Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
This is a testament to the excitement in my life: I read the Type 3 Parts Book on Saturday nights!
Very Happy .....yes.....its more like you see something your brain can't let go of and have to stop qnd look it up.
Ray

That does happen but in this case I was literally reading through each and every page - partially to see which pages this book is missing and partially to make a list of parts that I want for my restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Not sure if you noticed this but the top adjusting screw has a shim as well - it's a washer but there are different thicknesses.

311 415 265, shim 2.0 mm for steering roller shaft
311 415 266, shim 2.05mm for steering roller shaft
311 415 267, shim 2.10mm for steering roller shaft
311 415 268, shim 2.15mm for steering roller shaft
311 415 269, shim 2.20mm for steering roller shaft
311 415 270, shim 2.25mm for steering roller shaft

Did you measure the thickness of the washer on the top of the adjusting screw when you took them apart?

This is a testament to the excitement in my life: I read the Type 3 Parts Book on Saturday nights!

I was aware of this washer. Used to fine tune with the roller arm adjustment. I should see which one I have because I was nearing the end of my adjustment range, but my parts did not look worn. I still have to do all the measuring of the worm and roller gears per the bentley. It appears like there is a lot of assemble/disasemble when tuning these things which is most likely why they say don't fill the box up with lubricant till the end.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Not sure if you noticed this but the top adjusting screw has a shim as well - it's a washer but there are different thicknesses.

Did you measure the thickness of the washer on the top of the adjusting screw when you took them apart?

Very Happy .....yes.....its more like you see something your brain can't let go of and have to stop qnd look it up.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

So.....the VW box uses the shim and TRW bkx does not.

Correct that there was no shim in the TRW box. And the bore for the bearing race was oversized such that the bearing race just fell out.

raygreenwood wrote:
So.....does the bearjng outer race seat against a counterbored ledge inside of the housing? I can't tell from the pictures..

If no.......then the only thing keeping the race in place is a combination of the shim and seal.

If yes....does the shim sit on the ledge under the race? It does not appear that it does.

If there is a ledge for the bearing race to sit on.....but the shim is not on that ledge but comes in from the outside.....then the only thing the shim does is provide a seat for the seal.

Also if there is no ledge for the bearing race and the stack up just bearkng race, shim and then seal.....and its only the shim and seal keeping the race from moving outwarr under pressure from the adjustment on the other end......that is part of the reason why the TRW box gets sloppy.

This should clear it up. Here is a close up of the interior of the housing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And labeled to help understand that: Yes, there is a ledge that the shim sits against. So the shim does two things---(1) fine adjustment for the positioning of the worm shaft and (2) backing/bottom of the cavity for the (small) worm shaft seal.

This picture shows the stack-up of parts as you would start to insert/assemble them. My take on it is, that the shim adjusts for:
1. Manufacturing tolerance on where the pocket for the upper bearing race was milled.
2. Manufacturing tolerance of the upper ball bearing race and bearings.
3. Manufacturing tolerance of the bearing race that is part of the worm shaft.
And then on rebuild:
4. WEAR on the Upper bearing race, Upper ball bearings (in the cage), upper ball bearing race that is part of the worm shaft.

raygreenwood wrote:
.....I went back to the polymer cage bearing section. I still stand by my point that polymer cage bearings are superior (as long as the cage is not old school nylon).........but back when we were talking about the cages....my brain totally skipped over the part about the actual damage to the balls in the bearing.

You note that this box has 0 miles on it or pretty close. That it just spent fives years or so sitting in grease.
The damage you are seeing is consistent with technically...actual corrosion.
I'll see if I can find that article. Its also why I have gone to synthetic oil in mine. Ray

I don't have an inexpensive way to test the TRW cage material. But, based on having seen/held/worked with those types of materials in the past in other endeavors; I don't think TRW used the 'good stuff'. This seems like cheap nylon/plastic that has already degraded. In addition, the TRW cage design leaves you with fewer ball bearings in the cage than the original FAG bearings have.

The pitting in the balls could be from corrosion, or just poor manufacturing procedures.

Yes, see if you can find a link to the article and post it up for us.

Thanks.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

A couple of points of clarification for my mental picture please.

So.....the VW box uses the shim and TRW bkx does not.

So.....does the bearjng outer race seat against a counterbored ledge inside of the housing? I can't tell from the pictures..

If no.......then the only thing keeping the race in place is a combination of the shim and seal.

If yes....does the shim sit on the ledge under the race? It does not appear that it does.

If there is a ledge for the bearing race to sit on.....but the shim is not on that ledge but comes in from the outside.....then the only thing the shim does is provide a seat for the seal.

Also if there is no ledge for the bearing race and the stack up just bearkng race, shim and then seal.....and its only the shim and seal keeping the race from moving outwarr under pressure from the adjustment on the other end......that is part of the reason why the TRW box gets sloppy.

Other item:
I was reading back through this excellent thread......I went back to the polymer cage bearing section. I still stand by my point that polymer cage bearings ard superior (as long as the cage is not old school nylon).........but back when we were talking about the cages....my brain totally skipped over the part about the actual damage to the balls in the bearing.

You note that this box has 0 miles on it or pretty close. That it just spent fives years or so sitting in grease.

That is what sent alarm bells.

The damage you are seeing is consistent with technically...actual corrosion.

This is what is caused when grease/oil becomes acid with age. It does this as a by-product of the sulphides in the oil. They are a sacrificial ion basically.

I have an article from an oil manufacturer somewhere......posted from a site shere others were rebuilding steering boxes and PTO systems on classic tractors and farm equipment. Tbe article explained how the sulphides/sulfur and metals mixes in gear oils and PTO oils work for EP applications.......and how and why they break down and change PH.

This is also where I found out,about the sacrifical copper anodes used in many of these units to combat oil acidity in boxes that are designed to not be serviced for decades.

I'll see if I can find that article. Its also why I have gone to synthetic oil in mine. Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
OKType3Tim wrote:
Rebuild:
So the focus now has to be on sourcing shims.

Popcorn Good luck. I've looked and didn't like what I saw.

Shims are out there, no worries...
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
Rebuild:
So the focus now has to be on sourcing shims.

Popcorn Good luck. I've looked and didn't like what I saw.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Rebuild:
I've decided to rebuild unit #5, the 311.415.131"B" unit. All the measurements are good, and the roller and worm appear to be good.

And I'm going to rebuild unit #3, which is an "A", "+GF+S" unit. The measurements are pretty close to perfect. I'm still considering that I might use the roller and worm from the TRW unit for this one.

Got the major components repainted. 2K epoxy primer and L41 VW Black single stage Acrylic Urethane (PPG Concept DCC paint line).

But, I'm not going to proceed until I have a good shim pack to use. So the focus now has to be on sourcing shims.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

T34's should have their own drop arms so your box was swapped with a normal T3 box at some point...not entirely surprising!

I'll post up when the parts arrive (2-3 weeks).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I just found/located two NOS worm rollers and a NOS steering box case with the bushings installed. They're coming from Germany and I can measure them when they arrive as a point of comparison if you think it'll contribute.

Ataraxia, Yes, posting up measurements from NOS parts would be a great addition.

And it will compare the NOS VW measurements to the TRW measurements (which is a new uninstalled unit) that I listed in the previous post.

ataraxia wrote:

PN:
311 415 371 (early version) - start of production to

My 66 T34 has this early version drop arm on it. Although I don't know why, since the parts book lists a different part for the T34 (341.415.371) with a marking of '341'.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
There are 3 late model drop arms, 1 early model drop arm. Here are the differences; late on the left, early on the right:

Note the markings on the base, "311" vs. "311A"

FWIW the one on the left is the commonly used drop arm - used on pretty much every car I've had from early 64 down to a late 1967 model. 1968 is the year when the tie rod end diameter changed (for 68). The only car I've seen the one on the right used was an early T3 (pre 64). The early PN is in the early Parts book (1963), the later one is the only one that shows up in my 1964 Parts book, 3rd revision.

PN:
311 415 371 (early version) - start of production to ~1963
311 415 371 A (later early version) - good to the end of 1967

OKType3Tim wrote:

There has been discussion and concern about how to know if the bushings are good or bad. From this sample, I think the spec on the main housing bushing was an I.D. of 23.85 mm. And none of these units show any appreciable wear on this bushing.

I think the spec on the bushing in the cover lid was 23.9 mm. As noted, wear of +.2 will be enough that you can physically detect the side-to-side play of the shaft in the bushing

The spec on both the top and lower bearing surface of the roller shaft appears to be 23.48 mm. (Although the shaft in unit#1 appears to have made it through QA with a bit of out-of-roundness.

And, as noted in a post above, the real wear point is the roller needle bearing, and the roller surface and worm surface interface. This wear dependent on getting the proper "play" set on 1st the Steering Worm [where the ball bearings are], 2nd on the top adjusting screw for the roller worm interface, and 3rd the axial play on the roller (needle baring).

I just found/located two NOS worm rollers and a NOS steering box case with the bushings installed. They're coming from Germany and I can measure them when they arrive as a point of comparison if you think it'll contribute.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

EVALUATION:

I set down with some measuring tools to evaluate the 6 units that I've torn down. I didn't use the electronic calipers much as they tend to have me "Over Measuring", looking for accuracy that isn't actually there.

The parts have been cleaned and sorted:

I obtained these from various sources, so some had steering worm flanges, but not all:

Some had drop arms, but not all:

There are 3 late model drop arms, 1 early model drop arm. Here are the differences; late on the left, early on the right:

Note the markings on the base, "311" vs. "311A"

The main components laid out:

Left to Right:

Note the slight difference in the shape of the main housing casting between the 3 different sources. I think that the markings of "+GF+S" vs. "+W&E" could indicated different OE manufacturers contracted by VW. Maybe someone can provide enlightenment on this regarding whether it means subcontractors, divisions, labor unions, or something else. In any case, the "+GS+F" units come with clearly marked casting dates. (although someone messed up at the foundry and put a year of "19" in the mold on January 22nd.

And, so here are the measurements:

There has been discussion and concern about how to know if the bushings are good or bad. From this sample, I think the spec on the main housing bushing was an I.D. of 23.85 mm. And none of these units show any appreciable wear on this bushing.

I think the spec on the bushing in the cover lid was 23.9 mm. As noted, wear of +.2 will be enough that you can physically detect the side-to-side play of the shaft in the bushing

The spec on both the top and lower bearing surface of the roller shaft appears to be 23.48 mm. (Although the shaft in unit#1 appears to have made it through QA with a bit of out-of-roundness.

And, as noted in a post above, the real wear point is the roller needle bearing, and the roller surface and worm surface interface. This wear dependent on getting the proper "play" set on
1st: the Steering Worm [where the ball bearings are],
2nd: on the top adjusting screw for the roller worm interface,
and 3rd: the axial play on the roller (needle bearing).

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy AH yes grasshopper--that is what the Bentley manual says! Laughing

Last edited by OKType3Tim on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
while this is all great info..isnt the most common wear item the worm gear in the straight ahead position? It gets hammered flat which renders it useless?

And this is accelerated if you over tighten the top screw.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
while this is all great info..isnt the most common wear item the worm gear in the straight ahead position? It gets hammered flat which renders it useless?

I've spent the evening evaluating the 6 units that i have torn down now. I'll get the data posted tomorrow. But I will tell you that of the 6, two have bad Roller shafts. 1 roller shaft has bad needle bearings. 1 roller shaft has a flat spot, and the roller shaft bearing play tolerance is out of spec.

And yes, once the roller/worm interface is worn completely down....you are done.

However, I think I'm learning that the 'common wisdom' of "just crank on down on the adjustment screw"; can lead to premature wear of the roller/worm and bushings if you don't understand the way the unit goes together.

So, my short term goal is to take parts from these 6 units, to get at least two units that have will reasonable life left in the roller/worm.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:

Of the six or seven steering boxes I've taken apart the seals are the larger problem. I haven't yet discovered that the worm gear is damaged but I've still got a few to take apart. I'm down to bushings since I've found shims and seals. My bearings, so far, are all okay.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Correct, you only use 1 shim.

But it does affect the cost of producing a shim packet.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

You only use one shim, right? So it doesn't matter if you throw away 5 or 6 extra shims.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Correct, they are just spacers used to shift the center point of the worm shaft. This shift is part of the adjustment to make sure that the "free of play range" between the worm and roller, extends equally from turning left, to turning right.

And correct, they do not run against the balls of the bearing.

Pretty sure that they didn't use inch equivalents. But I also think that the thicknesses spec could have been +-.01 mm. My example is that I have a shim that I extracted with practically no damage. It is marked/notched to be a .30 mm shim. But it actually measures .31 mm.

So... maybe US measurement shims are close enough. No lapping required.

And
What if you made the adjustments using a "6-Shim" US set; instead of a "7-Shim" metric set?

Last edited by OKType3Tim on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: