Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Norris Cams
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Hello Gang,

I've been online searching for information regarding Norris Cams, and there's not much out there. Anyone who's used/uses Norris Cams, what are your experiences with them, and do you prefer them over others? I'm used to the Engle 110, but a shop I went to only carried Norris Cams, and recommended Norris over Engle. So I purchased a 330S.

Would like anyone, and everyone's input.

-Thanks
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

They recommend Norris because that's what they carry.

I'm sure Norris has good grinds. What makes one brand better than another is mainly accuracy. The numbers on the card should match the actual numbers when degreed. What also makes a brand better is the designer's knowledge of the ACVW's layout, design flaws, and weak points when making a grind. Like JPM, for example. A high amount of attention goes into the opening and closing rates of their lineup. They're constantly improving their cams to safely achieve higher and higher RPM without float. Engle, on the other hand has a lot of old grinds that were carried over from winning Chrysler grinds. Their valvetrains were sturdier than ours. Not as much flex.

Compare the numbers of the Norris cam to whatever you're familiar with and run it. In a mild street engine, plus or minus a degree here or there will not make a difference on the butt dyno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Norris description on their website states an accurate description of their products based on my use of them. I built and raced engines using Sig Erson, Norris and Engle during those years they were more popular. The 330s is a long time standard from Norris and works well as they state. I have used it many times in daily drivers with no issues. I had used the 407s many times also back in the single port 1600 classes in the 70's early 80's but not on daily drivers for obvious reasons. I still use Engle and various other makers depending on the design. If you are using Norris grinds like the 330s it will last and work equivalent to Engle. My Norris cams like Sig were sponsored to me when I raced Baja but I have no special attachment to them as I go with what matches the design the closest. I would not hesitate using them if I just wanted to use a standard old school grind not getting into a specific needs racing motor or customer request. I do make it a point to use the same manufacturer lifters as the cam for a daily driver just in case a batch of bad lifters or cam blanks comes out . Don’t get me wrong because I do mix different lifters with different Cam Manufactures just like many do. But it is specific to what I see works after many tear downs. If you don't build a lot of motors I would stick with same manufacturers lifters as the cam, it gives you a better leg to stand on if by some odd circumstance you lose a cam.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vivo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses. oldschoo5er: I chose the 330s because my 66 Bus is my daily driver. I have a 1914cc with Dual Kadrons rebuilt with larger jets. The mechanic built my motor installed an Engle 100, when I used to have a 110. He said he installed a 100 so the engine compartment wouldn't have oil all over in the inside after driving on the freeway. I do not like the 100, because it took way the top end speed I had with the 110, and preferred. I hope I can get the same results with the Norris 330s, or close enough.

oldschool5er wrote:
Norris description on their website states an accurate description of their products based on my use of them. I built and raced engines using Sig Erson, Norris and Engle during those years they were more popular. The 330s is a long time standard from Norris and works well as they state. I have used it many times in daily drivers with no issues. I had used the 407s many times also back in the single port 1600 classes in the 70's early 80's but not on daily drivers for obvious reasons. I still use Engle and various other makers depending on the design. If you are using Norris grinds like the 330s it will last and work equivalent to Engle. My Norris cams like Sig were sponsored to me when I raced Baja but I have no special attachment to them as I go with what matches the design the closest. I would not hesitate using them if I just wanted to use a standard old school grind not getting into a specific needs racing motor or customer request. I do make it a point to use the same manufacturer lifters as the cam for a daily driver just in case a batch of bad lifters or cam blanks comes out . Don’t get me wrong because I do mix different lifters with different Cam Manufactures just like many do. But it is specific to what I see works after many tear downs. If you don't build a lot of motors I would stick with same manufacturers lifters as the cam, it gives you a better leg to stand on if by some odd circumstance you lose a cam.
Vivo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

http://norriscams.com/Norris_Cams_Description.html

Also this page has an accurate description of what someone should expect, but all of it depends on engine specification to what you are aiming for.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

only norris exp I have are my stainless roller rockers. they were bit at one time,I think they didnt update thier machines&thinking and got left by the wayside like somany others. be in the front or get left behind.
Andyz1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Hello Vivo,
I have a Norris 330S in my 1776, with 36DRLA's and standard (but ported) heads it makes 100 bhp and 118 flb torque at the flywheel. It pulls well from 2,500 to 5,500rpm. With your extra cc's it should be fine.
I'm going to be adding 1.4 rockers plus 40 x 35.5 CB044 heads soon, so hoping it will pull and rev a bit stronger. Good luck with the build, and hope it works well, i don't think you'll be disappointed.
If in doubt call Jeff at Kaddie Shack, he'll give you good advice.

Andy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

it is good to see there still at it.I hope there still at it and not just the name and some other cam.I do like thier low lift cams so you can use ratio like it should be.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Yes, looking at the specs. Similar to the Type 1 1800cc that I have in my bus. It will be mild with 1.1 Ratio Rockers a good candidate for the 1.25 or 1.3 ratio rockers. Might be a good milage MPG's cam with stock ratio.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

I have a 336s in my 1835 beehive test engine. Makes more noise than I like and I would not recommend it. The clearance ramps are too fast on the opening side of the lobe, the closing side is fine. Makes good power to 7000k in my engine. I would recommend the web 86a for the power band you want and it is dead silent. I have not had a 330s against my dial indicator so can't say how good it is but I would not trust it. Both need 1.4 rockers to make power.

Dan
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

I’m going to assume Norris cams is no longer in business?
I just tore down an engine that has one in it
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Yes, Norris cams are no longer.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Thanks
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

Hey BFB if you got a grind number for that cam I may be interested in it if it's for sale?

One great thing about their numbering is the lift at the cam is right in the name.

329S = .329 lift at the cam.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
BFB wrote:

Hey BFB if you got a grind number for that cam I may be interested in it if it's for sale?

One great thing about their numbering is the lift at the cam is right in the name.

329S = .329 lift at the cam.

Yeh i do, its the 352S and if your interested pm me , im sure the owner would be happy to sell it.
Also, thats really cool about the name & lift. Aaand my dumb ass didnt even notice that.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Always used the 329s in ALL models of street engines during the early 1970s. Even when VW cams were available the 329s with norris lifters was what I used. I NEVER had a problem with Norris, NEVER!!!
13axle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Norris Cams Reply with quote

Good people at norris. I had a wicked solid roller in a chevelle. I called and gave me all the info I needed.

I thought the tappet spec was too loose.

13 tdi passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: