Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Hello all, in this thread I will be cataloging through pictures and videos my project of bringing a 1977 Westfalia "Campmobile" back to prime condition.

I will preface everything by saying that I am an 18 year old shade tree small engine mechanic, I am not a professional, and I am not a rich man. But I am doing my best and learning as I go.

Where I live, in northern ohio, Aircooled VW's are somewhat of a rarity due to the harsh winters and absolute piles of salt on the roads. Up until I found this bus, I had never seen any sort of aircooled VW (running or otherwise) in my town. I assumed they were all long gone.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, (where this story really begins) I was out for a walk and happened to glance up the driveway of an older, kind of overgrown house with a completely torn up driveway. To my amazement I saw an old, seemingly abandoned Bay window bus parked there. Dirty, half buried behind lumber scraps and wheelbarrows. But it existed.

I stopped back a day later and met with the owner who was out working on repairing his wrecked driveway, through talking with him I discovered he was the original owner and had taken very good care of the bus in it's lifetime, always having it undercoated, not driving it in the winter, regular maintenance etc. hence the almost unbelievable condition of the thing.

He explained to me that he had been daily driving the bus up until about 5 years ago, when someone rear ended the bus while it was parked on the street. He was gutted, the bumper and rear door were ruined, the back hatch bar was badly bent and rubbing on the cooling fan, and worst of all the insurance company totaled his beloved bus.

I told him that I would love to buy it from him and bring it back to life in my spare time, He thought about it for a short time and asked how much I'd offer. I almost jokingly said that I would offer him something like $1000-$1500 for it. He said he'd get back to me after repairing his driveway.

Fast forward roughly 2-1/2 weeks and I get a phone call... "Sure" he says. "Give me $1500 and I'll give you the keys"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here's what I knew from the onset.

It's in very good condition, absolutely zero undercarriage rust (Still undercoated), Minor dogleg and fender rust, But nothing some metal and filler cannot repair.

Rear collision damage, Should be repairable. He bought a new bumper (It's inside the bus) which makes my life a whole lot easier. I will attempt to straighten the rear door, But may end up purchasing a good used.

Interior is literally perfect, It's gorgeous. It literally looks like it's never been camped in. front seats are perfect, dash is perfect, all mattresses and cloth is perfect. Stove and sink is perfect. You name it. Perfect.

Needs a new camper canvas, It's been used so little it's just completely dry rotted.

The engine was last run 3 years ago.

Full service history from the original purchase receipt.

150K miles.

Fuel injected, Type 4 engine.

I'm in love.

Stay tuned.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

====IT LIVES====

First thing to do was to remove all 4 plugs and lube the cylinders, I may be an amateur, But I'm no idiot. I know all too well what happens with stuck rings.

Let it sit for a day with oil in it, and then cranked with no plugs in, let it sit another day and put plugs back in. making compression on all 4 cylinders.

Next thing to do was refill the fuel tank with fresh gas and some STA-BIL to hopefully neutralize the old fuel that was in there.

I recharged the battery and came back bright and early to try and start the bus.

I cranked and cranked but it just wouldn't fire on it's own, So I bottle fed it on some 50:1 fuel mix.

As soon as I primed the engine it started and ran smooth!!

I primed it several more times hoping it would just "catch" and keep going.. But alas no such luck.

Removed the "Check plug" on the fuel rail and checked for fuel pressure. Nope, nada, nil.

Whacked fuel pump with a deadblow mallet. No dice.

Removed fuel pump and found it seized.

Ordered a new pump and filter for about $112 from Bosh.

How it currently sits.

You cant tell due to my absurdly long hair, but I'm absolutely grinning like an idiot. This was the first time it ran for more than a second or two.

I am making a full video log to post on my small engine repair channel, First part of which should be up soon.

Stay tuned.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to TheSamba!
Love your bus, great backstory, I'll bet the guy was really happy that it was going to someone who'll enjoy it?
Hope it brings you great fun and adventures, I'd love to see pics of the interior. Sounds like you're well prepared for the mechanicals ahead, well done for getting her running. Looking forward to seeing the pics after a good wash, Polish and wax too! Very Happy

Following...

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Link

First part of the video series.

Stay tuned.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Here's a word of advice...when something doesn't work...don't just start smacking it with a hammer. Not sure where in Ohio you are but there's a big show coming up in a couple weeks near Columbus. Look up the COVVC Volksfest in Pataskala, great show and always a good swap. There's also the best campout every year the same weekend in Mt. Vernon. Dixie Bus Gathering. All the cool kids will be there, even if you don't have your Bus on the road yet feel free to stop but and check out all of the Buses at the show and the campground!
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Here's a word of advice...when something doesn't work...don't just start smacking it with a hammer.

Haha, Yeah. I know, I figured the old wives tale was worth a shot since I was just going to buy a new one anyway.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Looks like it's in pretty good shape! Looking forward to seeing the interior pictures! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

You win some, You lose some.

Got the new fuel pump and filter in the mail, And set about installing them. This went fairly smoothly, other than getting covered in semi-stagnant gas multiple times.

I checked and double checked the wiring, tightened the fittings, and set to test.

However the battery was dead, Strange. So I decided to jump start it. This is where things go wrong.

The Previous Owner was there and I had him connect the jumper cables to the bus end, While I connected them to my car. My jumper cables are really old and not color coded well. and.. You guessed it. backwards.

There were the obvious sparks, and I disconnected them quickly. But I fear there's lasting damage (More later)

However, Upon reconnecting the battery terminals the correct way, It started right up and ran very smoothly. Good acceleration, no stutters, no smoke. Just purred quietly.

But as I said before, I think there's lasting damage. because It seems as though I'm not generating electricity, Generator lamp is on and the engine dies as soon as you remove external power. I have no idea if I was generating electricity before, but I'm almost positive my mistake broke something..

I assume there's some kind of protection diode/fuse?

Give it to me straight, How badly did I screw up?
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba.

I'm glad you are taking your time with this bus and doing your best to preserve it and get it running properly. I think most of us Bay owners actually love these old vehicles and want to see them taken care of.

FIRST thing you need to do now is order this kit https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18629&cat=&page=1

Then pull your fuel injectors and send them off for cleaning (there are 5. One for each cylinder and one on the air intake distributor)
http://www.witchhunter.com/
There are other places to get them cleaned but I used Witchhunter and they will have them back to you in about a week or less.

As far as connecting the battery backwards, I can't comment too much on. I would assume it would have only damaged your battery if anything but someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in and let you know.
I would pull the alternator and have it tested at your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). Sounds like the Alternator is bad if it dies after the jumper battery is disconnected.

Anyways. Good luck and I'm looking forward to following your process.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

pull the altenator as you blew out the diodes by jumping it backwards.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I have recharged the battery, And it now starts almost instantly and runs very nicely indeed. I mean, I see no reason why it wouldn't as the Previous Owner had the engine completely rebuilt under 40K miles ago (Thank god for full service history). I have yet to drive the bus on the road, as I don't have plates. But took it for a spin up and down the driveway and all seemed to work.

However, my alternator is dead. I think I'll just buy a good used or rebuilt alternator and then attempt to repair this one as a spare.

Zelten: Thanks a lot for the links, I was personally just planning on buying a large amount of hose and cutting it myself. Is this a bad idea? I'm not unskilled when it comes to mechanics, and well versed in the principles of copying hoses (I have owned many old Toyotas, Vacuum lines galore).

I will look into getting the injectors cleaned.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Oh, One other issue.

The pump for the sink runs constantly, that must've been what was draining my battery before.

I pulled out the fuse for it, But I'm looking for some way to disable it permanently, as I have no plans on ever using it while camping. Some kind of inline switch perhaps mounted under the dash?
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

The sink gets power from a cable that comes from under the dash around the corner of the driver seat pedestal into the spare tire compartment and the behind the cabinet up ton the switch. Easiest way to disconnect the pump is to take out the shelves under the sink and disconnect the power cable from the switch. Too easy.
As for the fuel hose, as long as it's rated for fuel injection pressure you can make your own hose. But for the price it's nice to have everything cut to length and proper clamps to just switch out with.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
The sink gets power from a cable that comes from under the dash around the corner of the driver seat pedestal into the spare tire compartment and the behind the cabinet up ton the switch. Easiest way to disconnect the pump is to take out the shelves under the sink and disconnect the power cable from the switch. Too easy.
As for the fuel hose, as long as it's rated for fuel injection pressure you can make your own hose. But for the price it's nice to have everything cut to length and proper clamps to just switch out with.

Wow, That's convenient. I don't plan on using either the propane stove or the sink. So I'm thinking I will build a wooden cover to turn them into a table/work surface.

One of my reasons for wanting to do the hoses myself is because it's considerably less expensive.

But you have to understand, Being 18 and no longer in school. I have money, But I have lots of time. and I don't mind spending extra time on something if it means saving money to put towards other things on this bus. Such as new rubber, or new brakepads, accessories, canvas, or even tanks of gas for trips.

I hope people can understand this without being horribly derisive of my minor frugalities.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I understand that. I was 18 once. But one thing you must ensure you do correctly is replace the fuel lines. Because the fuel tank is higher than the engine, if a line breaks and there is a fire, the fuel will continue to flow even if you shut off the motor. Not the whole tank but whatever is between the pump and the injectors.
Many buses have burnt to death. I would hate for that to happen to yours.
Make the lines yourself but ensure you have the correct hose. That's all I'm saying.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
I understand that. I was 18 once. But one thing you must ensure you do correctly is replace the fuel lines. Because the fuel tank is higher than the engine, if a line breaks and there is a fire, the fuel will continue to flow even if you shut off the motor. Not the whole tank but whatever is between the pump and the injectors.
Many buses have burnt to death. I would hate for that to happen to yours.
Make the lines yourself but ensure you have the correct hose. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, New fuel lines are a must.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Read up on all the bus fires and things to prevent before you road trip!
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad about the alternator, right after I put my bus together I threw the battery in late one night to show my dad and hooked it up backwards by accident. I think it was $80 to get it rebuilt locally. I also killed my voltage regulator, so check your voltage after you put the alt back in and make sure you're getting a solid 13-14V when it's running.

Doing fuel lines yourself isn't a huge deal, just make sure you get them all and clamp them down. There are lots of write ups on here. Also do the hose that connects the fuel neck filler to the tank. It's a pain, but often skipped and usually toast.

And good for you for doing it all yourself!
Eighty horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Good find and great story. Those are rare indeed here in the Midwest, I am in Indiana. And you did well on the price, most of what it will need is elbow grease.

One word of advice though: before shelling out to get injectors cleaned up and then putting them back in, check on the condition of the fuel tank re: rust etc. If you have to pull the tank, clean and re-seal (likely after all that sitting) you will want to clean your injectors after all that is done. Not the other way around. I used Rich Jensen of Cruzin Performance in Michigan to clean mine, fast and good communication.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Go to Orielly auto parts, they have the proper Gates fuel hose for you, buy what you need and cut to size

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: