Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humbug44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Yes bnam - I thought about that too, but the existing shims rotate under an axial load which might end up destroying a very thin shim I think.

If a person had a precision grinding table, it would be possible to replace one of the existing shims with a slightly thicker one. Quite a job though by the time you remove the axle shaft and figure out how to fix it back in place Smile
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Just buy a new roller. There's more than just shims in the roller. You have the bearings in there as well. As soon as there is free play that free play shows up in the steering wheel. There is a lot of force on that roller and the hardness of the material show that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

What if you got a shim of the right thickness, cut a slot to the center just narrower than the roller’s shaft/spindle diameter and inserted the shim between the roller and the body to reduce the play?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Humbug44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Somewhere in a steering thread, someone asked about whether anything can be done to salvage a roller whose side (axial) play is greater than the maximum allowed (0.04mm or 0.0017").

I have a roller which has about 0.1mm side play - apart from that it's in really good shape. I was curious about how much play at the wheel is caused by the side play of the roller. In other words, how critical is the roller side play?

I sat down and using the steering box gear ratio. found that every 0.01mm (0.0004") side play in the roller causes about 1mm free play at the steering wheel. So, the side play in my roller will cause about 10mm of free play at the steering.

So how bad is that? I have read that up to 15mm at the steering wheel is permissible. A person might argue that if everything else is 'tight', you might get away with a 10mm contribution from a roller like mine - or not depending on your point of view:)

Anyway - food for thought.

Mike
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
There is enough tolerance between the cap bushing and the shaft to take up a small variation in gasket thickness with no ill effects.

I’d say a gasket is not even needed. A very thin application of sealant should do, right?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

There is enough tolerance between the cap bushing and the shaft to take up a small variation in gasket thickness with no ill effects.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I just reread this excellent thread. I do have one question - why is the thickness of the paper gasket critical? If the replacement is a bit thicker, wouldn’t a slight turn of the adjustment screw make up that thickness difference?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Humbug44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks go to OKType3Tim - he did all the work. I just quoted his post for my bearing question Smile
VDub67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Way more than I wanted to know but excellent post, Humbug44 !! Very Happy

After a crash in 1988, body parts were scavenged and now a reincarnation to a sand rail with totally new engine (2180cc with hydraulic lifters and twin 2-barrel EMPI carbs.) Construction is in progress ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humbug44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
So, on to the Worm Shaft.

I had to think through a way to explain the importance of the bearing and bearing race wear on the operation of the steering box. You may have to put your thinking cap on to follow me on this one. So here goes.

First, here is a well worn but nice looking worm shaft. It is the one that I used in an earlier post to find out the rockwell hardness of a VW worm shaft. There are no flat spots, but in the middle section of the worm it is nice and shiny all the way to the bottom of the worm groove. The bearing races at either end are shiny bright, but no pits or grievous damage.

Here is a set of used bearings which show no pits or obvious damage. However, they just "feel loose", compared to new bearings. They are from one of Josh's units and I just didn't feel comfortable with them. I.E. the bearing balls just seem to have a lot of clearance from each other, which to me is a sign of wear. When you measure the diameter of an individual bearing ball, it is only .0005" (1/2 thousandth) different from a new bearing ball. BUT, with 13 balls in the race, that is .0065" throughout the entire cage. In addition, the holes in the cage are worn enough that I might just be able to pop a ball out through the cage hole. However, I could see someone being tempted to reuse them.

For comparison, I have a new worm shaft that came from the TRW tear down. It is the one that I used in an earlier post to find out the rockwell hardness of the TRW worm shaft. It has some marking from the fact that the shaft was rotated many times prior to disassembly; but this shaft was never in service with any load on it.

And then a new set of original FAG bearings:

After a few attempts I came up with the method shown in this picture to measure the difference in the two assemblies.
[The machinists more experienced than I, may be slapping their forehead saying, "I can't believe he did that". But after trying a couple other methods, this provided repeatable results. And I'd be glad to know if there is a better method. The indicator is hanging out there pretty far, and it would have been better to shorten up the arm. I did have it locked pretty firm, and I tipped the parts stack in and out carefully to not disturb the indicator.]

When I stacked up the used stack of bearings and shaft, the dial indicator showed this reading:
(note that I'm going to be after "difference" reading, not an absolute reading.

Then I stacked up a new stack of bearings and shaft, with the dial indicator showing this reading:

(difference = 15.25 - 4.25) Working out the conversion, the stack of new parts is .14-mm longer (taller).

[Disclaimer here: I'm ignoring the potential issues of manufacturing variances, in order to make the explanation.]

Let's suppose that you are going to rebuild using the original parts. It would be reasonable to assume that the wear difference is equal on each end. So adjusting the big nut you take out all the slack. (Per Bob Hoover, adjust the big nut first!) So, you have moved the worm shaft .07-mm up toward the steering column. (The other .07-mm being taken up at the big nut end.) If you were keeping the original parts, and just adjusting the settings of both the Big nut and the adjuster screw, then you would need an additional .05-mm of shim to get the "no-play" zone of the worm back to the middle. E.G. if you originally had a .25-mm shim, then you would go to a .30-mm shim.

[in the upcoming post on final assembly, I'll detail more about the "no-play" zone. And discuss issues about more shim vs. less shim.]

So, lets keep the old shaft, but put new bearings on it:

Working out the conversion, we are now just .048-mm short of the full new stack. We got 2/3rd of the wear back just from the bearings! So we have gotten the worm shaft back pretty close to where it should be (or originally was). Final assembly and test will determine if we will still need to change the shim.

SO...What's the point? If you can't measure it the way shown above, and you don't have a new worm shaft!
My point is to share, that just because the bearings and races aren't blown out doesn't mean they don't have wear. And that wear is going to affect you as you try to adjust your existing unit. Adjusting the big nut has to be done, and it is going to take up the wear; but taking up that wear shifts the worm shaft up toward the the steering column. That shifts the center point of the worm shaft, which shifts the "no-play' zone. But you want that "no-play" zone to be located so that the car tracks nice when you are driving straight, with the steering wheel straight, motoring along the freeway at speed. To shift that "No-Play" zone without changing the shims means you start messing with steering wheel orientation and tie rod adjustments.

As always, comments and discussion welcome.
[If this post is not understandable, don't hesitate to speak up and I'll try to make it better. I had to put my own thinking cap on just to write it. Think ]

It also will help you to review this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/practicalwork_steering.php

Tim - thank you and the other contributors to this post. I realise it is quite an old thread now but it has helped me figure out how to rebuild my Beetle steering box.

Tim, there is an image above where you show 'a new set of original FAG bearings'. I'm a bit curious because the cage on the right bearing has a circular mark running around it's circumference near the bottom of the balls. You mention in another post that this marking is caused by the cage coming into contact with the race due to wear. So I'm wondering if some bearings like the one you show have that mark from new?

Mike
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

VDub67 wrote:
Especially for OKType3Tim -

Excellent writeup and thread. Also, great pictures and diagrams.

I wonder how the steering box for the Type 1 would be different than the one you elaborated on (Type 1).

Also, if you'd kindly take a look at the thread I just posted (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10006536#10006536),

can you please tell me how you got it apart? I.e., what keeps the top gear from coming out of the housing?

==============
As sjbartnik noted: Type 1 and Type 3 steering boxes are the same noting that early Type 1's are different. And the super beetle box is different.
==============
I posted instructions on your thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

The Type 1 steering box and Type 3 steering box are the same, at least for torsion-bar front end Beetles. I'm pretty sure the Super Beetle box is different.
VDub67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Especially for OKType3Tim -

Excellent writeup and thread. Also, great pictures and diagrams.

I wonder how the steering box for the Type 1 would be different than the one you elaborated on (Type 1).

Also, if you'd kindly take a look at the thread I just posted (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10006536#10006536),

can you please tell me how you got it apart? I.e., what keeps the top gear from coming out of the housing?

After a crash in 1988, body parts were scavenged and now a reincarnation to a sand rail with totally new engine (2180cc with hydraulic lifters and twin 2-barrel EMPI carbs.) Construction is in progress ...
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Does the 1973 Super beetle (10/72 manufacture date, if it matters) share the same shim setups and overall internal construction? I need to pull the seals and clean it up soon and was curious as to where to find info to have everything ready when I get it out and open.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I know a couple people that are rebuilding steering gear boxes. Email me and I will put you into contact with them.
sent a pm thank you btw my box came off a show bug from the early 2000s. it does have a 311 part number and the stem seems to be a bit taller than a bug box. I also have a bug box that one is beat up pretty bad . the cover is .
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I know a couple people that are rebuilding steering gear boxes. Email me and I will put you into contact with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Rancho Transmission is in SoCal.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

HI I have a bugbox that I want to have rebuild is anyone on here rebuilding boxes? for a bug. thanks
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
Hole plugs.

It's not that hard to get the correct part. They are still produced. Some examples:

https://www.vwnos.com/search?q=311415133

Those are genuine with a little VW stamp on them. I'm surprised how much others are charging for them.
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Open_air wrote:
New to forum, so won't let me PM anyone for 1 day. Will contact you as soon as I am able. Thank you in advance.

I PM'd you with information and you can email me.

Tim

Thanks Everett.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: