Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

Radio stopped working the other day and I decided to pull it and investigate. It's getting 12v on one of the two leads (the main one) and only 5.3 on the other (the one that feeds the memory, holds the presets and such). That doesn't seem right to me. Sadly, this was a problem when I got the van last year. The radio worked but the associated CD changer (mmmm, smells like the 90s in here) didn't have enough power. Had that fixed at my mechanic a year ago and am not sure I want to spend shop rates to fix it again.

Anyone have an idea what the blue blazes is up with this, how you would get a fraction of the 12v? Pulling the panel is a nightmare, with all the extraneous junk that has been wired in and removed. It barely moves when unscrewed, such a rats nest. I did find a blown fuse (one of my high beams) in the course of my investigations. But I doubt it's related.

The radio is crappy anyway but there's no point in getting a new one if the power is suspect.

Turns out the auxiliary battery is discharged down to 5v. I suspect something went wrong when I installed the alternator harness the other week, as I think all was good up to that point.

Sad

Looks like a bad crimp on the inline fuse was starving the aux battery of charge. Trying to stuff 8AWG into a 10AWG crimp isn't always successful. Remade it with some dielectric grease and heat shrink until I can locate 8AWG butt crimps. Continuity is happening and after a 15-20 minute drive, the charge is back up to over 6v from under 5v earlier. I hope I haven't compromised the battery after just a month of it being installed.

All part of life's rich pageant…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

If your battery has been at less than 6V for a month, it is definitely not going to be very happy. If you have a charger with a "revive" setting or something similar, it would be a good time to hook it up.

I have Molex Perma-Seal 8AWG butt connectors with built in heat shrink and internal adhesive if you need a few. PM me and I will get you a price. You might also be able to find them at a marine supply store if you have a decent one nearby.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

I suspect it hasn't been down there that long. It just dropped down there last week when the radio died as I know it will run on 6v. I think I'll run it up to FLAPS where I bought it and let them see what's what.

I'll look for crimps: they likely have them, I just didn't realize that one didn't take properly.

It's on the charger at FLAPS and wasn't rejected ( Pray ) so that's a good sign.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

Is your radio wired to both batteries? It seems it should only be wired to the aux battery so it doesn't draw down the starter battery in camp.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

Apparently, it is. Not sure why. I never listen to it except while driving so not a big deal. I like the music provided at campgrounds better.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

Well, I took jimf909's advice and wired both leads to be always-on via the auxiliary battery. Popped a couple of fuses in the process of tracking down why it didn't work as PO's crimps exposed copper. That was drove that decision: if I have to redo it anyway, why not do it so it's all on one battery, preferably not the starter?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
...Popped a couple of fuses in the process of tracking down why it didn't work...

For next time -- you can easily make a resusable 'fuse' from an old headlight. You just use the remaining good filament in the headlight wired in series in place of the fuse (two leads and alligator clips). If all is well with the circuit the headlight will glow when powered up. If there is a short the headlight will shine brightly (and harmlessly).

I always keep a headlight on the workbench wired for this.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doublecheck your crimps :oops: (was 6V to the radio? Why?) Reply with quote

You shared that with me earlier and I did make a little test rig. Never found that short but all the things that weren't working do now, and with a smaller fuse to be safe (15 for 20). This one was easy. That telltale pop and the sight of exposed copper all I needed to know

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: