Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
how bout cleaning and repacking wheel bearings while your at it? if so, dont forget to order grease seals. and find a 6’ steel pipe.

Good idea. My service history says that the bearings were only done about 10,000 miles ago. But that was in 2004 Laughing

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yep. Wheel cylinder failed. Also shoes are fairly low, so it's all getting replaced.

Hardware is in fantastic shape though. Zero rust on anything.

Jetfxr69, Checked the bearings. They roll smooth as silk, and the seals are very supple. I think I'm going to leave them alone for the time being?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

if aint broke, dont fix it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Dug into the rear brakes today, discovered that not only was the passenger side cylinder leaking, the drivers side was totally seized. Huh, interesting.

So I rebuilt it all with new cylinders, shoes and hardware in the rear, and new pads in the front. Along with a full fluid purge since the fluid was brown and gross.

The brakes are absolutely phenomenal now, I had honestly never messed with the brakes because I thought they were more than sufficient, but holy crap. The Bus really stops nicely now. Breathe on the pedal and it comes smoothly to a predictable stop. Very nice.

Discovered along the way that I need new e-brake cables (tubes are imploding), and my CV boots are cracked. Guess I need to order some more stuff for next week.

I also was able to source the correct emblem from the classifieds, thanks Karl (I forgot your username).

Also, I am breaking down and taking the bus to a friend of mine's shop next week to have some exhaust work done, which includes drilling out two snapped off studs, and installing all new OEM studs and nuts.

I could have probably done this myself, but I know how good he is with bolt removal. And I honestly would rather pay an 'expert' than risk drilling off center and damaging the head.

This will be the first time I've taken the Bus anywhere for any sort of repair since my ownership. Unless you count an alignment.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Got the Bus back from my friend's ACVW shop, all new studs, nuts, gaskets etc. And the exhaust is absolutely quiet as a mouse. Really pleased with that.

However, now I am able to hear all sorts of other strange noises coming from the engine. It's always sounded a bit rattly/clacky, but I assumed that was because of the manifold leaks.

I think I'm getting close to needing a valve adjustment (2500ish miles since the last one) so I'll get that done tomorrow and see if that quiets it down. If not, I guess next step is to re-torque the heads. (something I've never done, but probably should have already)

Hey, at least the neighbors stopped giving me the hairy eyeball when I drive by.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Valves were about .002 loose all the way around. Dialing those back in quieted the engine down considerably. Which probably shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

I think the next issue is some of my tinwork is vibrating. I need to track down my mechanics stethoscope to figure out where, but I'm probably splitting hairs at this point.

Question about CV axles. Should I just buy the run of the mill $40-60 axles from the typical parts supplier, or shell out for the much more expensive ones from BusDepot? I generally buy the cheapest CV shafts for my regular vehicles, and have gotten over 100K miles out of them.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Valves were about .002 loose all the way around. Dialing those back in quieted the engine down considerably. Which probably shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

I think the next issue is some of my tinwork is vibrating. I need to track down my mechanics stethoscope to figure out where, but I'm probably splitting hairs at this point.

Question about CV axles. Should I just buy the run of the mill $40-60 axles from the typical parts supplier, or shell out for the much more expensive ones from BusDepot? I generally buy the cheapest CV shafts for my regular vehicles, and have gotten over 100K miles out of them.

The consensus around here seems to be; if you have your original axels then rebuild what you have. That could be a matter of cleaning and re-greasing or it could mean new lobro cv joints.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

The consensus around here seems to be; if you have your original axels then rebuild what you have. That could be a matter of cleaning and re-greasing or it could mean new lobro cv joints.

I don't think my axles are original, likely a cheap aftermarket fitted about 30 years ago.

My axles are actually fine, they articulate and roll smoothly. But the boots are perished and splitting. The thought process was to install a new set of axles for instant gratification, and then rebuild the old ones at leisure over the winter.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

I don't think my axles are original, likely a cheap aftermarket fitted about 30 years ago.

My axles are actually fine, they articulate and roll smoothly. But the boots are perished and splitting. The thought process was to install a new set of axles for instant gratification, and then rebuild the old ones at leisure over the winter.

Sounds like a good plan then!
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

It's halloween today, and everything is canceled because here in Ohio, COVID is going bananas.

But I had a funny idea anyway, and with the help of some cardboard and spray-paint. I present:

The pumpkin bus!

This is incredibly silly, I keep laughing every time I look at it.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

That's not silly, Cap... That's brilliant!

We found out Albuquerque has a Halloween tradition called "Trunk-or-Treat", where people give out candy from their cars while parked in a big field. It's the same field, I believe, where the local Bus club hosts a campout during the annual hot air Balloon festival, which was cancelled this year.

It gives kids the opportunity to have a safe candy collecting night.
Since where we live, we get no T-or-T'ers, we had wanted to do it, with orange LED lights inside Chloe, spooky music, a skeleton driver and whatever other hokey Halloween decorations we could come up with.

... until we found out that too had been cancelled. Crying or Very sad

So you managed to make people smile, Cap.
That's a good thing these days. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Sometimes less is more on buses. Sometimes pulling stuff all apart opens a can of worms and you end up with a much bigger and longer job when you “do it right”...hunting for parts as good as the worn ones you could break removing them.

Doing my back brakes since they haven’t been done since the mid 90’s. If I had somewhere to go soon, I would have cleaned them up, cleaned and greased the adjusters and been on my way and I wouldn’t have worried a bit about the brakes. But once you take it all to bits...

Going to weld these up and hit them with Master Series and make it all like new. This would be a dumb idea in June. I have made that mistake before...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Sometimes less is more on buses. Sometimes pulling stuff all apart opens a can of worms and you end up with a much bigger and longer job when you “do it right”...hunting for parts as good as the worn ones you could break removing them.

Doing my back brakes since they haven’t been done since the mid 90’s. If I had somewhere to go soon, I would have cleaned them up, cleaned and greased the adjusters and been on my way and I wouldn’t have worried a bit about the brakes. But once you take it all to bits...

Going to weld these up and hit them with Master Series and make it all like new. This would be a dumb idea in June. I have made that mistake before...

Wow!, I'm usually the first one to take on a challenge and save something that's a little rough, but that one is too far gone, can't you at least find a better used one?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

I'm typically a big proponent of "while you're in there", which obviously leads me down many rabbit holes of part replacement, painting, etc.

However I also try to leave well enough alone if it's working, and since I have a pretty decent service history from the original owner (which is an insane privilege in terms of car ownership, let alone a 40 year old Bus) I can look at that to see when he did certain things. Which I am trying to use as an antidote to the "must disassemble and inspect every single part" curse I seem to have. haha.

Also, you're a braver man than I to repair those backing plates. As I'm getting older (23, wow so old) I'm trying to realize that time spent equals money. And I would definitely go pick a set of backing plates up from BD. But that's just me Laughing

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

I'm typically a big proponent of "while you're in there", which obviously leads me down many rabbit holes of part replacement, painting, etc.

However I also try to leave well enough alone if it's working, and since I have a pretty decent service history from the original owner (which is an insane privilege in terms of car ownership, let alone a 40 year old Bus) I can look at that to see when he did certain things. Which I am trying to use as an antidote to the "must disassemble and inspect every single part" curse I seem to have. haha.

Also, you're a braver man than I to repair those backing plates. As I'm getting older (23, wow so old) I'm trying to realize that time spent equals money. And I would definitely go pick a set of backing plates up from BD. But that's just me Laughing

I'm with you on the time money thing. I have looked around a lot for backing plates and I know there are good ones and crappy ones, but the vendor sites I have looked at have not gone out of their way to say where they are made and why they don't suck. Lately Bus Depot has sent me incomplete orders which seem to always be missing the things I need the most. Dicking around on the interweb is it's own kind of aggravation compared to just welding these up. It is anvil simple welding and I know they will fit.

But if anybody has a link to backing plates they know will fit and not be made of tinfoil, please feel free to share.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

I'm with you on the time money thing. I have looked around a lot for backing plates and I know there are good ones and crappy ones, but the vendor sites I have looked at have not gone out of their way to say where they are made and why they don't suck. Lately Bus Depot has sent me incomplete orders which seem to always be missing the things I need the most. Dicking around on the interweb is it's own kind of aggravation compared to just welding these up. It is anvil simple welding and I know they will fit.

But if anybody has a link to backing plates they know will fit and not be made of tinfoil, please feel free to share.

I think Busdepot has been really crushed by the Pandemic. I ordered some stuff from them a few weeks back (just some seals for the hatch and decklid) and my order took like 3 weeks to ship.

I've heard BusDepot is basically like a husband and wife business, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe supply issues.

I have found sheet metal parts from JustKampers to be of fantastic quality. Maybe try a set from there. They're actually even cheaper than BD.

https://www.justkampers.com/us/211-609-426-l-rear-...-bays.html

However, being a man of absurd cheapness, I would personally hit the classifieds. I see quite a few listings for backing plates.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Just get some used ones. Most of my used parts come from bustedbus.com. They only sell original parts and they can send you pics of the part first (I usually do business with them via text).

I've heard good things about thebusco.com as well but I haven't used them personally yet.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Just get some used ones. Most of my used parts come from bustedbus.com. They only sell original parts and they can send you pics of the part first (I usually do business with them via text).

I've heard good things about thebusco.com as well but I haven't used them personally yet.

I always forget about the busted bus! I need to send them an eMail!
Thanks Shane

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I always forget about the busted bus! I need to send them an eMail!
Thanks Shane
I've also had good luck with using used parts from the NoNameGarage out of Oregon.

The only issues I've had with Bus Depot recently is some of the order arrives together, some is drop shipped out of sequence, but since none of my orders were dire in terms of time, it was not a real issue for me.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: