Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

Hi Steve,
I bought the same Genssi led headlights but have not hooked up the halos yet. Just plug n play so far. Did your lights come with individual red and yellow halo wires and where did you make the connections? I was hoping to get the white halo operating with running lights and yellow halo with signals.

Off the top of my head I forget100%. I haven't seen the VW's the beginning Oct.
I'll be back there this Friday and Sat. but doubtful I'll have time to check before I leave again Sun. morning. I'll try!
I installed the dual headlight relay kit as my first mod of the lighting so I had two headlight relays. I might have connected the white wire to the #87 terminal connector for one of the headlight relays. The yellow I think went to the Emergency Flasher Relay so they came on with the flashers.
The DRL goes out when the low beams come on, but comes on again with the high beams?
I have to see it to tell you exactly.
Let us know how you like them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
gampbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I'll be back there this Friday and Sat. but doubtful I'll have time to check before I leave again Sun. morning. I'll try!
I installed the dual headlight relay kit as my first mod of the lighting so I had two headlight relays. I might have connected the white wire to the #87 terminal connector for one of the headlight relays. The yellow I think went to the Emergency Flasher Relay so they came on with the flashers.
The DRL goes out when the low beams come on, but comes on again with the high beams?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to poke around and go through the Bentley to figure out the best way to wire the halos in my case. I like the headlights but for some reason I am getting a flicker with the high beams which I may or may not address. The low beams are so bright, I don't see where I would need the high beams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to poke around and go through the Bentley to figure out the best way to wire the halos in my case. I like the headlights but for some reason I am getting a flicker with the high beams which I may or may not address. The low beams are so bright, I don't see where I would need the high beams.

Let the thread know how you resolve and wire as I'm very interested in these lights as well. One question, I see multiple "brands" of the identical light on Amazon. Are they all the same?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

The low beams are so bright, I don't see where I would need the high beams.

That is one of the things I like about them is when your blinded by the oncoming headlights and cannot see ahead with these you can clearly see the pavement on your side of the road better then I could with Hella H4's and dual headlight relays.
Get the high beam flickering sorted out because they do help too and make sure you aim them properly per the guidelines for LED headlights.(it is not the same as incandescent lights).

gampbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
gampbell wrote:

That is one of the things I like about them is when your blinded by the oncoming headlights and cannot see ahead with these you can clearly see the pavement on your side of the road better then I could with Hella H4's and dual headlight relays.
Get the high beam flickering sorted out because they do help too and make sure you aim them properly per the guidelines for LED headlights.(it is not the same as incandescent lights).

Is there a source for adjusting LED headlights? I wasn't aware that there was a difference. I have been looking for a long flat area and a big wall to aim them on for adjusting. Lots of big walls, but tough finding one with level ground out to 25' around here.

I finished wiring up the halos, see pics. Sure I will catch some flak for my unorthodox wiring methods. The red wire is for the DRL, the yellow gets wired to the turn signal. The lights I bought had the LED driver built into each headlight so there were no other components other than the harness that plugged right in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

Is there a source for adjusting LED headlights? I wasn't aware that there was a difference. I have been looking for a long flat area and a big wall to aim them on for adjusting. Lots of big walls, but tough finding one with level ground out to 25' around here.

JW has a good page on how to do it for adjusting.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to-aim-headlights-high-low-or-low-beam-headlights/

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

I finished wiring up the halos, see pics. Sure I will catch some flak for my unorthodox wiring methods. The red wire is for the DRL, the yellow gets wired to the turn signal. The lights I bought had the LED driver built into each headlight so there were no other components other than the harness that plugged right in.

yeah somebody will give you crap about it! These are a better way to add connections when you want to make it permanent.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=s...+connector
i think I routed my wiring back up behind the dash to the turn signals and DRL power source rather than disturb the connectors at the turn signals. That way it did not give a break or raising of the edges of where the rubber boot seals the wire harness against moisture.
I also dipped the spade connectors in muriatic acid to clean the blackened corrosion in the ends of the wires where they are crimped into the spade connectors. (rinse with water and dry on a hot day.)

Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
gampbell wrote:

Wow, these look great. Very interested in getting a pair of these - can you provide the exact link?

Also, can you confirm you do not need an upgraded headlight relay for these since they draw the same amount of power as the stock ones?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

As long as you are getting 12V or more to the headlight sockets, there is no real need to add relays to safely run these LED headlights. Anyone who already has relays installed can leave them in place with no issues.

The blue piggyback terminals shown in the link a few posts up are definitely a great choice for connecting the halos. If you want to go the extra mile, get the piggybacks with built in heat shrink and internal adhesive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Piggyback-BLUE-3M-Heat-...cPfc0hDSOQ

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
gampbell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Wow, these look great. Very interested in getting a pair of these - can you provide the exact link?

Also, can you confirm you do not need an upgraded headlight relay for these since they draw the same amount of power as the stock ones?[/quote]

Here is the link that I purchased from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MRZSEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also an update, still like them alot!

I ended up adjusting both headlights downward as far as the adjusters would take them. This seemed to really help not blinding people head on or when I roll up behind them. Pattern is pretty good on low beam and now my high beams are useful.

To answer your question about install, everything needed was in the box. No relay, no external driver etc. Just lights and plug n play wiring harness. You have to make the connections yourself for the halos which I have described above however, I recommend not using my method. So far works though Laughing
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

gampbell wrote:

Also, can you confirm you do not need an upgraded headlight relay for these since they draw the same amount of power as the stock ones?

Here is the link that I purchased from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MRZSEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also an update, still like them alot!

I ended up adjusting both headlights downward as far as the adjusters would take them. This seemed to really help not blinding people head on or when I roll up behind them. Pattern is pretty good on low beam and now my high beams are useful.

To answer your question about install, everything needed was in the box. No relay, no external driver etc. Just lights and plug n play wiring harness. You have to make the connections yourself for the halos which I have described above however, I recommend not using my method. So far works though Laughing[/quote]

If your switch,high beam relay, in addition to the fuse panel, ground star at frame, and all the other stuff is in great shape, as new, then no relay is needed. if however your switch or high beam relay are arced , dirty and tired from decades of wesr, you might have a noticble voltage drop at the new led lights. of course all the other suspect connection need be checked too. but it is true that the leds,because of the low current (amps) draw, will generat a much smaller voltage drop than the high current regular light bulbs.

V = I x R (Voltage equals Current times Resistance)

as a current (I) is increased passing thru a given resistance (R), the voltage drop (V) also goes incresses. If the current triples, voltage drop triples, and so forth.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
billybeau124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

I purchased JW Speaker 8630's for the inner lights. There are mods mentioned that are needed for these LED's

"Yes - trimmed off one side of each bucket and riveted a side piece back on with some scrap sheet metal to each one - required to "open " the hole a bit more for the increased diameter. Painted everything matte black, attached the headlight and screwed each assembly to the front frame. The lens will fit into an SA grill opening. It's been almost a year with no issues at all."

- which side of bucket was trimmed? Inside or outside of bucket?
- there seems to be space concern on drivers side light. I have 87 Westy 2WD,
is there a difference on that side of van from my '87 to a newer model or a
synchro?
- How was LED light attached to existing bracket? Old lights have mounts attache to the bulb.

Dinner and a beverage for pictures of modifications!

How do I take cool new LED light and attach to existing bucket after bucket modifications?! thanks
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Here is a short clip showing lighting differences.
Stock Square lamps.
VC High Output lamps.
Trucklight LED lamps
Auxilary LED lamps.

Link

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

This will definitely sound like sour grapes as I have often posted my reservations on LED upgrades in their current development state. However. That is easily the most unscientific bit of video and whether deliberate or not, it uses radically different conditions for the various lighting systems that enormously change how it looks in favor of the LEDs. For instance the opening sequence showing how weak the stocks are appears to be a lonely wet interstate with nothing out there but road lines. Then the LED's footage has rock features next to the road, retina-searing road signs and other features that make it seem like there's a crazy amount of light. Which there is.

I get it. They put out more light than a stock system close up. But it would be nice to see a more unbiased attempt to compare them using video of the same stretch of highway.

Just last weekend, my wife and I drove to Montana on winding back roads the entire way, and we were both marveling at the performance of our stock system. The excellent headlamp relay system available here on Samba, freshly cleaned square headlight buckets, quality bulbs, and a set of big Hella Rallye 3000s. Huge output levels, no crazy light blowback from freeway signs, and no LED's picking up every air particle due to their short/high frequencies. It's relaxing, and if we were to hit rain, snow or dusty roads I would much rather be looking at incandescent versus LED frequencies.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

physast wrote:

As a side note, for us square's, I just installed these and so far love them. I think Van Cafe also sells them.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headl...-fan/2116/

Curious if these worked for high/low beam properly in the outers, and did you also order a set for inners?

I have H4 bulbs and E-Code square headlights, and relays - tempted to go with up-wattage bulbs, or LED - not sure which will be best.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Blinding LEDS go well with Brake Bling

Twisted Evil
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

I just looked at the LED bulb in that link. Its supposed to replace an incandescent bulb that throws light 360 degrees and the vanagons reflectors are designed completely around it. Yet the bulb is a single sided flat emitter. How can it possibly have an acceptable controlled beam pattern? I simply cannot process these things. Any of you young uns buying these take physics?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Videos are a hard medium to convey the difference between LED's and incandescent bulbs. You have to carefully control exposure on the camera and the surroundings.

I suspect most people attempt to make the videos and pictures because they've converted and were amazed at the difference and wanted to share it with others.

I've converted a number of incandescent vehicles to HID reflectors/projectors and LED headlight systems over the years. To me, the difference between a PROPERLY designed LED headlight and an older incandescent system is so large that I have converted all my vehicles and recommend the conversion to others. That doesn't mean putting HID bulbs in incandescent housings. That means using a proper HID projector setup with cutoff, or a similar LED reflector/projector system that was professionally designed.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

Well, I'm really interested in dipping my toe in the LED thing as I just bought a car that has the 7" rounds and this seems to be the highest volume light on the market and the one that has a lot of LED plug in versions.

So, carry on the discussion. I just bought my Dad's old 1984 Porsche 944 and sold the 924 in preparation. It has crazy low miles but the factory clutch hub on those was experimental rubber and it has failed. It also has the original timing belt (eek), and is sitting on the original 33 year old tires. I leave on the 29th to go pick it up and tow it home. I am thinking of annoying all you LED-ers and buying the BEST 7" round LED lamp assembly so I can roundly criticize. Or meekly apologize. I'm having a hard time not ordering the star of the 7" incandescents - the Cibie 7" euros.....

Doug
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have the new Gowesty LED headlights? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

of course the damn led lamps blind other drivers coming at you or behind I hate them. even oem lamps are bad, they shoot a deathray of right light right at other people. damn them! the damn led lamps even if aim right still get you with an i tense beam if the car goes over bumps. they ought to be putlawed, thencops are just not interested in ticketing the sobs that blond folks with these damn led lamps. yes I have an opi ion about them. had dozens of them blind me on a recent road trip! I hate them,

OK then. I think drunks are more problematic than LED headlights. I try to avoid driving after the cocktail hour and closing time which appears to be earlier for some .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: