Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I was looking for some lubricants. I came across this one for Bosch worm drives.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/circular-saw-attachments-wd7lub-27325-p/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I was looking for some lubricants. I came across this one for Bosch worm drives.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/circular-saw-attachments-wd7lub-27325-p/

I'll stay with Corn Head Grease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

If you have a friendly CNC operator it may be possible to cut these, BUT you are going to have to run quantity to offset tooling and programming costs. Heat treating is another nightmare unless the shop you chose (and material you use) really does what they are paid to do - so often they don't! The shafts would have to be handled with care during the heat treating process to avoid any bending. At 80+RWC they are like glass, and will tend to break if you try to straighten them cold. My choice would be to repair good German shafts and shim them accordingly - you know where you are then. I will turn a little of the shaft down and Rockwell it to see if the number changes - I am guessing no, as this part was not intended to flex and through hardness would have been a plus.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

While the gearboxes on jig saws, scroll saws etc.....are "worm drive"......the scale and surface pressure loading are totally different. Its a different "universe" of worm drives.

You can find lubricants for these drives from Bosch, Milwaukee, Skil and otjers.....and they all have one thing in common. They are 90% mineral oil with few if any extreme pressure additives that our steering gearboxes and PTO drives require.

They also have at this point no data on shearabiity or viscosity that I can find. Because of lack of EP additives alone they are unsuitable for a steering gearbox. Ray
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

So, when do I put in the saw dust? Laughing

So if ZF now owns TRW, is quality going to be affected ya think?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
So, when do I put in the saw dust? Laughing

So if ZF now owns TRW, is quality going to be affected ya think?

Poor TRW.

They are like the "town pump" of the parts industry. Laughing They must have nice curves (as companies go)...because everyone has had a piece of TRW over the years.

First sold to Northrup Grumman in 2002...which spun off the Automotive sector to Blackstone group in 2004. These are the big marks.

But..."segments" of TRW were traded and bought for quite some time
They were connected with Cofap in Brazil in the 1990s. Parts of them were bought and then shed by Kelsey Hayes in the 90s and 2000's....and ZF picked up a large segment of them in 2015.

But...the main company has still been held by Blackstone and Northrup Grumman.

There have been others as well...pieces of Federal mogul....you name it. Everyone seems to have taken a ride on TRW at some point.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

More TRW drama from yesteryear... founded by multiple ex-Hughes Aircraft geniuses who didn't like how Hughes ran his company. Founder Thompson, and then Ramo, Wooldridge (hence, TRW). This is turn spawned Pacific Semiconductors, the Aerospace Corporation, Bunker-Ramo, Experian, and TRW Automotive which is now part of ZF Friedrichshafen. Persons coming from TRW were important to build up corporations like SpaceX, according to wiki.

I worked at Hughes Missiles in Canoga Park, CA, which was an old Bunker-Ramo-built campus from the late 1950s, closing a circle. Late in my career I worled for Litton Industries, bought by Northrop Grumman (who bought TRW), closing yet another circle.

And who can forget the Star Trek connection...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I spent six months at TRW (including in the building above) when I worked for Hughes cooperating on an SDI anti-missile project.

The aerospace industry is heavily incestuous!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I love that explanation. Thanks.

raygreenwood wrote:
kawfee wrote:

While the gearboxes on jig saws, scroll saws etc.....are "worm drive"......the scale and surface pressure loading are totally different. Its a different "universe" of worm drives.

You can find lubricants for these drives from Bosch, Milwaukee, Skil and otjers.....and they all have one thing in common. They are 90% mineral oil with few if any extreme pressure additives that our steering gearboxes and PTO drives require.

They also have at this point no data on shearabiity or viscosity that I can find. Because of lack of EP additives alone they are unsuitable for a steering gearbox. Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Related to, and confirming, an item several posts back:

Yes there appears to be a new run of TRW steering boxes that have a differently marked housing. This run does not have the TRW marking on the side of the housing, and has the VW/Audi symbol ground off of the front of the housing.

I finished a rebuild today for Rob. He sent me his old VW unit, which unfortunately was totally, totally used up. It was well cared for right to the end, not abused. But the only things we salvaged were the cover, cover bolts, roller shaft adjuster screw with lock nut, and marker ring. The original VW cover got a new bushing.

Rob then shipped me a new TRW unit. As expected, both the roller shaft adjuster screw, and the big worm shaft adjuster were set way to tight. The unit was completely torn down and cleaned. The TRW housing, roller shaft, worm shaft, and circlip were used. New FAG bearings, New double lip seals, new gasket, new roller shaft shim, new grease plugs. As previously noted, the TRW worm shaft cavity is not machined to allow for a worm shaft shim. Thus, to get the mid point set correctly, I had to mill a few thou off the back of the upper worm shaft bearing race.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used the build procedure I've previously documented here, and all of the adjustments came it at the proper values.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I purchased two of those units. All in all, do they seem to be better than the previous ones?

Would you suggest that we readjust these units before using them? I am just wondering if we can backoff the screws a bit as you did will everything fall in line.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
All in all, do they seem to be better than the previous ones?

All in all, they have the exact same failings. Low quality bearings, Direct steel to Aluminum contact in the cover, single lip seals, incorrect adjustment setting when manufactured, no easy ability to correctly set the middle point to be dead-on. The housings (previous and current) do not have the "alignment" castings that the original VW units have. My speculation is that these "alignment" castings were used to get the housing into the proper orientation so that all of the different machining operations would result in a unit:

that mounted square on the beam,
    with the worm shaft connecting to the steering column in a straight line; instead of being cocked over to one side or the other.
    And that the internal alignment of the worm shaft to the roller shaft is square.

I will agree that the units I have seen recently don't have the severe machining alignment problems that my units had......the units that got me started on this journey. I suppose I was just unfortunate? Rolling Eyes

kawfee wrote:
Would you suggest that we readjust these units before using them? I am just wondering if we can backoff the screws a bit as you did will everything fall in line.

I wouldn't use one without getting it loosened up. Read up in one of the Bentley manuals, or this thread, to understand. In today's build, I did not turn the shafts even a fraction prior to disassembly; because they were so tight that I knew from experience that there would be visible damage to the roller and worm. But you will still have low quality worm bearings, and steel to aluminum cover bearing at the top of the roller shaft.

The mid point may be close, but it won't just "fall in line".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:

I'll stay with Corn Head Grease.

Dancing

What’s That Noise?!?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

The tightness of the TRW box, lack of a gasket between the aluminum top and the cast body and the single lip seals guarantees that it will fail in short order.

It's rather obvious that TRW has 'value engineered' every last cent out of this product to reduce their manufacturing cost at the detriment of quality and longevity.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I've had the ability to see these boxes opened up and compared to OE units. You would think if someone had gone to the time and trouble and expense of doing comparative analysis folks could connect the dots. Reading back through some comments there seems to be a few shills for TRW here. Nothing surprises me anymore. Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I've had the ability to see these boxes opened up and compared to OE units. You would think if someone had gone to the time and trouble and expense of doing comparative analysis folks could connect the dots. Reading back through some comments there seems to be a few shills for TRW here. Nothing surprises me anymore. Very Happy

Sadly....virtually any part that is made these days has......engineering calculations involved with regard to its projected longevity.

By that I mean....if this steering box is looked at with the same level of scrutiny by the manufacturer...as any other AFTERMARKET replacement part....and the key word here is replacement part and not OEM production line "NEW" vehicle parts....then these TRW steering boxes fit the bill perfectly.

For example, virtually any aftermarket new alternator, water pump, power steering pump etc.....is rarely built to the same specs and tolerances as the original parts that went into the vehicle when it was new. No way.

The part would be NOT be affordable. I do business with a couple of production divisions of one of the largest aftermarket parts manufacturers in the world.

The parts designed as replacement parts....for largely USED vehicles...that now have limited lifespans....and these would be parts offered by FLAPS chains....are NOT made to the same quality as the original. If they were.... would be unaffordable.

When a manufacturer like VW or even GM....contracts with TRW or Federal Mogul or ZF or Sachs....for a design to be built to standards they are willing to warrant the car for and willing to stake their name to....they order parts and tooling...in quantity to fit the projected production run and the projected dealer service meed for a minimum of five years.

Thats a sh*tload of parts. At that scale of manufacturing they can demand any level of higher quality they want...and get it. And...the tooling is new.

Skip to 20 years later or more....and when someone like TRW or any other company makes a very limited supply of parts to feed FLAPS chains....on demand....its typically with old worn tooling and with no economy of scale involved with which to make it affordable at a higher level of quality.

They have to work within what the market bears for the cost of that part. In other words...they have a limited budget.

And again....at least a small part of this is the fault of US...as the consumers. If the average flaps chain knew or could see the trend that the average type 3 owner were willing to spend say...$350-400 for an OEM quality steering gearbox....then the FLAPS chain could afford to spend $275-300 per unit....and they might be then able to get OEM quality.

In short...even with all of the problems....if you can figure that these TRW units might give 40-50k miles before just crapping out....then that is just about the same life expected of a new, cheap repop for any of the sub-assemblies mentioned.

The people I have been dealing with at the large parts producers carefully point out the differences in the parts they are currently building for Auto manufacturers that are going into NEW cars.....and those that are for aftermarket.
Not all of the parts have quality differences (like seals and gaskets for example)....but many of the sub-assemblies like we are speaking of....do not have $$$ built into them to allow top quality materials and in many cases also do not allow as much QC time investment. Quality inspection, tooling and correction costs money and that has to be built into the cost per unit.

Just some things to think about. Ray
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Ray,

That's interesting and sounds logical.

I'd pay double for a steering box that was in better condition but maybe I am not the 'norm'.

Last edited by heimlich on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Ray, with a few caveats, that the aftermarket isn't typically supplied the same quality parts as the OE.

The company that I work for owns a lot of the tooling for our vehicles and, 30 years later, we can have our suppliers crank out OE spec parts if one of our larger customers commits to buy them. In addition, we negotiate parts supply contracts that specifically state that aftermarket parts have to be at least as good as the production parts the vehicles are assembled with as new. We are an exception in this area - most others simply 'let the aftermarket take care of itself' or they sell OE parts at OE prices (which 80% of people won't buy). Since most people don't buy OE parts at OE prices, aftermarket suppliers reduce quality to the benefit of cost - making it cheaper for both the supplier and the customer. This also reduces longevity (something most people don't really consider) and increases future sales due to shorter lifespan.

For something like a Volkswagen steering box, VW washed their hands of this part 30 years ago, if not more, and let the aftermarket do what it will at a price the customer is willing to pay. So they 'value engineer' cost out of the product to either meet profitability requirements or to meet a specific price point/control cost.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Companies figured this out a long time ago. We are a consume and throw away society. Things last just long enough to make us happy to buy a new one.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Companies figured this out a long time ago. We are a consume and throw away society. Things last just long enough to make us happy to buy a new one.

Post war era introduced the country to 'disposable' goods and it's only grown from there.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
I tend to agree with Ray, with a few caveats, that the aftermarket isn't typically supplied the same quality parts as the OE.

The company that I work for owns a lot of the tooling for our vehicles and, 30 years later, we can have our suppliers crank out OE spec parts if one of our larger customers commits to buy them. In addition, we negotiate parts supply contracts that specifically state that aftermarket parts have to be at least as good as the production parts the vehicles are assembled with as new. We are an exception in this area - most others simply 'let the aftermarket take care of itself' or they sell OE parts at OE prices (which 80% of people won't buy). Since most people don't buy OE parts at OE prices, aftermarket suppliers reduce quality to the benefit of cost - making it cheaper for both the supplier and the customer. This also reduces longevity (something most people don't really consider) and increases future sales due to shorter lifespan.

For something like a Volkswagen steering box, VW washed their hands of this part 30 years ago, if not more, and let the aftermarket do what it will at a price the customer is willing to pay. So they 'value engineer' cost out of the product to either meet profitability requirements or to meet a specific price point/control cost.

I totally agree....there are ...thankfully...some notable exceptions to what I was getting at. There are some companies that can and do make first tier quality parts.
Most of them even when making replacement parts...are classed as specialty parts within their own industry because the level of quality....is custom.

Most of the companies I have seen that can do this....are special in the respect that...as you note...they own a lot of tooling.

But not only that...and even more important....these companies have and still employ tool makers and designers so they can service their tooling and keep it accurate whether its injection molding dies or forging blanks or die cutting dies.

This is usually a result of either skillful or timely investment that originally bought certain types of machinery or invested in the ability to provide certain technical services...sometimes decades ago....and sometimes for one project that is now long defunct....but the baseline machinery serves on for new tooling.

Some of these companies now provide tooling services for the few other companies who can afford to invest in new tooling. Still others..depending on the complexity of what they manufacture...have skillfully invested in the new technologies that make at least one or more segments of tooling production cheaper...like 3D modelling and prototyping.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 24

Jump to: