Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Hello all. Hot VW's magazine ran this 1 page tech tip article in Aug 2010. Basically, it evolved around a bone stock 1600 dual port engine that was experiencing elevated cylinder head temps that pegged the 340 degree Auto Meter gauge. Their conclusion was the aftermarket cylinder heads were plugged with casting material and nearly non existent.
My question is has anyone experienced this?
Thanks in advance, Bill.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

just looking at cylinder heads, they almost all need to be cleaned of casting flash all over. The new CB's look really nice
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

How hot did the heads get after opening the holes?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Hi. The article stated that after their repairs the cyl head temp dropped to a maximum of 260 degrees, a decrease of 80 degrees.
Bill
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

It's hard to believe that drilling out gaps between fins alone could make such a difference. Was there something else also done?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
It's hard to believe that drilling out gaps between fins alone could make such a difference. Was there something else also done?

call it 40* a head then....

I have cleaned lots of flash off of heads before I have run them, so I cant say for sure what they could have been before/after but the flash was UGLY...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:

really?

good casting new CB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stock

aftermarket head casting flash needs to be drilled so air gets through

again, one of the many differences between an engine builder and an engine assembler.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

That's why I HATE when a customer gives me an EMPI HEAD

100% blocked. Not even joking.

Useless.

(well you can drill them to make them flow again)

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Go back to my engine build thread "mystery engine" you'll see me shining a light through the fins as well. Stock heads are usually good but sometimes become blocked with dirt and oil and or a careless job of cleaning. Good idea to restate this, it's little things like this that are sometimes overlooked. Very Happy
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
That's why I HATE when a customer gives me an EMPI HEAD

100% blocked. Not even joking.

Useless.

(well you can drill them to make them flow again)

You get what you pay for. So many VW owners are such cheap asses; the junk replacement parts that we have to put up with is because so many people will pick the cheap sh*t (that sort of works) every time instead of the properly engineered out of the right material with proper machining and heat treat. The industry is in a sorry state and we only have ourselves to blame. If we collectively stopped buying crap from Empi (and others) and demanded oem quality (or better) it wouldn't be this way. Yeah, stuff would cost a little more, but you'd only have to buy it once. There's no value in buying something twice (or even 3 times). But so many of you just don't get it...

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

The exhaust of the cooling system is just as important as the intake. If the airspeed is too high around the head because most of the head is plugged up the air does not have enough time to pickup the heat as effectively.

This is common sense folks.

Dan
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

really?

good casting new CB

Just had these in my had today, they were unbelievably clean. The intakes looked smaller then ones on the 044 super mags. Looked like the redesigned intakes allowed for larger air openings. I'm sure they will provide low temps with great performance. The new logo also looks great!

As far as cleaning up casting for better air flow. Seems like that's how it is unless you have the Panchito.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

There sure are some misconceptions of the laws of thermodynamics here on the samba. This is not the first time I've run into odd thinking when it comes to head temperature. But Yes not talking about holes If they drilled holes and got lower head temps then that's real data.
(This head first photo below) I would think would run cooler in the center than the others above:
Why? Because the cold intake manifolds are cast with more direct contact to the rest of the head than the other two above.
Now that being noted! look at the area around the exhaust ports. This is where heads are the hottest so air movement through and around those exhaust ports is really important. And this would make the Panchitos and the Stock heads the winners for perhaps more uniform cooler temperatures. Air moving between the intakes would make little difference. Well it may help a little when coming off the freeway and coming to an idle when there is little evaporative cooling in the intakes. And unless your in a rocket ship or doing Mach 2 or something air moving around the surface is going to cool more the faster it is moving. I would bet that the stock head cools best. longer fins! (At least they look longer to me and maybe follow the curve of the chamber better) but without holding a Panchito 44 I can't be sure. Someone needs go get some data about the Panchito heads and post it. So much depends on how rich or lean the engine is running though it may make fin cooling not as big a factor as the main jetting being a little too lean causing heating.

Below are stock vw 311 heads and I will be happy to post more photos and measure the fins on them if anyone is interested.
More on them here: Are these 311 heads any good?

DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

What are the best tools to use to clean up the flashing? My heads are really ugly.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Are they really that nice out of the box or is that a "beauty" shot?

Because i've never received a Whopper that looks like the picture in their ads.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Glenn-
That's because the food stylist that assembled that Whopper makes 5-10K a day!
Very different than the kid with pimples on his face who makes yours.

They will go through cases of buns, for a "perfect one", then super glue on extra sesame seeds where they're skinny.
A case of tomatoes might yield 5 perfect slices...
Well you get the idea Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Glenn-

They will go through cases of buns, for a "perfect one", then super glue on extra sesame seeds where they're skinny.

Did they do the same with the head?

Just asking.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mondshine wrote:
Glenn-

Did they do the same with the head?

Just asking.

cherry picked maybe, but the 2 I have seen looked like that. Looks like richparker above had his hands on a set and says the same
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

That picture is from an off the shelf Panchito Glenn, they all look just as clean as that one.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's Article Titled "Cooling Solution" Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
That picture is from an off the shelf Panchito Glenn, they all look just as clean as that one.

Awesome.... nice to see QUALITY parts are still available.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: