Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/a/JWs8G

Lights are from a group of guys I met who worked at Dapper Lighting in Novato, CA.

They fit and work great.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: just a little something i've been working on Reply with quote

Very nice!
LED's?....or halogen?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: just a little something i've been working on Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Very nice!
LED's?....or halogen?

Ray

Unfortunately Halogen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: just a little something i've been working on Reply with quote

matth wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Very nice!
LED's?....or halogen?

Ray

Unfortunately Halogen.

Not really unfortunate! I would rather have halogens. Much longer throw with more precise beams......at an affordable level. To go LED with halogen performance. ...equals $$$$ and custom reflector/emitter designs.

Those are nice. I have H4 100/65's in the outers and 100 watt HB2's in the high beam section. Wouldn't trade them for anything. .....of course this build I will be adding at least a 75 amp alternator (between th3 lights, stereo and gas heater.....its needed) Very Happy Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: just a little something i've been working on Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
matth wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Very nice!
LED's?....or halogen?

Ray

Unfortunately Halogen.

Not really unfortunate! I would rather have halogens. Much longer throw with more precise beams......at an affordable level. To go LED with halogen performance. ...equals $$$$ and custom reflector/emitter designs.

Those are nice. I have H4 100/65's in the outers and 100 watt HB2's in the high beam section. Wouldn't trade them for anything. .....of course this build I will be adding at least a 75 amp alternator (between th3 lights, stereo and gas heater.....its needed) Very Happy Ray

Let me see a pic!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: just a little something i've been working on Reply with quote

Ican post pics of what I have in the am....but no power in the car to light them right now.....mid restoration.

These are the old school 80s/90s Hella units with lead crystal lenses. My high beams....are....harely legal....par 46 clear lens headlights. Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

I swapped 4*H4 (Hella in this case but not really important) for mine and those have very good high beams now. Tested last weekend, about 200 miles in pitch black, no problems and stock alternator is enough to power them (4*65W in high beams)

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything but the Central Europe version of that light, with reference number of 12.5, as those have low beam that puts most of the light about 20 feet from the nose, not much use in dark roads, something like 150 feet or more is preferred.

One of the previous cars has similar lights (Dark roads -version as I call it) but with reference of 17.5 and those had actually usable low beams too, almost 200 feet visibility even with correctly adjusted lights. Nice.

I also put heavy gauge wires (and fuses) with relays directly from battery as the original wires are pathetic and produce a lot of voltage loss.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3767.jpg

Not too pretty but all that fit under the cover, nice.
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3749.jpg

Also saves the original switches and relays as there's only relay driving current through them.

The difference?
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/412/IMG_3748.jpg

This has one new H4 (low beam) and one original H1 (low beam), barely visible as pale yellow area on the left.

Also shows how the light is distributed: A lot to the ground and not much on the wall, i.e. further on the road. Light with reference number of 17.5 puts almost 80% of the light to the wall and the rest to the ground, from this distance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

Here are mine with the bezels off. Sorry they are so filthy. I am busy stripping the under carriage so everything is filthy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course this is the passenger side so the right hand is high beam and the left is dual high/low.

A close up of the high beam. This is Hella part # (on the box outer) 1K3 004 929-011. The same part number is also on the decal on the back of the lamp but oddly....that one is 1K3 929-01.
On the glass is at the 7:00 position 301 131 081 which I suspect from things I have read...may be a TUV rating(?)

This is a closeup of the high low beam. You can see that it has the "bow tie" shaped cut outs that keep the beam at trunk level cut-off so that it does not blind people.

This is a close up of the number at 7:00 on the lens 313 115 704.
Sorry I forgot to pull the number from the back of the lamp which is probably the actual part #.

I have two spares of the Par 46 driving light. Two of my lights...one high/low and one high..have minor rock chips in them. I patch the small holes with clear polyester and superglue so they do not leak. No effect on the beam.

These are very strong...but in the last places I drove this car...lots of high speed driving and lots of construction. I usually had to replace two headlights on average per year. I could buy both of these lamps at my local dedicated foreign parts house in OKC....through the late 90's for about $45 each.

When I finally realized I could just patch small chips....I acquired a couple of spares to install for the safety inspection and then take out and put back on my spares shelf... Wink ....because they will fail you for chipped and cracked headlights..even though it has no effect on an H4 or H2 because they are not sealed beams.

I have the Hella 100/80s in the high low. at one time I thought I could get 100/65's . Here iss the part # HELLA HLA-H83140171

The lamp in the high beams is this one: HELLA H83130011 H2

Still looking for a couple of spares. These are superb! Ray

EDIT: I just stumbled on this Hella catalog. I do not know if its current.

But....I believe that these are listed as 135mm headlights for 5.75" openings.
So I think the part number for my dual beams is 1A3 002 850-001 on page 40.

Getting used to the code prefixes....002 is H4...and 004 is H1.

I have found nothing like the un-ribbed high beams I have.

At one time I was told that they specifically put the "par 46" lamp size on the outer box because that designates and industry standard lamp size and means "parabolic aluminized reflector" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_aluminized_reflector_light ....and that they were most probably industry driving lights, aircraft lights or industry earth mover lights.

Without ribbing/prisms....they may not be street legal. But the tight narrow beams allows them to be aimed slightly low for long reach so I never have blinded people. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

Clue me in-----I notice in the pictures both lights are on at the same time. On my car they don't do that. Either the dim or the bright is on not both at the same time. I understand that, and I'm guessing your's are wired differently and the bright side is a high/low light. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Clue me in-----I notice in the pictures both lights are on at the same time. On my car they don't do that. Either the dim or the bright is on not both at the same time. I understand that, and I'm guessing your's are wired differently and the bright side is a high/low light. Bob

When you are in low beams.....only the outer two lights should be on. When you turn on your lights....all four lights should come on.

I have never seen a 411 or 412 that did not work this way. You need to pop the covers off the back of your lights inside the trunk and make sure of a few things.

1. Make sure you have dual filament bulbs ....meaning high/low lamps in the outer positions. It is highly possible that a previous owner replaced the lamps with single beam lamps.

2. Make sure the correct plug is on the correct lamp and that the connection wiring between the two lamps is correct.

I STAND CORRECTED!

Its amazing what you forget and have to re-learn. Something was nagging at me. Your car is not a common one. Its early....for the US market. This is an excerppt from the Haynes manual for 411/412 (the green one with the 4121.8L supplement section).

There are three types of type 4 headlights
1. The European single large lens from early 411
2. The quad headlight with single position lows and highs...like yours has
3. The common 1972 and on with high/low outers and high inners.

This is what you have. It should not be hard ta all to do minor...reversible wiring changes to use later lamps.

Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

I was just mixed-up a little. My lights work just as you said. I thought that all lights were on either way in the pictures. BTW I'm the only one that's owned this car so no unknown changes made.

My lights are the usual basic lights-----nothing special, but adequate for a car not driven very much. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I was just mixed-up a little. My lights work just as you said. I thought that all lights were on either way in the pictures. BTW I'm the only one that's owned this car so no unknown changes made.

My lights are the usual basic lights-----nothing special, but adequate for a car not driven very much. Bob

So....do all of your lights come on....all four?...when you hit the brights...or only the inner ones?

Because if you note...I added an edit to my post. There are models that were probably 1970 into late 1971...that had a set up where on dim only the outers and on bright...only the inner ones came on.
Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just a little something i've been working on - Headlights Reply with quote

All four when you hit the brights. Only two on dim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: