Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing propane regulator with tank full?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing propane regulator with tank full? Reply with quote

Why beat around the bush? Wink
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing propane regulator with tank full? Reply with quote

AZ_CreamPuff wrote:
Man, thanks Terry. Pipe wrench worked like a charm, and I have a new pipe wrench! I think the majority of my issues came from the fact that I I had to turn clockwise to get it out.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate all the pointers. I'm sure us new vanagon owners/novice mechanics can get on your nerves, but your help has been invaluable. I like your tough love style too!

Funny this old thread.......how gently the OP lets TK slide for either forgetting or withholding the most important detail.

That the regulator fitting is a "left-hand thread".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing propane regulator with tank full? Reply with quote

Talking about left-hand threads...

The other day I was replacing the handle/lever on a toilet and discovered it uses a left-hand thread. What? I’m sure I knew that once in my life but it’s been years since I last installed one. I ended up busting the old one to remove it and only discovered the left-handedness when installing the new one.

Propane tanks and toilets...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing propane regulator with tank full? Reply with quote

Well I installed the MEGR-295 anyway.
The screened vent pointing "down".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm sure I can get it adjusted and then when it craps out (if ever) someone can criticize me for installing the wrong regulator.
Like.... "didn't they have Google back then?"
It seems like MEGR-294 could be the mirror image unit, but it's not available.

But no matter.
The MEGR-295 was only $27
and in-hand
and installed
for the new millenium.

BTW Happy New Year folks!!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
eamanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing propane regulator with tank full? Reply with quote

Resurrecting an older thread but hopefully this will come in handy for the folks out there.

Today I installed the Flame king regulator in my Syncro Westy. It's two stage, it's compact, it cost me only 16 bucks shipped from Amazon. You can get it from Home Depot for 25 bucks if you don't have amazon prime or don't like to give amazon your money.

While at it, I ordered this brass T connection to add BEFORE the regulator. Cost 6 bucks

I then proceeded to add this quick connect to the T to feed my outdoor BBQ and/or propane water heater for my shower. Cost 13 bucks

I used the 1/4 inch NPT nipple from the quick connect kit to replace the POL connection on the regulator and transferred it over to the T to connect to the shut off valve.

The regulator is super compact, identical in size to the original regulator, so if you're looking for a direct replacement and don't want to add the quick connect you have this.

TWO IMPORTANT NOTES: The vent on the regulator is such that you have to install it facing TOWARDS the tank and AWAY from the outside. Lastly, it's a left hand thread on the POL connection.

Happy motoring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: