Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Eighty horses wrote:
Good find and great story. Those are rare indeed here in the Midwest, I am in Indiana. And you did well on the price, most of what it will need is elbow grease.

One word of advice though: before shelling out to get injectors cleaned up and then putting them back in, check on the condition of the fuel tank re: rust etc. If you have to pull the tank, clean and re-seal (likely after all that sitting) you will want to clean your injectors after all that is done. Not the other way around. I used Rich Jensen of Cruzin Performance in Michigan to clean mine, fast and good communication.

Tank seems in good condition based on the old fuel filter and what I drained out of it. No rust or flakes that I could see.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Hello all, Been gone for a little while. But I'm back for a minute.

I brought the bus home today, It drove the nearly 2 miles home under it's own power without a hitch (I was a nervous wreck with one hand on the fire extinguisher the whole time) and it really drives amazingly well for how little I've done to it.

Soon after getting home, I started cleaning. After a quick power-washing it looked 10 times better.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still haven't done anything to the interior, But I did take some HD photos.

The only things I'm slightly concerned about are:

The right rear wheel seems to be sitting at a slight inward slant compared to the rest of the wheels. I instantly assume imminent catastrophe, However I may be mistaken.

I cant seem to find reverse. I have tried all 5 selectable positions and the bus moves forward in each one. This is quite puzzling as I was positive it was a 4 speed with reverse.

Basically every single window seal leaks.

I will be posting further videos later on.

Stay tuned.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Hey man we wanna see pics. Not to be that guy, but can you just post them here in the Samba Gallery and link from there? I can't load any of the images you may have shared in your last post.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

That Westy interior is beautiful!

I bet the old guy knows the trick to reverse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Hey man we wanna see pics. Not to be that guy, but can you just post them here in the Samba Gallery and link from there? I can't load any of the images you may have shared in your last post.

All my pictures are too big to be uploaded, It says. I've been linking them from Facebook.

I'll work on resizing them down to fit in the gallery.

In other news, I got it into reverse. I didn't know the shifter had to be pressed down to get it into reverse. I'm learning!

I've taken a few short runs currently while I wait for my alternator to arrive and it's pretty fun to drive, quite the exertion coming from my Subaru Outback with power steering and power brakes though!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:

I've taken a few short runs currently while I wait for my alternator to arrive and it's pretty fun to drive, quite the exertion coming from my Subaru Outback with power steering and power brakes though!

Did you go to Euclid for the alt? or check with Chuck? Bet Chuck has a dozen on his shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

Did you go to Euclid for the alt? or check with Chuck? Bet Chuck has a dozen on his shelf.

I haven't gotten in contact with any of those people yet, I'm about to leave for Maine for a week currently. But I will call them when I get back.

Actually, I ended up getting an alternator from a friend of mine who's been an aircooled mechanic for 35 years. I'm just waiting until I get back to get it from him.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Okay, I figured out how to work the gallery.. So here you go.

Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Link
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Driving, filming with your phone and drinking a beer is not that hard Rolling Eyes

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Driving, filming with your phone and drinking a beer is not that hard Rolling Eyes

Link

My camera is a massive, bulky DSLR.. It requires two handed operation.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Been busy, Sorry for no updates.

I don't plan on doing a full repaint, I would like to keep as much OG paint on the bus as possible, so I was planning on blending the repairs in with cans/spray gun. The color is "Chrome Yellow" and www.paintscratch.com claims to be able to mix it but they do not guarantee a good match.

Does anybody have a specific place they prefer to buy paint from, or that makes good matched paint?

Stay Tuned.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

top of the page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Look in the Sticky's
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Spray paint, T2, Aerosol, Rattle Can, Close to factory color
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Good luck
Tcash
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

If you are going to keep it long term I recommend killing/conquering the rust.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Busbodger wrote:
If you are going to keep it long term I recommend killing/conquering the rust.

All rust is getting neutralized and then the entire undercarrige is getting painted with POR-15. I am incredibly thorough in my quest against rust.

Tcash, thank you. I guess I'm blind.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Started on the rust today, Did precious little as it was freezing cold. But managed to get one rocker mostly done.

"A grinder and paint, Make me the welder I 'aint"

Hopefully we get some Indian summer or something so I can make some more serious progress, Otherwise I will need to look into heating the garage.

I also started straightening the decklid, The condition is less than ideal but for the time being I'm going to try and work with it.

I purchased a rear apron, and will be installing it sometime soon.

You can see how bent it used to be based on the old apron underneath it.

On a side note, I purchased some DupliColor "School bus yellow" that was recommended in another thread as being a decent match to "Chrome yellow" and it seems to be alright, Maybe a shade lighter.

I think I might look into repainting the whole bus when I'm done.

Lastly, I purchased a new alternator (the one I acquired from my friend was weak) as well as fuel lines, plugs and wires, and various other tune up bits for the engine. While I'm in the process of replacing the apron, I'm going to pull the engine and give it an external refresh and thorough cleaning just to make sure that there's no surprises waiting for me when I get it back on the road. Service records show the entire engine was overhauled at the local Aircooled mechanic 8 years ago with new rings and bearings. Since he stopped driving it close to 6 years ago. I figure the internals of the engine are good for a good long while.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Sweet bus. Looks like you are on the same conquest I had of removing rust. Yours seems much more reasonable though lol. Good luck with your repairs, I'll be watching
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

Removed the damaged rear apron and set to work rebuilding the crumpled rear end and minor rust, Luckily frame is solid as a rock.

Replaced alternator and voltage regulator today and maintaining steady charging voltage.

Waiting on fuel line to come in.

Tinwork on the rear of the engine was awfully smashed, going to try and salvage as much as I can, and then buy what I need.

You can see the replacement red apron sitting off to the side in this photo.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

I can send you the 3 pieces of tin for the rear if you need them. Just pay shipping from Portland OR.
PM me if you want them

Just a regular guy
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Refurbishing my '77 Westy Campmobile Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I can send you the 3 pieces of tin for the rear if you need them. Just pay shipping from Portland OR.
PM me if you want them

I will definitely let you know, let me take a look at see what I can clean up.

By the way, I did make another "episode" of the restoration on my Youtube if anyone is interested.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: