Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration: 1960 Single Cab
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

We just purchased a 1960 Single Cab ("Henry"). We found it near Los Angeles, CA and trailered it home to Folsom, CA. This is 3 generation project: grandfather, father, & daughter. We have enjoyed reading all of the Single Cab and bus posts on The Samba for the last few years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I grew up learning how to drive on my parents 1971 yellow Bay Window bus. My first car was a 1968 Squareback. We recently restored a 1978 SuperBeetle Convertible. This is our first split window and our most ambitious project.

Henry was pretty clean when we picked him up. It looks like it went through a restoration a few years back and then the process was started again in the last few years. I don't have a lot of information on its history. It was painted with the primer when we picked it up.

Some areas of bondo have cracked.

The interior is clean. It has an after market steering wheel.

And a replacement turn signal switch.

From the M-Plate the exterior color was "Sealing Wax Red." Was the interior also painted the same color to match? The interior now seems to be a shade of white or ivory.

The wiring is a bit messy. It looks like an after market fuse box was used to bypass the old one.

Some repairs were made to the interior floor sheet metal using fiberglass.

The bed sheet metal needs to be replaced along with a few of the rusted cross-members. Overall, the gates are in nice shape. I need to figure out how to replace the "pin" type fastener. I'm not sure what this looks like. All of the hinges now have bolts or screws. One even has an Allen Wrench holding it together.

We think it has a replacement 1600cc motor. It was running when we picked it up, but we haven't had time to start it at home.

Look forward to your comments and good advice to help move this project forward!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

I've had our '60 sc since 1995... paid $350... has been completely redone mechanically... our son in the picture is now 24. He grew up with this sc too... set it up in his trust... he'll have it for a lifetime.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new project. Your truck should be sealing wax red inside and out. The pin for the rear truck gates is called a roll pin.

You have your work cut out for you, but they are great trucks.

Here is picture of Kurt's gorgeous 1959 single cab in sealing wax red. This truck should be your inspiration if you want to restore yours back to stock.

oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Congratulations, looks like a great place to start. I restored a car with my daughter, what great memories.
I decided to leave ours patina'd, so much easier to keep clean. Smile

64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Congrats on the new truck, it looks pretty straight.

Yes, the whole interior should be Sealing Wax Red too.

Dash, floors, etc.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses.

oldthingguy the Single Cab looks great next too Poor Red's! Both are classic! I love the front bumper.

ZENVWDRIVER that's a lot of wood! We have some relatives that live in Muskogee.

ronjonlasvegas thanks for the help with the roll pin. Wow, Kurt's 1959 looks awesome!

EverettB thanks for the tip on the inside paint. And for running this fantastic Samba website!

David
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Looks like a great project. When it was originally painted SWR it would be inside the cab and outside. Grey in the tool bay and underside.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

We decided to start off with an easy project. We removed the old and damaged door panels.

There is nothing to stop the door from opening to wide or closing too easily. I'm guessing we are missing some parts?

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Congratulations on the single cab! It looks like a nice truck. I really like seeing family projects like this, my dad got me into working on vw's when i was 13 (i'm 40 now).

I have a 60' panel bus originally sealing wax red like your truck. My front cab doors are the same way. As far as i know that is how they are. Lots of knowledgeable folks here so i'm sure others will chime in on that.

Keep up the good work and making lifetime memories!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Nope, nothing missing, that is how the doors are until 1964.
1964 models got a check strap to stop the door from opening too far and keep it open at the same time.

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

There is nothing to stop the door from opening to wide or closing too easily. I'm guessing we are missing some parts?

No parts missing, that came in 1964...
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

We bought a replacement reproduction steering wheel. It is black in color and made by Flat 4. Purchased it from CB Performance along with a black horn button with the Wolfsburg logo. The old aftermarket steering wheel was more difficult to remove than I had expected.

After we removed the old steering wheel and mounting bracket there was a long bolt/nut that is welded to the steering shaft. I tried to break the weld by using a chisel and drill with small bit.

Then I finally noticed welds on both sides (on the body) of the long bolt/nut. This isn't coming off without a struggle. It may be easier to replace the steering shaft or replace all of it with a rebuilt steering box. Disappointing.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Would try a Dremil to carefully remove that adapter in pieces off the original steering shaft. Finding good or even rebuildable steering boxes is getting hard, so do try not to FUBAR the one you have up.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Thanks to the helpful advice from Eric&Barb, my dad used a cutting tool and was able to remove the aftermarket steering adapter. We might have to finesse the threads a bit. But, all in all, happy with the result. Fortunately, my dad has a steady hand and is full of guile!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Looks much better! If you can find a thread file for that size or at least a good triangle file to work those threads back into shape.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

I remember seeing your ad on C.L. a while back, looking for a family project. Cool to see things finally come to fruition! There are a lot of us (Type II kids et al) in the Sacto area, if you need to pick someone's brain or come out to local gatherings. Get Henry back on the road!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

2 thumbs up on the effort and its great to see a family getting in on the project.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Does the stamped VIN near the battery match the one on the two tags you show? It is weird that there is no sign in the cab of the Original SWR. Also odd that the m-code plate is bare metal but not the screws. And where is the build plate mounted? The condition of it doesn't match what it is mounted to.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Does the stamped VIN near the battery match the one on the two tags you show? It is weird that there is no sign in the cab of the Original SWR. Also odd that the m-code plate is bare metal but not the screws. And where is the build plate mounted? The condition of it doesn't match what it is mounted to.

SWR here on the inside of the nose?

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 1960 Single Cab ("Henry") Reply with quote

Could be. And it kind of looks like the repainted maybe chipped off on the defroster pipe-

Is this really where a SC M-code plate is usually mounted?-

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: