Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need help removing ignition from 70 bus steering column
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuabozarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: need help removing ignition from 70 bus steering column Reply with quote

here a picture part i need out i don't know if you need the keys or not but i don't have any. i can't figure out how to get the damn thing out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
that70s_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two set screws in two of the mounting holes that held the ignition housing to the dash support. you need to remove those. if you dont already have the key portion removed you must remove it first.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in Bentley and it wasn't there so this from a 40 year memory. I seem to recall that the lock tumbler mechanism is a pop in that is held in by a spring band. The lock tumbler has to come out to have room to pull anythnig else. And that to pull the tumbler out you have to find a small hole on the topside of the lock cylinder which you can get to only by bending a coat hanger and fishing for the hole. Once the lock tumbler us released, then if you have the 1971 style you can replace the lock body and ignition switch with a couple of small screws. On the 1970 and earlier I think the lock body is a part of the housing. I still have the tool I made because it was such a PITA and although I maybe wrong, I think you will need something like this to get around the lock housing on the inside of the steering lock housing so you can press that black spring and release the tumbler. At least on a 1971. On our 1977 we had to drill a small hole to reach that black clip as VW no longer provided one in the lock housing. The 1971 thing was kind of a only a lock smith or dealer would know thing.

You can see the black spring clip that you have to press in this photo.

this is what the tool looks like that presses (actually pulls it) in. The curve which is about the size of dime wraps around the cylinder, through the hole and then you can pull on the other end and the black spring will depress, Then the lock tumbler will come out and then everything else can be taken apart as needed. If all you need is to replace the lock tumbler then this tool will pop it out once you have access to the bottom of the lock housing so you can reach around and find that small tiny hole that if I remember is hardly even visible with the lock housing in. SOME ONE ELSE VERIFY THIS PLEASE cause I've worked on lots of cars and this could be from a Rabbit I worked on a long time ago too.

foxtail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ.html I think it is here were you will find detailed photos on how to do it. I also had to replace mine the hardest part is finding that button to push then working out the guts. I did have my whole column out.

64 bug
64 bus
59 ghia
71 bus
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya josh,

Steve's pretty close with his suggestions.

For a 1970 don't bother with any other website suggestions and/or procedures. They simply do not apply to a 288A ignition housing which is what VW was using in 1970 in their Type 2s. Further, in an effort to maintain vehicle security VW made changes in these housing on an almost yearly basis. And these changes were, more often than not, undocumented. For example, in the case of the 288A housing, Karl Von Salzen and I looked and never found any reference to its even having been used in production. Top secret stuff apparently.

Anyway in order to remove the 288A housing you will need a pair of pliers, a length of coathanger wire, and a dental pick (in lieu of a key). On the 288A you will notice a projection to the rear with a rubber cap (the cap may or may not be present). Pull out that rubber plug/cap with your pliers. Insert the coat hanger wire in the resulting hole in order to depress the black leaf spring shown in Steve's picture. This part of the operation is one of "feel". You have to get the feel of depressing that inner spring. At the same time you are depressing the spring with the coat hanger, insert your dental pick into the keyway and pull gently. When you get the spring depressed correctly the key way should pull out with the dental pick. With all other bolts undone this should free the ignition housing from the steering column support bracket.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VW_PDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I am hoping that someone will still be able to help me out here. I have been trying to remove the ignition key lock tumbler from my ignition housing for two days, but I can't seem to get it. This is from a 1971 bus with no key.

From all the posts I have read, there is supposed to be a small spring in the back of the housing that releases the lock tumbler... but I can't seem to get to it. I have tried using a wire hanger.... But to no avail...

So, since I don't need to have the lock tumbler that is currently in there, is it ok to drill out the lock that is there. Are there any parts inside the housing that I need to be aware of? Or is the housing a pure cylinder? Meaning if I use a large drill bit, will I mess anything up that needs to be there, as I drill out the lock tumbler.

Maybe there is some other way to get to the spring? I am pretty sure that 1971 has the spring release in the back of the tumbler housing, from what I have read. A lot of the posts only deal with removing the ignition switch... that was easy... But getting the ignition key tumbler out is a PITA... Have I been wasting my time... ?

Is there a tool I can buy that does this? This seems to be quite difficult to do. Which of course makes perfect sense...

ok thanks in advance...

cheers,
Steff
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to find the hole. the wire goes in and releases the spring. you need something to put into the key slot (even a incorrect key will work) and pull it out when you release the spring.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VW_PDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - ok - I found these posts:

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424038&highlight=ignition+lock+1971

they both seem to make it look possible.

Perhaps my wire isn't strong enough.
I will keep trying to get this free. I really don't want to drill anything.

thanks @skills@eurocarsplus

cheers
VW_PDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap!!! Must be the luck of the Forum!!! The Samba Good Fortune.
I spent 4 hrs yesterday trying to do this. Today I post and the thing pops out in 4 mins...
unreal....

for anyone still wondering - you can see the little hole on the housing that you need to really push hard on.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can see the housing has a ramp cast into it so you can get it in the hole. I guess putting hair around it would not have worked near as well. also, as you found out, you need a good stiff rod with a bit of girth to get it done. otherwise, if your rod isn't stiff enough it's like playing pool with a rope

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, since I don't need to have the lock tumbler that is currently in there, is it ok to drill out the lock that is there.

Yes, I've done it twice. Start right in the middle of where the key inserts with a 1/4 drill. Use you new lock cylinder to gauge how far in to push the drill. Slowly enlarge the hole up to 1/2 or so. If you look at the lock tang on your new cylinder closely and compare it to the one you're drilling you see which direction to remove material. Soon you'll get to a point where you see the lock tang from the inside. Then you can grab it with a pick and pull the wrecked cylinder out of the housing. Blow away some chips, slam in your new cylinder, and you're off to the races. No need to remove any screws at all. I'll bet now that I've done it a couple times I could do this job in 10 minutes. The lock cylinder is made of soft metal compared to the housing so if the drill wanders a bit it should be noticeable before damage to the house occurs.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Next time I'll be sure and document the carnage.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobinLee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
So, since I don't need to have the lock tumbler that is currently in there, is it ok to drill out the lock that is there.

Yes, I've done it twice. Start right in the middle of where the key inserts with a 1/4 drill. Use you new lock cylinder to gauge how far in to push the drill. Slowly enlarge the hole up to 1/2 or so. If you look at the lock tang on your new cylinder closely and compare it to the one you're drilling you see which direction to remove material. Soon you'll get to a point where you see the lock tang from the inside. Then you can grab it with a pick and pull the wrecked cylinder out of the housing. Blow away some chips, slam in your new cylinder, and you're off to the races. No need to remove any screws at all. I'll bet now that I've done it a couple times I could do this job in 10 minutes. The lock cylinder is made of soft metal compared to the housing so if the drill wanders a bit it should be noticeable before damage to the house occurs.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Next time I'll be sure and document the carnage.

Aeromech,

Any advice about how to get the cylinder out once the spring is disengaged? I used your method and was very happy to get to the spring and be able to depress it but the cylinder won't budge. Tried a hammer and chisel and some screwdrivers wedged in the outsides of the cylinder. Now I'm stumped!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must either be some crap between the outside of the cylinder and the lock assy or you aren't releasing the spring catch completely. Once the spring is released what remains of the cylinder should slide right out.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't drill mine but I did blast it with some liquid wrench to free the crud and it pulled right out with the spring depressed. I used an old key put in a bind in the cylinder to pull it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RobinLee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it! It seems like the spring was depressed on the upper part and not the lower part. A good night's sleep helped me calm down and route it out more. Thanks for the help!

And here is a photo for future reference. The hole is where the spring was before I yanked it enough to pull it out, about 11:00. I was doubtful that I'd be able to see the spring easily but it was obvious when I was right on top of it because it's in its own little channel (the hole shown in the photo).

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. Now that you've done it... would you do it again? And if you did I bet you'd go a lot faster. This is actually a 20 minute job.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
RobinLee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually meant to say that earlier - that I would definitely do this method again if I needed to. Would be a cinch the second time knowing exactly where that spring is and what it looks like!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
We could probably make a good living stealing buses couldn't we?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
RobinLee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only bus owners weren't such nice people . . . Wink
wacarone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: ignition cylinder Reply with quote

Hey, need help. I got the lock cylinder out of the housing....took an extra set of hands. When the lock popped out of the housing we think something went flying to the back of the bus!! Now the key doesn't spring back to the run position. Is there a spring just under the cylinder? Also the little door was off the housing....could something have come from there??
i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: