Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

welding - I did something wrong
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

I was welding some holes up in my single cab today, they turned out fair but the real problem came afterwards. I went to start it and the gauges come to life but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I have 12v at the battery and coil......any thoughts? All fuses look good too. Ugh!!
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

was the battery disconnected during welding?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

Yes, you probably fried the ecu.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

There are lots of EC........U in the classifieds, no worries
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

You hook it back up correct? Does nothing include cranking over?
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

Silly me did not disconnect the battery. I went underneath it tonite and jump started the starter with a screw driver....it turned over. I went in and the car turned over with the key. I tried it again and nothing. Went under again and did the screw driver trick again, the Bendix spun but not the starter. I went in the cab and it started with the key, did that about 5 times and all was well. Maybe the starter going bad? Did I do something to the Bendix May have to get a new starter?? Thanks for the replies.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

oldthingguy wrote:
Did I do something to the Bendix

When you turn the key to start it begins a chain reaction and doesn't actually send full juice through the ignition to turn the start armature. The start solenoid has a fine winding of copper wire that creates a magnetic field strong enough to pull a metal cylinder that is connected to the Bendix. When the Bendix is fully pulled in it makes contact with the big battery wire and that sends full current to the armature through a metal contact.

When you weld there are super strong jolts of stray current sent through the metal of your bus and theoretically it returns to the ground you clipped on from your welder. If you didn't disconnect your busses battery ground then some of the jolts can find their way around through places that shouldn't get jolted. It's possible that a little tit formed on the solenoid contact that created a tiny insulation point that you corrected by operating it over and over. Worst case is there is a break in the fine winding. Time will tell.

Or it might be something as simple as a Gremlin that went back into hiding.
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

Did you weld in an area that the wiring harness is in and burn the wires? Seen it done......
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: welding - I did something wrong Reply with quote

BarryL - thank you for the explanation and hopefully it was a simple item like you described. Today it started just fine, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Eventually I will replace the starter as I know nothing of it's history and none came from the previous owner.
BTW - some have asked about wires, I was welding some holes in the top portion of the bed floor.
Thanks for all your replies....... Smile
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: