Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Was wondering if any Sportsmobile owners have had any experience with the Bus Depot replacement canvas? They sell canvas for a Riviera penthouse top that seems like it's the same size and style. The folks at Bus Depot could not tell me whether or not it may fit or if anyone else has even tried. After calling and speaking to them a couple of times, I am frustrated that there just seems to be no information about this anywhere. Have no other Sporty owners tried this canvas? C'mon guys, are there just no other options besides having a custom one made?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

70 westfalia bus
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

good luck man. I got no answers here either. I just think no sportsmobile owner has tried the bus depot canvas. It says penthouse style, and that is what you own, so you should go for it. If it is not right, return it. If it does not fit your penthouse, I don't see why they would not take it back (if it does not have a bunch of holes)
what shape is your current top? good enough for a compare or measurements?
edit- Bus Depot may get it from the same source as
http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/pop-top-canvas/
you should give CHC a call and see what they know about fitment. the CHC canvas was the same as sportsmobile penthouses back in the 70s. or it sure looks like it from any CHC pics I have seen
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
good luck man. I got no answers here either. I just think no sportsmobile owner has tried the bus depot canvas. It says penthouse style, and that is what you own, so you should go for it. If it is not right, return it. If it does not fit your penthouse, I don't see why they would not take it back (if it does not have a bunch of holes)
what shape is your current top? good enough for a compare or measurements?
edit- Bus Depot may get it from the same source as
http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/pop-top-canvas/
you should give CHC a call and see what they know about fitment. the CHC canvas was the same as sports mobile penthouses back in the 70s. or it sure looks like it from any CHC pics I have seen
Thanks alman72. That's the best lead I've had so far. I got a call in to the CHC folks and they seem to be real helpful. They're website even says they can help with any penthouse style top so I think they will be able to fit the sportsmobile. I will post back with the results for sure , as I know there are a lot of sporty people out there.

70 westfalia bus
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

CHC and Sportsmobile did indeed use the exact same top back in the day. At one time I was told that their canvas would therefore work for us, however my canvas is in nice shape so I never dove into it any further...
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

So a little update. I actually spoke with the CHC rep and we had a long conversation about the need for a replacement top for Sportsmobile. I'm going to be sending my old one to them so they can be sure to have the dimensions exact and they will then be able to offer a replacement canvas for other sporty owners. If all goes well, it will be a great price for the correct replacement canvas . Fingers crossed!

70 westfalia bus
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

That's a big update! Very cool!
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Hey, any update? I am looking to have one of my Amish customers do a top for me this Fall/ winter. He is a boat canvas guy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay in posting. I haven't been able to move forward on my project due to life getting in the way, I'm sure ya'll know that old story! I did however get my custom made top from Country holmes and I am extremely happy with what they did.I worked with them by sending my old canvas and they reproduced one for me using the boat vinyl material which seems to be a huge upgrade to the original. I haven't put the top together so I can't speak about fitament quite yet but I will post on that as soon as I do. I would imagine if you give them a call they can still make the same one based on the dimensions I sent them. Salim Miro is the guy I talked to and he was great to deal with.

70 westfalia bus
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

What model camper tent did you get from them? Was it a sports Mobile? I see you have a Westy listed in your signature. I will be anxious to hear how well it fit.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:
What model camper tent did you get from them? Was it a sports Mobile? I see you have a Westy listed in your signature. I will be anxious to hear how well it fit.

I believe my top is off of a 1972 or 73 Sportmobile. Hope to get it put together this fall/winter and I'll update how it all worked out.

70 westfalia bus
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:

Important to note that killerbees top would not fit your top, as sportsmobile had a change around 72 where the lift mech moved to the inside of the canvas. so the measurements CHC has would not work for your top. Also, I believe bus depot may have a penthouse canvas?
it is for riv and ASI, but says penthouse as well (SMB)
measure your circumference and see how close it is to 276
http://www.busdepot.com/180002
Heliconman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

I always wondered if Sportsmobile is worth contacting? I believe they are still in business in Indiana?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

I just fired off a letter on the site. they get back in 24 hrs, so I will let you know. Looking at the SMB penthouses of the present, they look like they may fit, but it is a different look
edit-Well, they wont sell parts for the penthouse top, and they said it wont fit anyway, and they have no VW SMB parts at all. At least they got back to me. I had asked for some measurements out of curiosity, but no go.
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Heyo,
I am in the process of having a Sportsmobile top made. Anyone else need one. Mine is a 1970 with one “x” holding up the top. Canvas is on the inside.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Heliconman wrote:
I always wondered if Sportsmobile is worth contacting? I believe they are still in business in Indiana?

That's what I was wondering. I was just at their plant in Austin, TX a couple of weeks ago. They still have plants in Indiana (the original one) and in California.

They were busy outfitting some cool vehicles. I expect that they could redo your top if you took your bus by the place and let them have it for a few days, but it ain't gonna be cheap. At least, if all you need is replacement canvas and bug screen.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:
Heyo,
I am in the process of having a Sportsmobile top made. Anyone else need one. Mine is a 1970 with one “x” holding up the top. Canvas is on the inside.

Amish? cost?
BackwardsInHeels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

I am also in the process of having a new canvas made. I pulled off the original and am sending it in to be used as a template for the new one. I've got the single X lift structure with the canvas on the outside of the mechanism. I think it will be great to see how different companies tackle this hard to find tent. My SMB is a 1973 bay window and i'll be sure to post photos when i get the new canvas fitted.
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Yes, that will be interesting. Make sure your company is using "flame resistant" canvas. My guy demonstrated the regular stuff - pretty scary how it caught fire and melted.

I am waiting on a price on mine. It would be nice to compare.

Send some photos of your Sporty!

DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Yes, that will be interesting. Make sure your company is using "flame resistant" canvas. My guy demonstrated the regular stuff - pretty scary how it caught fire and melted.

I am waiting on a price on mine. It would be nice to compare.

Send some photos of your Sporty!

orange71bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sportsmobile replacement canvas (need help) Reply with quote

Any updates? I have a 71 with a sportsmobile top. Mine has the big springs and struts inside the canvas. Any pictures of the custom replacement project from CHC killerbee?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: