Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket heater solutions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trokita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

So I searched for a thread but didn't come up with anything, so here goes:
what are some good cabin heat solutions if one doesn't want to go the factory engine heat route? I have a 74.

Don't think I want to try the gas heater route either?

Was hoping there was some set up where I could attach heaters and fans to the rear fresh air inlet holes under the backseat, then just operate the levers and run the tubing as the factory did....

Anyone using anything other than factory options for heat, when needed?

This is my first post, great site!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

Why not go with a gas heater? They are a self contained unit, easy to install, and put out a ton of heat.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Why not go with a gas heater? They are a self contained unit, easy to install, and put out a ton of heat.

I think it would be pretty hard to find all the bits and pieces. There are some parts I've seen in the classifieds only once in 10 years.

A search for "12v truck cab heater" will turn up plenty of options.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I've got 2 complete 73 gas heaters, and I've planned on putting one in my 73 since 2001.......maybe it'll happen by 2021?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I have a Coleman Butane camping (tent) heater that I use here in SoCal when it get too chilly. Works great!

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

If you don't mind the expense, Espar airtronic or Webasto heaters seem like a pretty solid way to go. There are lots of diesel versions on Ebay for around the $1k mark but occasionally a gasoline version pops up. Those seem to be one of the more reliable heating options for our vehicles.
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I love my BN4 in our 73. It's the best heat ever for an aircoooled IMO. But a 74 needs some holes cut for the intake and exhaust, in addition to the misc parts to make it complete (plumbing and electrical controls). However, knowing what I know now, if I had a 74, I'd still make the required mods and make it a BN4.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

My '73 has a BN4 that works fine. With the side curtains up it can handle any weather. But with the side curtains down rear seat passengers can be a little chilly. I got a 12v electric blanket and it keeps the back passengers toasty.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

The 12v seat heaters and blankets are a good option-they are available all over including Amazon.
Trokita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. Will start researching as suggested. In another life, perhaps I would try to mod the bn4 onto my 74...

Thanks again.
Trokita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

So I looked around a bit, per the suggestions above, and found this:

http://www.my12voltstore.com/product_p/sd12-5000.htm

What does everyone think? It's ducted, 10,000 btu, and my plan would be to mount it under the back seat opposite the battery.

All electric. Can wire it directly to the battery a short distance away. Route the ducting right to the existing Thing tunnel.

Comes with up to four duct openings.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

If you go that route please post an update with your results and send me a pm as well if you don't mind. I would be curious if it works.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

That heater is a good solution you will need larger diameter wires for the project. I wonder if this would be a good time to install an alternator if you don't have one. I may buy these for work for our loaders and tractors that we use in the winter.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I'm no electrician, but I think if you're planning on seeing 10k btu you're going to need one heck of an alternator. I had a roommate years ago that had an electric heater inside a Subaru that he would plug in with the block heater at night. Of course that was 120 but what a treat waking up to that in the pre-garage days.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

If that heater really puts out 10,000 BTU and adding in some inefficiencies you are going to need a 400 amp alternator to power that thing.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

It's rated for 50 amps. Not sure what the output of the stock generator is, but I'd be looking into a 100 amp alternator conversion so you can still charge your battery and run some lights when that thing is turned on.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
It's rated for 50 amps. Not sure what the output of the stock generator is, but I'd be looking into a 100 amp alternator conversion so you can still charge your battery and run some lights when that thing is turned on.

50 amps at 12v will not produce anything close to the 10,020 BTU they also claim it will, so their advertising is extremely false to start with. The highest output heater you could run for any length of time with the stock electrical system is around 800 BTU (20 amps) which isn't very much heat.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

Its more like 2000 BTUs per hour max; which still isn't that bad. It would be perfect for small spaces. I also like the heated seat suggestion.

My Thing barley charges my battery so I was already considering installing an alternator; but that is for another topic.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

12v heater would be completely useless in a moving uninsulated vehicle.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket heater solutions? Reply with quote

I have been eyeing the Webasto Airtop 2000 for quite some time. Now that the UK elected to leave the EU, the price is down 20%!
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: