Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column interchange
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phishfud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Steering column interchange Reply with quote

The column on my 71 is a mess. Its missing pieces and the wiring and steering wheel are hammered. I found a complete 69 assembly with wheel and ignition. Will it fit? Thanks for any help!
72 Chevelle SS
78 Trans Am
69 Roadrunner
68 GTO
70 Charger
72 Demon
70 Dart
55 Chevy

..aint toys fun ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column interchange Reply with quote

The '71 column, ignition switch and turn signal lever are one-year only. There are wiring differences so it's best to use '71 parts.

The ignition switch in NLA but you can modify a cheaper '71 Bug unit to work if you are good at crimping connectors:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616570

And this ad is still there... a real steal if available:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2187365

The TS switch is unique due to the wiring sheath and custom connectors. It might be shared with '70. They do come up for sale in the classifieds occasionally, but not cheap. I don't know if another more common year's switch can be fed into the '71 wire chase or not... lots of custom fine crimps but maybe do-able.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2313106
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2227357

So your question... whether the whole assembly can be substituted... not super easy for sure with the '71 wiring (like the ignition X-terminal for the headlights, and maybe the buzzer circuit). Mechanically? I don't know when the collapsible sections came, and when they changed... Bentley might be of help here.

For me, the Type 3 dash wiring is such a Medusa's head that I tried to stay with stock, so at least the manual will be of help when troubleshooting later.
phishfud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column interchange Reply with quote

I appreciate the help. Its just my luck I get the one year only car lol. I wanna keep it as simple as possible so I'll be on the lookout for a 71 assembly.
72 Chevelle SS
78 Trans Am
69 Roadrunner
68 GTO
70 Charger
72 Demon
70 Dart
55 Chevy

..aint toys fun ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phishfud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column interchange Reply with quote

I appreciate the help. Its just my luck I get the one year only car lol. I wanna keep it as simple as possible so I'll be on the lookout for a 71 assembly.
72 Chevelle SS
78 Trans Am
69 Roadrunner
68 GTO
70 Charger
72 Demon
70 Dart
55 Chevy

..aint toys fun ???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: