Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration: 1960 Single Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon, Brian & Mandraks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

[quote="62DoKaGuy"]
davidmelton wrote:
Been asked the same thing many times in my DC...I "wow'd" people with my exceptional metal working skills, since it looked factory...I explained it was the first few times but stopped when they knew more about VWs than I and said it wasn't hahaha (they had never seen or heard of a VW truck).

Yep, plenty of "experts" around me have said they would never have bought a bus hacked into a truck...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

We welded some tabs to the driver’s side SACO disc brakes outside pad. We previously did this to the passenger side and it stopped the obnoxious “clicking” sound at slow speeds. I know there is some controversy over the design and quality of these brakes. However, the brakes seem to work well and the bus stops so much better than before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Purchased some early hardboard sun visors from a Samba member. I’m starting to clean them up. I was surprised that they were VW branded.

Soaking the pivot points in diesel. This worked well with the gate latches in freeing up the rust and gunk. I’m thinking about having the visor material replaced with 3D printed plastic or real wood. The original material is warped and the finish is missing in some spots which didn’t look good when I spray painted one of them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:
We welded some tabs to the driver’s side SACO disc brakes outside pad. We previously did this to the passenger side and it stopped the obnoxious “clicking” sound at slow speeds. I know there is some controversy over the design and quality of these brakes. However, the brakes seem to work well and the bus stops so much better than before.

I've read the same in the front disc brake conversion thread about the clicking, but I honestly haven't had that problem. I wonder if it's a production hit or miss, no pun intended haha.

Are there any local events that you're planning on attending? The only social media I'm on is TheSamba, so I'm in the dark about every get-together unless someone calls or texts me haha. I've probably missed other meets that you've been to, with the exception of Bugorama (and I didn't leave me swap space but once for fear of buying more stuff).

Keep up the work!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
djkkmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

How thick are the cards? Maybe cut new ones from similar thickness aluminum. Would last forever, never warp and would be easy to paint.
djkkmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I might have some .100 aluminum laying around the garage!
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I decided to replace the old hard sunvisors with wood. I used Mahogany. I used the old visor as a template and cut the Mahogany with a band saw. It required a lot of filing/sanding to get it to fit back inside the frame. I clear coated the wood and both have slightly different colors and textures. I attached with stainless steel screws and acorn nuts instead of rivets. The project came out nice. I like the look much better than the vinyl sunvisors.

Next, purchased some “bridge wear plates” to put behind the SACO disc brake pads to see if I can stop the chattering. I saw this on a disc brake post on The Samba. We previously welded tabs on the pads and the passenger side quieted, but the driver’s side still makes a noise. Hopefully, this fixes it.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I'm all about original but I really like these visors Cool

davidmelton wrote:
I decided to replace the old hard sunvisors with wood. I used Mahogany. I used the old visor as a template and cut the Mahogany with a band saw. It required a lot of filing/sanding to get it to fit back inside the frame. I clear coated the wood and both have slightly different colors and textures. I attached with stainless steel screws and acorn nuts instead of rivets. The project came out nice. I like the look much better than the vinyl sunvisors.

Next, purchased some “bridge wear plates” to put behind the SACO disc brake pads to see if I can stop the chattering. I saw this on a disc brake post on The Samba. We previously welded tabs on the pads and the passenger side quieted, but the driver’s side still makes a noise. Hopefully, this fixes it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

those visors look great in wood.

I love the pre 59 beetle ones that are see through. Always thought that would be cool on the bus, especially for taller drivers.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Wow. Sunvisors look great with the wood. Nice touch for a beautiful single cab.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

davidmelton wrote:

Nice work. I have thought of doing something similar, but this is the first time I have seen what they may look like in a finished state.

Wonder what some other wood species would look like up there?
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

I just read through your entire thread ! Very motivating !

Awesome work
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Love those visors, I was thinking about making something similar for my 66 bug
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

vwuberalles, mtnbus, cdennisg, silkvw, mandraks, & LAGrunthaner: Thank you for the kind posts about the sun visors and Single Cab! It is appreciated!
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

A buddy of mine gave me this pumpkin as a gift. He carved it using a photo from the Internet and a Dremel

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
those visors look great in wood.

I love the pre 59 beetle ones that are see through. Always thought that would be cool on the bus, especially for taller drivers.

I did that on my first DC-

I’m 6’3” so they weren’t necessary. But my wife used them all the time.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Finally installed the sunvisors.

davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

The Single Cab came with a stock 1974 dual port bug motor. We had been debating for several months about whether or not to split the case and rebuild it ourselves. The old engine had low compression and some oil leaks from the case. It also had been running hot which may or may not be related to the old motor. In the end, we decided to purchase a rebuilt stock longblock. Ultimately, it would cost more, but less than a turnkey rebuilt complete engine, and we could re-use all of the old motor components that we had already replaced (Volkzbitz rebuilt carb, fuel pump, exhaust, electronic ignition, generator, engine tin, etc.). The plan also fit better into my mechanical skill set.

So, this weekend we drove from Folsom, CA to Blodgett’s VW in San Bernardino, CA to pick up a rebuilt dual port 1600 stock longblock. It was a long drive, but the motor was a good price. We mixed the pick-up with a family event in Chino, CA. Blogett’s had good reviews on The Samba and other websites. We also contacted someone on The Samba that had purchased a longblock motor and had good things to say about Blogett’s.

Shop owner Stacey Blodgett answered the millions of questions I had by email and at the shop. Mike helped me load it into my Toyota. Turns out he was the guy who built the motor. He also answered another million questions. Both Stacey and Mike were great and patient. The shop pre-ran the motor and adjusted the valves. Hopefully over the Thanksgiving break we will pull the old motor and start moving over components to the new motor.

davidmelton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

Today, we pulled the old stock 1600 dual port motor from the Single Cab. We hope that the old motor has all of the sheet metal tin and other parts. We noticed that the thermostat was missing. We will start moving parts over to the new engine on Thanksgiving weekend.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration: 1960 Single Cab Reply with quote

What a fantastic thread. So nice to see a thread started and almost finished. Your single cab really turned out great.

One thing that stuck out to me on your motor is the 009 (mechanical only) distributor matched to Tim's restored 34-3 carb. I don't know if you're experiencing any off idle hesitations or flat spots. I think you'd really like a restored German Bosch SVDA distributor vs. the 009. Better mileage, zero flat spots and fantastic driveability.

Again, great thread and look forward to your updates.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 21

Jump to: