Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration: 1960 Single Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Your truck looks great! Sure do like the Dove Blue.

Thank you! We are moving forward every weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Great progress you guys really work fast. Stay at it, home stretch.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Take the front two metal brake lines and thread them into a brass T fitting as is used on the rear of all VWs over the decades. Then run a short brake metal line from the T fitting to the dual MC where you have the brake sender poking out the bottom. Put the sender on the hole you have the metal line now.

With that all sorted out you can install the pedal splash pan to keep the hand and foot control linkages a lot cleaner, drier, for less wear. Plus the pedal pan makes the interior a bit quieter and warmer in cooler weather.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Here is an image showing most of the front brake lines piping.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is an image showing most of the front brake lines piping.

Thanks for the tip Eric&Barb! I'm guessing that the sheetmetal cover won't fit with the sensor hanging down like mine is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:

Thank you for the kind words Schwing!
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:
Schwing wrote:

Thank you for the kind words Schwing!

Also enjoying your Single Cab project! You have done some great work!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

Thanks for the tip Eric&Barb! I'm guessing that the sheet metal cover won't fit with the sensor hanging down like mine is?

Yes, the pedal pan that covers up that area can not fit with sender sticking down. Plus even if you cut a hole in the pan for the sender to stick downward like that, you are going to have the wires ripped off the sender by tall grass or snow.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Several months ago, we welded in a new floor in the cab. Unfortunately, the hole for the clutch pedal did not lineup so we used a Dremel to widen it.

Repainted the steering column and parking brake. Also reinstalled the shifter column.

Cleaned up the gas pedal parts and replaced the pedal. Unfortunately, we broke the spring clip. We made a new one and bolted it on. Decided to leave one piece with a bit of Sealing Wax Red!

We had originally painted the treasure chest area with a black rubberized undercoat. Sadly we got primer and blue overspray on it. Decided to roll-on a black enamel oil based paint over the undercoat. It came out pretty good.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

^^^ You may later wish you had used a lighter color. It is already dark under there, a light grey similar to the factory finish makes it much easier to see in there.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:
Last, anyone have a mounting location for a fire extinguisher inside a Single Cab that they like?

Nice work, you guys! Personally, I think mounting an extinguisher just behind the front seat, driver's side is best. Should you ever need it, you'll need to get your hands on it asap. That location keeps it out of the way, but right at hand as soon as you get out of the bus.

Some put it vertical like this, but I like to put it low and horizontal. Can't remember how much room there is there on a bulkhead bus, tho.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ You may later wish you had used a lighter color. It is already dark under there, a light grey similar to the factory finish makes it much easier to see in there.

yep, lighter color makes a big difference.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

cdennisg and mandraks you might be right about the color.

Z thanks for the post about the fire extinguisher.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

This weekend we installed the outside door handles along with the rubber stops.

Installed the driver's side sunvisor. It is pretty cheaply made.

Installed the gate latches on the Single Cab and gates.

Unfortunately, the metal we welded in between the cab and the top of the bed extends too far on both sides and the gates hit. So, the metal needs to be ground down about an inch on each side and 1/4 inch deep.

Installed new brake and clutch pedal rubber.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I noticed this on your latest photo so...
davidmelton wrote:
Several months ago, we welded in a new floor in the cab. Unfortunately, the hole for the clutch pedal did not lineup so we used a Dremel to widen it.

Weird, I wonder why that happened.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I have a similar issue, my clutch pedal is rubbing a little on the down stroke. I have it extremely tight, but it still scrapes. I'm hoping I can adjust it a smidge when I go to lube my clutch cable. If not, I'll be taking a dermal to mine too...
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I have a similar issue, my clutch pedal is rubbing a little on the down stroke. I have it extremely tight, but it still scrapes. I'm hoping I can adjust it a smidge when I go to lube my clutch cable. If not, I'll be taking a dermal to mine too...

Not sure what you mean by "extremely tight", but are you pushing straight down on the pedal. Have a friend who often pushes sideways a bit, flexing the pedal shaft over enough to rub.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Everett, I think we didn’t line up the new floor panel correctly when we welded it in.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Sanded and cleaned up the engine compartment. We decided to repaint it with black rubberized undercoat made by Evercoat. It came out looking pretty good, although I did manage to get a very small amount of it on the new blue paint. Hopefully, we will be able wet sand it off.

Installed the new turn signals, headlights, and front bumper. Working on mounting the front emblem.

Intalled the rear-tail lights.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "extremely tight", but are you pushing straight down on the pedal. Have a friend who often pushes sideways a bit, flexing the pedal shaft over enough to rub.

I mean the Nut and bolt that hold the pedal to the lower lever are extremely tight. Probably north of 50ftlb. And my rubbing is actually at the front, not side to side action.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: