Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

I was syncing and tuning my Kadron 40/44s on my 65 yesterday and noticed that the top of the air cleaner on the passengers side is rubbing the hood and has worn the metal most of the way through! They are the 6"round aftermarket chrome ones like these:

http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_8801_BROSOL_SOLEX_CARBURETOR_AIR_FILTER_VW_BUG_BUS/462/c157m41

Is there a 6" round filter that I can buy that might fit into the housings a little shorter? I haven't been able to find any searching online, other that real skinny stacks. My goal is to find some that will fit and avoid purchasing new ones that run above $40. My other thought is to cut about an inch off of the filters so they are shorter. Any suggestions?

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

Take your filter into Napa Auto Parts and have them find a shorter one ...I had to do that with another filter .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
Is there a 6" round filter that I can buy that might fit into the housings a little shorter??

I searched everywhere for 2" tall filters that would fit the Kadron air cleaner housings in my Ghia. There are no standard filters from any manufacture in the size I needed. I wound up modifying some standard K&N filters to fit and that worked out pretty well.

BTW, standard Kadron air cleaner housings have an inside diameter of 5.80", not 6.00".

If you can't come up with a suitable replacement filter, you can use a bandsaw to cut the standard Kadron filter down to whatever height you want. Then get some Plasti-Dip (the stuff you dip tools into to form a plastic coating on the handles) and pour it into a suitable tray to a depth of about 1/8". Dip the cut end of the filter into the Plasti-Dip to form a seal similar to the molded rubber ends that come on the filters originally. It might take several dips to build up to a suitable thickness.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

check your motor mounts . ill bet one is bad and your motor is not level . the carbs are the same height . why does one hit and one doesn't is more what I would wonder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
...why does one hit and one doesn't is more what I would wonder

I doubt that the motor mounts are at fault here. The passenger-side carb sits further toward the rear of the engine bay than the driver-side carb and is closer to the engine lid.

To the OP: Kadron air cleaners have mounting holes that are off center, so rotating the housings will move the cleaners back & forth a bit. Have you tired moving them around to see if you can get the clearance you need?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

As a wise man once said--------"hit it with an axe".
But, seriously------I've had to do what rcooled said. Cut down something that is close.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
...why does one hit and one doesn't is more what I would wonder

I doubt that the motor mounts are at fault here. The passenger-side carb sits further toward the rear of the engine bay than the driver-side carb and is closer to the engine lid.

To the OP: Kadron air cleaners have mounting holes that are off center, so rotating the housings will move the cleaners back & forth a bit. Have you tired moving them around to see if you can get the clearance you need?

I would just take a look yes you are right 1 and 2 are closer to the back of the car but the air cleaners should not hit and there must be a reason (bent frame horn) I have seen a lot of cars with the right side of the motor higher than the left
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I will most likely just cut the ones I have and plasti-dip the cut end of them.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kadron air filters too tall. Any short air filters? Reply with quote

When I bought my first set of Kads over 25 years ago for my Ghia, I found a lawn mower air filter foam element that was about 2 1/2" high. Soaked it in oil, squeezed out the excess oil, cut down the wire mesh outer filter guard from the Kads, and installed everything. Fit well. Try a large box hardware store for the filters, or just find online or at a mower repair shop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: