Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wiper motor repair
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Windshield wiper motor repair Reply with quote

I have read all I can find about the ww motor and have taken it apart and cleaned it up. Putting it back together, the part that makes it go back and forth has 2 gears that mesh and each have 5 gears on them. They can mesh 2 ways and I'm sure one way would make the blades go too far or not far enough down. How do I mesh these gears.

The brush holder is mounted with 3 rubber mounts. They have broken. Where can I get them or is there a fix for this? I have idea how to fix but would like to know how others have fixed this

Last, before I took the motor apart, it would run but dragged probably because of the old hard grease. However the motor wouldn't cut off with the lever in the off position. I am wondering if this a fault of the switch or the points in the motor its self?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper motor repair Reply with quote

The rubber mounts for the brush plate are not available. I have seen many attempts to repair or replace the rubber mounts but all have failed badly. You will need a complete donor brush plate. The Thing Shop has new brush plates but will not sell them. They are used on their rebuilt wiper motors. Most of the time the rubber mounts fail because the motor has over heated. You need to find out what caused the motor to over heat, so it does not happen again. If your motor does not park, you may have a problem with the connector block (the contact points may be dirty or need to be replaced. If the motor seemed to drag, that may be the cause of your over heating. Make sure your armature has the proper clearance from the fixed magnet. Never use white lithium grease in the wiper motor, it has too much hardener and will cause more problems then the old grease. If you can't find the parts you need, you can PM me and I can help with most parts. I hope you were able to save all the shim washers and the one wavy washer ( total of 4 in the bottom compartment) missing shim washers slow the little motor down even more. I will try to get a picture of the wiper shaft gearing for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper motor repair Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The rubber mounts for the brush plate are not available. I have seen many attempts to repair or replace the rubber mounts but all have failed badly. You will need a complete donor brush plate. The Thing Shop has new brush plates but will not sell them. They are used on their rebuilt wiper motors. Most of the time the rubber mounts fail because the motor has over heated. You need to find out what caused the motor to over heat, so it does not happen again. If your motor does not park, you may have a problem with the connector block (the contact points may be dirty or need to be replaced. If the motor seemed to drag, that may be the cause of your over heating. Make sure your armature has the proper clearance from the fixed magnet. Never use white lithium grease in the wiper motor, it has too much hardener and will cause more problems then the old grease. If you can't find the parts you need, you can PM me and I can help with most parts. I hope you were able to save all the shim washers and the one wavy washer ( total of 4 in the bottom compartment) missing shim washers slow the little motor down even more. I will try to get a picture of the wiper shaft gearing for you.

I got the wiper motor together and it works good. The shaft gearing I found it will only work 1 way. The rubber mounts in the brush plate, they were broke in the small part but still sticking through both pieces. I sharpened a small stiff wire, stuck it through the rubber and bent the ends down. There is still give in it to absorb shock as I imagine it was intended for what ever reason. It works good at least for now. I would think a 40 year old donor brush plate wouldn't have much time left before it would be like mine. Why would the plate be shock mounted? All brushes I have saw were rigid mounted.
I did save the little washer/shims but couldn't find a place for but 3 but as said it runs smooth and fast
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper motor repair Reply with quote

Glad to see you got it going. The rubber mounts could have something to do with the dynamic braking that is used to stop the motor or its just part of the design of the motor. The rubber mounts were also used on their later models as well. I just know that if they are not in good condition the motor will not run very well. Not all donor parts are 40 years old. They made these motors well into 90's. I have some that are like brand new. The rubber mounts do pretty good until they get hot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: