Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration: 1960 Single Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

We did figure out that the butterfly valve on the choke was sticking. We took it off and cleaned and polished the edges. Now it doesn’t stick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And of course I stripped the head on one of the screws. Fortunately it drilled out nicely. And replaced both screws.

Those screws must be peened and/or loctite-ed. You do not want them to fall out and go through your engine at speed.

Also, whatever combo of wire and hose that is on the left side of the carb, get rid of it and install a proper vacuum plug. Just like the black one sticking out the rear of the carb.

Remember Front is Front.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

You will need the tube thru the fan shroud and the front tin. Can use the early one you had in there without the spring and its collar, or use the later design. Supposed to be a rubber grommet in the front tin to grip the throttle tube from getting cut on the front tin edge, and grip the tube to keep it from sliding backward to jamb the carb linkage. Can use a fender washer and small hose clamp instead of the grommet on the tube in front of the fan shroud to keep the tube from sliding rearward.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

We took the advice of cdennisg and loctited the butterfly valve screws.

Also replaced the funky looking plastic tube with the pop-rivet with the appropriate plug. Funny, it was on the original carb that came with the SC.

While working on the butteryfly valve, I took the carburetor off, but kept the fuel hose connected. Essentially, the carb went on its side. Put it back together and on the test drive, the motor kept coming to a sputtering halt. It was like we were out of gas.

We pulled the carb back off and there was some junk in the bottom of the bowl. We think turning it sideways clogged one of the jets. We took everything apart and cleaned the carb and jets. Replaced the fuel filter which also had some junk inside. Put everything back together and it runs great. We have all new fuel lines and what I thought was a new tank. I may need to pull the tank out and make sure it is clean.

Adjusted the back drum brakes.

We are going to take Eric&Barb’s advice and install the accelerator cable tube through the shroud. However, this may be easier to do with the engine out of the SC. We will put it on the “to do” list.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I was enjoying a Sunday morning drive until I wasn’t. Henry had been running great. Cool wind (no CA Forrest fire smoke) running through my hair (or what is left). About a mile from my home, the SC stalled and would not restart. Thanks to the kindness of strangers, we pushed it into a nearby by park parking lot.

Everything seemed okay in the engine compartment. I took off the air cleaner, but all else looked fine. About 15 minutes later, it started right up and I was able to make it home. I pulled the carburetor back off and was convinced there was more junk inside. The inside appeared clean, but this time I removed every possible needle, jet, and bolt and cleaned everything thoroughly.

Next, I decided to pull and inspect the on/off/reserve valve and fuel tank. Both had some sediment and other junk inside. If this is making it past the in-line fuel filer, it can’t be good.

The valve:

Fill tube:

It looks like something is peeling from the filler neck and inside the tank.

There is also one last 2-foot section of metal gas line that I had not replaced that may also be rusty inside. I will replace it.

This not running so good and having to trailer, rope tow, or push the VW is starting to kill my awesome vibe when driving the Single Cab. I need to get it running better. I’m hoping I can clean up the tank rather than spend $180 to replace it. On the other hand, I am contemplating the purchase a rebuilt German carb. However, I realize it is not EMPI’s fault if I’m running sediment it, but it has had other issues such as the choke butterfly valve sticking along the edges. Anyone disagree with this approach?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Clean the tank. Get a German carb. All too often original parts from Germany are much better quality, and so better to clean up, rebuild, and repair such.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Agree with the above.

It's possible your fuel pump might have crap in it now too and I don't know if that one can be cleaned out at all.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

^^^ What they said. Aftermarket parts are generally crap.
djkkmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Wonder if someone had previously sloshed the tank and it is now flaking off?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

This looks like the aforementioned fuel tank sealer applied without proper metal prep. Those peeling chunks will definitely cause issues.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
davidmelton wrote:

This looks like the aforementioned fuel tank sealer applied without proper metal prep. Those peeling chunks will definitely cause issues.

X2. Sloshing tanks is time-consuming, aka prone to short-cuts.

I am running a very nicely rebuilt Solex carb. Very well-worth the money.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

After cleaning the old gas tank I was worried more of the inside coating would eventually flake. I decided to replace the tank.

I also replaced the reserve valve with a simple tap. I will try to clean-up and rebuild the old reserve valve and eventually use it.

I replaced the rest of the fuel lines and moved the fuel filter up higher (but still out of the engine compartment).

I replaced the fuel pump.

I replaced the EMPI carb with a German Solex rebuilt by VolkzBitz.

I ran out of time on Sunday night and will try to start the SC next weekend.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I should have said that my carb came from Volksbitz...you’ll be happy.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

The Volkzbitz carb i put on my Crewcab was a game changer. It ran amazing right out of the box
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Thanks Z and norcalmike! The Volkzbitz carb looks great and just feels better than the EMPI carb. And Tim at Volkzbitz was great to work with.
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

After installing a new gas tank, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, and sweet rebuilt carb from VolkzBitz the SC would not start. Fuel was coming out of the fuel pump. No fuel in the carb bowl. The needle valve was sticking shut. We replaced it and it fired up. It is running good so far!

And hopefully no more of worrying about this! :0

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I'm still having issues with my 1961 SC, here's the contortions I've gone through:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687468&highlight=single+cab

seems to be a gravity feed issue of some sort.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

The Single Cab has been running great since the gas tank replacement (and every other part that deals with gas).

We added another plate under the passenger side lower door hinge. This raises up the door and makes it easier to shut.

Drove the VW to work. Someone asked me if I cut apart a bus to make a truck. :0

Using the VW to deliver donations.

Cars & Coffee at the Palladio in Folsom, CA.

It may be time to start looking for the next project!
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

Been asked the same thing many times in my DC...I "wow'd" people with my exceptional metal working skills, since it looked factory...I explained it was the first few times but stopped when they knew more about VWs than I and said it wasn't hahaha (they had never seen or heard of a VW truck).

Glad it's treating y'all well and hitting the road!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
davidmelton wrote:

Been asked the same thing many times in my DC...I "wow'd" people with my exceptional metal working skills, since it looked factory...I explained it was the first few times but stopped when they knew more about VWs than I and said it wasn't hahaha (they had never seen or heard of a VW truck).

Glad it's treating y'all well and hitting the road!

probably due to the famous "chicken tax" from 1964:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Truck looks great!!! Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 21

Jump to: