Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Just get some used ones. Most of my used parts come from bustedbus.com. They only sell original parts and they can send you pics of the part first (I usually do business with them via text).

I've heard good things about thebusco.com as well but I haven't used them personally yet.

I always forget about the busted bus! I need to send them an eMail!
Thanks Shane
I've also had good luck with using used parts from the NoNameGarage out of Oregon.

The only issues I've had with Bus Depot recently is some of the order arrives together, some is drop shipped out of sequence, but since none of my orders were dire in terms of time, it was not a real issue for me.

I'm going to just preemptively bookmark all of these. Thanks for the tip!

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

This old Bus is the most reliable Vehicle I've ever owned.

I own three other vehicles, all under 15 years old, all Japanese, and they're currently all broken.

One with seemingly no oil pressure, one with a failing timing belt tensioner, and one with with a bad starter motor.

But the old Bus just keeps rocking and rolling. No problems, although I need to adjust the rear brakes now that they've bedded in.

I love this thing.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some unseasonably warm weather, so I took the Bus down into the national park about two hours away. Nice day for a hike.

And yes, I fixed my other cars, so the Bus is relieved from daily-driver duty. Laughing

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

While crawling around under the Bus to inspect a minor oil leak (looks like I need pushrod tube seals at some point), I noticed that one of the conduits which carries wires on the passenger side has rusted away on the top. Essentially making a C channel, which I am worried will collect water and damage the wiring harness.

It seems like a real pain to replace, since you'd have to remove the whole wiring harness and re-thread it through whatever new tube you'd install.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier?

I'm considering just getting some split-loom and encapsulating the whole thing in that with a couple of zip-ties. Which I'm sure will be fine for the time being, but not a permanent fix.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I would drill a couple of pin-sized drain holes along the metal first, being careful not to nick any wires. This will let any water out, and give you a feeling of how thick the metal is.

Run some extra wire along the main loom for future installations before split loom? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I would drill a couple of pin-sized drain holes along the metal first, being careful not to nick any wires. This will let any water out, and give you a feeling of how thick the metal is.

Run some extra wire along the main loom for future installations before split loom? Razz

Good idea on the drain holes! I'll do that at the same time I do the drain hole mod to my front beam!

I figured I'd do the split loom so it would be easy to remove when I figure out what I want as a permanent solution. I saw people in another thread talking about using PVC pipe as a replacement.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Pulled the Bus out of hibernation this morning. Started right up after sitting since Nov. No dramas.

But I discovered the master cylinder is seeping from the input shaft seal, brake fluid is coming out of the little hole. Internal piston seals are fine, the brakes function fine.

My question is, is it worth rebuilding the OEM master cylinder, when a brand new one from TRW is only $65, or one from ATE is $100?

I've had good luck with TRW brake parts in the past.

Also, I have been waiting all winter for german OEM supplier CV shafts to come in stock anywhere online. And they just aren't. So I'm going to grab some $40 Cardone ones from RockAuto and see what the quality is like.

I have over 100K miles on a set of Cardone driveshafts on my daily driver, so my expectations are actually pretty good.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Those $40 replacement shafts probably have the cheap boots. They need replacing nearly ever two years whether you drive 2k or 20k. spend the $8 (or whatever it is...IIRC less than $10) per boot for lobro's get your hands dirty and not have to worry about it for at least 5-10 years and save money in the process.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Those $40 replacement shafts probably have the cheap boots. They need replacing nearly ever two years whether you drive 2k or 20k. spend the $8 (or whatever it is...IIRC less than $10) per boot for lobro's get your hands dirty and not have to worry about it for at least 5-10 years and save money in the process.

The axles on my Bus are not OEM, and one of them is really worn out. So it's not worth rebuilding them.

My hope is that the $40 ones will last long enough for international shipping to start up again so I can get some OEM axles.

Or alternatively, if I truly am unable to get good axles new. I can buy some rebuildable cores from the classifieds and rebuild them.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Got hung up while replacing the master cylinder. Forgot to order the little rubber grommets which connect the lower reservoir to the master.

Only one of the original ones was still usable, so now I wait.

In the mean time, I decided to fluid film my beam. I read a great post by someone on here (forgot who it was. Aeromech maybe?) talking about it.

So I drilled the beam, and vacuumed out about 2lbs of rust flakes from each horn. Occasionally using a bent piece of wire on a drill to break up the flakes for easier vacuuming.

Then blew fluid film up into the horns until I could see vapor coming out of the top with my fluid film gun.

Finally, cut down some trim clips for a clean look that should still allow water to drip out past.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Finally got the master cylinder in and bled. Got hung up on an air pocket somewhere in the rear brakes (Proportioning valve?) and had to borrow a friend's pressure bleeder.

Started on the axles, but some of the triple square bolts which hold them on are super tight. Are the heads likely to sheer if I use an impact to remove them?

Also, I have always used Rotella T5 15w40 oil in the Bus. But after reading through some oil threads, I've decided to switch to 20w50 high zinc since apparently it provides better oil pressure and reduced lifter wear.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Started on the axles, but some of the triple square bolts which hold them on are super tight. Are the heads likely to sheer if I use an impact to remove them?

Possibly, clean them out thoroughly with a dental pick and push hard while rattling to keep the tool from working up out of the hole. A hand held impact driver you hit with a hammer is the safest choice.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:

If they are truly stripped and won't move with an impact gun i go to the air hammer and chisel. put a good diviot in it and walk it around to loosen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I think my issue is that my triple square drivers aren't long enough, so I can't get a good purchase on the bolts. I ordered a longer set and will try those.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Just a little check-in.

The weather is warm, so I have been daily-driving the Bus for the last month or so.

On a whim, I added a can of SeaFoam to the gas, and holy smokes did that make an improvement on the low-end power. The bus feels much peppier especially in 2nd and 3rd around town. I assume the fuel injectors had some gunk in them after 40+ years. I will be using seafoam again in the future.

Question for you guys,

The engine on my Bus has always been a bit clattery. And It's never really concerned me that much, as the engine runs fantastic. (cool and smooth, with plenty of power)

I'm talking top end valvetrain noise, not a rod knock or anything like that.

But I took the Bus to my local aircooled shop to get the intake smoke tested (had one small leak that was causing a rough idle when cold) and he seemed to think the engine was concerningly noisy.

I told him I always adjust my valves at 0.16mm (0.006in) as opposed to the 0.12mm (0.003in) of the old spec, because I've heard that prolongs valve life. Even if the engine is a little noisier.

Thoughts?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

.006” with ya. i personally like the tapping of the rockers to stems. as soon as the sound changes, i know something is afoul. the only thing i fear is fire. with fresh hoses and good clamps and a fire extinguisher on board, theres not much more I can do about that.

if i drop a valve or throw a rod, thats easily overcome with a motor swap.

click on!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
.006” with ya. i personally like the tapping of the rockers to stems. as soon as the sound changes, i know something is afoul. the only thing i fear is fire. with fresh hoses and good clamps and a fire extinguisher on board, theres not much more I can do about that.

if i drop a valve or throw a rod, thats easily overcome with a motor swap.

click on!

Yep! I check my fuel lines for any seepage around the clamps monthly. And also keep a fire extinguisher on board.

I like the 006. too. You can hear the engine get quieter once it warms up and expands, and I like that. Knowing that the valves aren't getting super tight as the engine gets hot and getting ready to burn, or get so hot a valve seat falls out.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Thought I'd update this thread since I haven't in awhile.

The Bus is still running great, no issues to report other than a burned out dash light bulb, and the fact that I still need to get off my ass and replace the CV axles, so I don't have to live with the shame of driving with a joint boot held together with a tie-rap.

My daily driver car broke down again (this seems to be a recurring theme), inconveniently right before I had to go pick up 10 flats of plants for the garden.

Having a Bus comes in handy sometimes. Laughing

I also have been going on day trips, to try and work my way up to taking my first real trip in the bus. I did a 300ish mile round trip a couple weeks back without any real fuss. Used about a cup of oil, and decided I need a louder radio.

I helped a friend replace his canvas a couple months ago and it was absolute murder, so I'm going to see if I can do it at work, where we have a large overhead crane I can use to lift the roof off. If not, I think I'm just going to pay the local aircooled shop to do it.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing my CV axles. Wow, that is NOT a fun job.

Removing the old one was no big deal, I like how they bolt on, as opposed to the spline style I am used to on the Japanese cars I work on.

But getting the new shaft back in there was absolute murder. The joints kept popping apart as I tried to install it, which required fully disassembling the shaft to reinstall the balls into the joint. Not fun when you just spent the last 20 minutes packing the joint and boot with grease. At least my tools won't rust now. Laughing

In the end, I used a piece of mechanics wire to hold it all in place, and then was able to pull the mechanics wire out once I had the bolts started on the flanges. I wish I had figured that out 5+ install attempts sooner.

All in all, a 6 hour job to change one axle. I was going to do the other side, even though the boots are fine and it's very smooth. But I decided to leave it alone, as I was about ready to be committed to the nuthouse.

I'm about to start on repairing some rust on one of the jack points, it's not bad, just a hole the size of a dime or so. But I noticed this rust around the rear torsion tube while I was poking around.

The tube itself seems solid, but there's like a ring of steel spot-welded to the outside of it which is pretty crispy. I think I put a little bit of POR-15 on this years ago, which is the black paint on top of it.

How bad is this? It seems solid, just looks ugly. I'm sure I could remove the handbrake tube, cut that ring off, and weld something else on there, but it doesn't sound like an enjoyable job.

Or should I just put some more POR-15 on it and fuhgettabowdit?

The other side is much less rusty.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Picked at it a bit. It appears that over the years that ring filled with water/dirt. Which dried into mud, and began to rust out that ring.

Luckily the torsion tube is solid as a rock.

I cleaned out the inside of the ring, and will be filling it with fluid film to prevent any further rust. I'll also preemptively make an opening the ring on the other side to get the dirt out of there.

I'm still not sure how structural this ring is. Should I be looking to replace the section that rusted through?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: