Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, 1/2 hour later won't start...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

So the van has been running great and starts right up. Today I moved it in the garage to do a little work, just pressure tested the coolant system and resecured the cooling pipes better as things settled in from replacing them in Dec.

Go to start it and nothing, doesn't turn over, I can hear the fuel pump go on for a few seconds. Battery tests out at 12.8. I've looked all throughout the engine and underneath for any wiring/connections I may have knocked loose. I found something on the tranny, two wires that go into a round looking attachment, not sure what that is, one was off the terminal. I reconnected it but still nothing. Last time this happened was after redoing the harness and it was a slightly loose Hall Sensor connection, checked that and it seems fine.

Any suggestions? If it doesn't even turn over that's gotta narrow it somewhat right? Seems like it must be a loose sensor connection that just disables everything.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So !/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

If it does not turn over then it is likely be a connection to the starter. I would start by looking at the solenoid. There is a red/black wire with a spade connector that can get knocked off the solenoid. See if it is connected or not.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So !/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

The term "turn over" is a slang that often causes confusion in "no-start" discussions.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So !/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The term "turn over" is a slang that often causes confusion in "no-start" discussions.

Yep, I am assuming the starter does not turn over the engine.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So !/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

The following all have to be in good condition for the engine to crank.

-Positive battery cable
-Negative battery cable
-Tranny ground strap

Removing and cleaning both ends of all three of these is a good idea. I like to use dielectric grease on the connections when redoing them, though I prefer Vasoline on the battery posts themselves.

You can try jumping from the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid to the big B+ lug with all the wires on it. Be sure the tranny is in neutral (manual) or park (automatic) when doing this so you don't run yourself over.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So !/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

even with anew starter in mine I sometimes have to turn/try the key 3-4-5 times till it'll 'turn the motor over' ie. starter spinning the motor.

the Distributor HALL has no effect on if it'll 'turn over' or not.
it will impede it's ability to start though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I will check these out. I checked the starter but will double check that connection.

What is a better way of saying the engine does not turn over? That always meant more to me than it won't start.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Auto or manual? If auto then check your neutral safety switch.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
What is a better way of saying the engine does not turn over? That always meant more to me than it won't start.

Is there any sound?

EDIT: ooops

pomfritz wrote:
Go to start it and nothing, doesn't turn over, I can hear the fuel pump go on for a few seconds. Battery tests out at 12.8.

Sorry, this is a pretty good description. My fault for skipping details reading on the phone.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

"Engine does not turn over"

Engine does not spin when the key is turned to the start position.

"Engine does not start"

Engine rotates with the key in the start position, but does not fire and run on the fuel in the tank, independant of the starter motor.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
...What is a better way of saying the engine does not turn over?...

'Crank' is sometimes used - as in 'won't crank' or 'cranks but doesn't start'.

But really, I don't find 'doesn't turn over' to be at all ambiguous.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Do you know how to "jump" it from the big starter wire to the little blade (on the starter)? You would use a screwdriver to electrically connect the little blade terminal to the big starter wire terminal. The starter should crank. If the key is "on" the engine might start. But in any case you can use it to confirm if the starter is OK.

It might surprise you, so be ready. It will spark and make some racket, most people jump when it happens. Some fellers do this every day intending to get it fixed someday. They don't jump.

Be CERTAIN the car is IN NEUTRAL because if it's in gear, it may 'drive'.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here's an applicable YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv0zjxp6654

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

However you wanna put it, it ain't running.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Ha I recognize that method. I had a early 70s spitfire back in the 80s. That was theonly way to start it on wet days. That screwdriver had a sorts of burn marks on it. That and a 71 Datsun 510 were my early exposure to fixing my own cars. Something I avoided until recently.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
Ha I recognize that method. I had a early 70s spitfire back in the 80s. That was theonly way to start it on wet days. That screwdriver had a sorts of burn marks on it. That and a 71 Datsun 510 were my early exposure to fixing my own cars. Something I avoided until recently.

OK good. This step may suggest where the problem is, or where the problem is NOT.

pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

yeah it still ain't running, cranking, turning over, or making any putt putt sounds.

I checked the starter connections, there was a frayed wire that I fixed but that did not help. Maybe about 5 stands out of 30 were cut. Looks like maybe it was rubbing against the CV sometimes, but not recently as i had zip tied this up last year, when i added some of Jay's hard start relay stuff.

I measured the voltage at the starter post and got 12.8. Would jumping make it start if I have voltage coming into the starter? Im hoping I could avoid that jump procedure if possible.

As much as I would like to solve this myself, I may call reinforcements on this, I need it running for a trip next week.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

You need to read the voltage at the starter when key it turned. The sitting voltage at the battery is pretty meaningless.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
yeah it still ain't running, cranking, turning over, or making any putt putt sounds

I measured the voltage at the starter post and got 12.8. Would jumping make it start if I have voltage coming into the starter? Im hoping I could avoid that jump procedure if possible.

Wildthings is telling you that 12.8v at the starter post tells you that there is at least a 12.8v "trickle" there. You need a 12.8v "FLOOD" at the starter post and the only way you can tell that is if there is a serious load on it.

You should do the screwdriver jump procedure and report back. It's an important and VERY simple test. Just cross the battery post to the small blade terminal long enough to see if the starter motor cranks. Maybe cover the screwdriver shank in black tape so only the last 3/4 inch is exposed. Key OFF, and trans in NEUTRAL.

If the starter motor cranks (turns the engine) there IS a 12.8V FLOOD available and the problem is probably in your hot start kit or keyswitch

If the starter motor does NOT crank it could be one or more of these:

Starter is defective
      Battery ground terminal is dirty
      Big starter cable is defective

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Before you hurt yourself with a sparky screwdriver...

Wildthings wrote:
You need to read the voltage at the starter when key it turned...

^^This is the best test^^

That battery voltage should drop to about 10-11 volts when the key is switched.

No drop would suggest a failure inn the starting circuit.

A bigger drop is either a dying battery or a short somewhere (which would usually be accompanied by heat and smoke).

Or you could just pull the battery and have any auto parts store do a load test on it.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: So, 1/2 hour later won't start... Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, not sure I will have time before tomorrow to do these and as a backup I have a mobile mechanic coming by Friday to do some tests. From what I've read checking a starter is not that hard, but just in the interests of getting the van running before our trip I will keep my appt. I am wondering if the starter did truly just go kaput.

The battery is a few months new. the ignition was replaced shortly before we bought the van. But there are other things to check as well....

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: