 ingredients...7 of which are listed as proprietary meaning they will not tell you what they are.

One of the ingredients ...glucitol (sorbital) does poorly with Nitrile...but its such a small amount.....about 1%...and the only other ingredients they identify are magnesium nitrate (used in mixing water based solutions), water...and ethylene glycol.

So...they tell you what the "soup" is made of...its a water/ethylene glycol suspension....but they do not tell you what in it. I would not use it on any rare and hard to find rubber items

Back to the neoprene in the CV boots.....be sure that you do not use a synthetic based grease. Neoprene is about 50/50 to 60/40 with petroleum based greases and oils....just rating a 2 on a 4 point scale on most manufacturer compatibility charts.....with 1 being the best....4 being poor/failure.

With synthetic based oils and greases...Neoprene fails. Ester based are worse than the others.

From the earlier pictures:

See the "mottling" in the yellow circle in the picture?...this is what oil or grease attack starts out looking like....and orange peel mottling where the surface is starting to break down.

The injection molds for rubber are MIRROR polished....so you get glossy smooth surfaces like where the yellow arrow is pointing.

All of that being said....if you can get a reliable 3 years ....+....from the boots...and not hit and miss....some dying at 1 year and others at 4 years....I would not hesitate to use them.

CV boots should not be made of neoprene. They should be made of Viton...for heat, oils and ozone.....and for many years they were. I think the current boots used by the OEMs MUST still be Viton or you would NEVER get 6-7 years and 150k miles from them..... but...Viton is expensive. "Good" Viton is even more expensive these days.

A lot of manufacturers have been changing to blends of neoprene on all kinds of products previously made of Viton...as a cost cutting measure.

Ray
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Wow, Ray -- what a lot of great information. Thanks!

Couple of follow-ups?

You are right about Dow #4 as a dielectric. I misspoke -- I meant to ask about Dow #7, a release agent.

Now that I have treated my window seals with WD-40 at the request of the installer (grr), is there anything I can do to help them? Now that the WD-40 has attacked the rubber and opened it up, would adding silicone to the seal be of benefit, for example? Or do I just let these fail and count on replacing them in a few years?

I looked up the MSDS for 303 Protectorant. It is called a "solvent mixture", so there's a red flag. But, as you said, they do not list the actual ingredients. It's all "proprietary". The chemical industry really has little interest, it seems, in public health and safety. They will hide their ingredients in the name of trade secrets.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Glycerin
https://www.google.com/search?ei=oIcAW6acFYi48APrr...2QGRSljeBw
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wow, Ray -- what a lot of great information. Thanks!

Couple of follow-ups?

You are right about Dow #4 as a dielectric. I misspoke -- I meant to ask about Dow #7, a release agent.

Now that I have treated my window seals with WD-40 at the request of the installer (grr), is there anything I can do to help them? Now that the WD-40 has attacked the rubber and opened it up, would adding silicone to the seal be of benefit, for example? Or do I just let these fail and count on replacing them in a few years?

I looked up the MSDS for 303 Protectorant. It is called a "solvent mixture", so there's a red flag. But, as you said, they do not list the actual ingredients. It's all "proprietary". The chemical industry really has little interest, it seems, in public health and safety. They will hide their ingredients in the name of trade secrets.

I had to look up dow #7. Its a release agent.....general release agent.....basically used tk keep rubber from sticking to things.

Again.....the available msds sheets are cryptic. It lists about 7% silicone dioxide. It also lists as fairly safe for all rubber except butyl rubber....and silicone....which makes me think that its mainly a silicone oil....and thickening agent and silicone dioxide to keep it free flowing.

I say that....because even though silicone is good with most rubber types.....butyl rubber is not "great" with it. It causes swelling. And.....I should have mentioned this earlier....silicone attacks/slowly dissolves a lot of silicone rubbers.....because its one of the ingredients it is made with.

As Tcash mentioned....for windshield and door gaskets glycerin or glycerol is really good. It has no issues with any rubber that I know of....but....use it sparingly. It may need to be rinsed off in some places or it can leave a sticky residue.

WD-40 for use as an installation lube on windshield gaskets ....a quick one time....sparing use....will probably not be a big deal. However....the reason that can be hit or miss...depends on how low of porosity the rubber seals have on the outer surface. So its about molding quality and pressure in the mold. No way you can know that.....so its best not to use it.

If after a fairly short time.....say 1 to 1.5 years.....your windshield seals starting getting that dried out white-ish look in spots......and 1 to 1.5 years is a short period of time for EPDM in the outdoors......you can rest assured that a good portion of that is due to the inital use of a solvent like WD-40 on it.

It does not melt the EPDM rubber. It weakens it and soaks into it....and breaks down some of the bonds of whatever it can reach before it evaporates. Ray
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
See the "mottling" in the yellow circle in the picture?...this is what oil or grease attack starts out looking like....and orange peel mottling where the surface is starting to break down.

Yes, I do see that now, and you're right; by comparison, the new boots have a more consistent glassy looking surface finish. Would have never spotted it, but as you pointed out, you have to know what to look for. Thank you for that Very Happy

So the neoprene lasts longer than the previous generation rubber compounds for bus boots, but nowhere near as long as the original. I don't think Viton was around 40 years ago, so what were the originals made of?

If the plasticizers are migrating from the outside in, then is there a way to replenish the plasticizers on the outside as preventive maintenance? My guess is that once they're gone, there's no getting them back in, so application of a protectant on the outside won't really help anything.

I haven't taken my old boot to the junkyard yet to see if it matches up to any modern mass produced cars, but no OEM is going to source a boot that won't last 7+ years and 100K miles for their cars. However, your point about manufacturers sourcing cheaper compounds like neoprene in the name of cost cutting, is probably valid with their OEM replacement parts, since they don't need to offer a long warranty period with those. It could be that the only way to get a decent boot is to re-use one off a recently crashed new vehicle; what a pain in the a$$.......
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Yes, I do see that now, and you're right; by comparison, the new boots have a more consistent glassy looking surface finish. Would have never spotted it, but as you pointed out, you have to know what to look for. Thank you for that Very Happy

So the neoprene lasts longer than the previous generation rubber compounds for bus boots, but nowhere near as long as the original. I don't think Viton was around 40 years ago, so what were the originals made of?

If the plasticizers are migrating from the outside in, then is there a way to replenish the plasticizers on the outside as preventive maintenance? My guess is that once they're gone, there's no getting them back in, so application of a protectant on the outside won't really help anything.

I haven't taken my old boot to the junkyard yet to see if it matches up to any modern mass produced cars, but no OEM is going to source a boot that won't last 7+ years and 100K miles for their cars. However, your point about manufacturers sourcing cheaper compounds like neoprene in the name of cost cutting, is probably valid with their OEM replacement parts, since they don't need to offer a long warranty period with those. It could be that the only way to get a decent boot is to re-use one off a recently crashed new vehicle; what a pain in the a$$.......

Viton is just one MAJOR brand name of fluoroelastomer rubber.....and there are numerous types.
The brand name....Viton.....hit the market in 1958. So yes.....vit9n has bedn around and been used in probably 100% of all IRS CV joints.

Bearing in mind....that before IRS.....the CV boots of VWs....did not deal with greases. They dealt with gear oils. Just as chemically nasty but from different directions.

Neoprene has been around a long time too. All of these rubber types are constantly being reformulated. Ray
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

The pleat area flexes far more than the exposed outer edge of the boot when the wheel is turning. Dirt is more likely to be trapped there allowing for more wear of the boot.

I'm still using a set of Lobro boots that I installed in 1998. They are now showing subtle signs of wear.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
The pleat area flexes far more than the exposed outer edge of the boot when the wheel is turning. Dirt is more likely to be trapped there allowing for more wear of the boot.

I'm still using a set of Lobro boots that I installed in 1998. They are now showing subtle signs of wear.

Actually...with regard to the pleats flexing more.....yes....and no not really. The pleats in the valleys....the inner pleats.... where he has cracks...actually flex no more than the pleats at the peaks. They are both pleats. However you see virtually no grease on the inside of those outer peak areas.

But....you are also partly spot on....that dirt ....and water in that dirt... getting trapped in the valleys where it can also attack the rubber. The outer pleats on the peaks stay cleaner.

And.....another part of your point that I have long been saying should be designed out....is that in the sides of the bellows segments.....not the valleys....not the peaks....but the expanse of rubber between them.....get lots of wear from grit and grease. In dusty or wet weather muddy areas I have seen the sides wear through on some boots where they contact face to face when flexing.

There actually just is not need for all of the ribs on a CV bellows. I think its a long standing design leftover....like a "vestigial tail" Laughing

I mean....look at the sperical or bulb shaped, non-pleated boot that you see covering CV joints or U-joints for PTO units for industrial shaft drives or tractor accesory drives.....that have maybe 1-2 pleats or none at all. They have equal or more flex range....and can actually be pumped FULL of grease so that each revolution or turn of the shaft ....pumps that grease through the joint.

Yep....I dont doubt a bit that your 1998 boot is still kicking ass. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

Elon Musk recently launched a Tesla minus an engine. I has the finest quality parts in it available these days. The estimate is that organics in the car (including plastics) won't last longer than a year because of the UV and cosmic rays. https://www.livescience.com/61680-will-spacex-roadster-survive-in-space.html

FWIW maybe folks are looking at the CV boot issue hoping that a chemist or a witch doctor somewhere can come up with a brew that lasts. Just replace those things every few years when you repack and you'll be fine.

udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Elon Musk recently launched a Tesla minus an engine. I has the finest quality parts in it available these days. The estimate is that organics in the car (including plastics) won't last longer than a year because of the UV and cosmic rays. https://www.livescience.com/61680-will-spacex-roadster-survive-in-space.html

FWIW maybe folks are looking at the CV boot issue hoping that a chemist or a witch doctor somewhere can come up with a brew that lasts. Just replace those things every few years when you repack and you'll be fine.

With the right boot re-packing is not needed. The CV boots that I installed in 1998 (Lobro) have not been off since then. This is not a job that should be needed every few years.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
SGKent wrote:

With the right boot re-packing is not needed. The CV boots that I installed in 1998 (Lobro) have not been off since then. This is not a job that should be needed every few years.

Ditto.

Also....if one craps out quick....like many have in 6 months to a year...and you are on an all day drive through dusty or rainy areas...and do not notice the boot has crapped the bed...several hundred miles ago....and it chews up a good German joint...thats not worthy.

While I inspect under my cars on a regular basis....having the low/variable quality of boots we have.....means now I must inspect every day on every trip? Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots - Finally found some quality made boots that last Reply with quote

just carry saran wrap for cracked boots like Colin does.....

Ignoring maintenance on a CV joint will not make it last longer. They do require periodic greasing and cleaning because the old grease does get dirty. Even if the boot is perfectly intact it gets particles of metal in it as the CV wears.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: