Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

This item needs its own thread. it seems easier than the GW item (which has its own thread), and is of course cheaper.

Has anyone tried it?? Question

CampWesty wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know there is another solution to this that's roughly $100 cheaper and it's easier to install. It's a "plug n' play" setup. Zero modifications are needed; kits come fully assembled. You literally swap out the blue foil with the new kit, that's it.

Cluster Master from South Africa has been making kits for a few years now, and I'm now importing them here to the USA on a regular basis, sold through www.vanagon.org.

Here's the product link: http://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit/

Here's the instructions: http://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-foil-repair/

docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I bought one months ago from Eric, I think I was one of the first kits he sold. Before that I was talking direct with the supplier in SA. That being said.... I've been so busy with other things I haven't installed it yet. I'm planning on doing it within the next week or so, I'll post on here and let everyone know how it goes. All the talk I've heard is that it's a good kit though. And Eric has been top notch to deal with. I sure he's waiting for me to finish this install and post some feedback though.... Wink
thunderstick12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I installed this a couple months ago. Install was straight forward. I haven't driven the van much since as I'm in the process of getting it painted, amongst other things. All gauges work as they should. Steve
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

any pics of how it connects to the 14 Pin Flat Connector?
thunderstick12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Not at this time. Vans in for paint. basically slides together like the original but uses a zip tie to keep it together. If I remember, when the van gets back, I'll post a couple pics.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

To be honest, I’ve been burned so many times by GWs aftermarket engineered products that I will not buy them.
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I bought one and it's so simple to install. For me I had picked up at Tach the fuel and temp gauge and installed it into my lower grade unit with the big clock. It was as simple as just pluging the wires into the corresponding places as per instructions. Everything worked as it should when I was done....so glad to get rid of the flickering lights.
It just slides into the connector and is held in place with a zip tie, again couldn't be easier. Check Erics web site for the instructions its all there with great pics showing step by step. Just as an added would buy from Eric again if my next van needs one (or should I say when)
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
OhBetty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I will also throw my endorsement into the hat on this one...

I just installed it on my '87 westy and am very pleased with the outcome. Installation was remarkably easy and instructions were very thorough...

Perhaps my favorite aspect are the LED lights that are hardwired in. The white plastic braces for my previous LED lights were brittle and breaking and did not always make good contact between the bulb and blue foil.

I can also rest assured that the 17-pin connector in the back has a good connection that won't haunt me anytime soon.

Two thumbs up for this product so far!!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

are the LEDs warm white, or a bright, cool white color?
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

The kit works PERFECT, I would recommend it if your old foil is junk.
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
are the LEDs warm white, or a bright, cool white color?

cool white and bright, thats my only complaint. Even dimmed down with my white gauge faces it get overpowering after awhile.

The kit itself is super simple and easy to install the longest part is removing the old foil.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Just installed one myself last month. Works well and I'm happy overall. Driving in the dark is fun again!

One critique is the pin connection, IMO. It is secure with the zip tie, but I still had to wiggle it a couple times to make sure the clock was getting a good connection. It would be nice to be able to secure the unit to the cluster in some way too.

Like others said, lighting is bright, not warm. My dimmer switch doesn't seem to work like the original, but maybe this is the LED bulbs. Not sure
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I'd like a kit that allows me to replace the connectors and foil, but keep the warm, old-timey, period-correct glow of the bulbs...
Dymaxion2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've just installed the Cluster Master kit in a friends van and want to flag an installation issue that held me up for several hours debugging the oil warning system. The install went fine, minimal effort, good instructions. The kit was installed to get instrument lights working, everything else was working fine prior.

After installation the lights were back, and great!! Much crisper white light, I know others don't like the brightness but I love it. BUT the oil warning circuit was messed up. No blinking LED on key on, and then buzzer and blinking once above say 2600RPM. Hmmmm...

Went through the oil circuit wiring end to end, verified oil sender functions for hi/lo and all good but still not working at the dash properly. Great product support from Eric and from makers in SA. No luck. More debugging.....

The problem was that the 14 pin connection back into the chassis harness is done with a printed circuit board, PCB. The PCB with the 14 connectors is NOT a snug fit into the chassis harness. The kit comes with a couple of tiewraps to hold the ClusterMaster module into the chassis harness. While this holds the two pieces together it doesn't make for a good electrical connection since the PCB is too thin the press tightly/reliably against the 14 pins. I had partial connection working, coolant warning, dash LEDs etc, but no oil warning.

The amount of debug time exceeded the time spent on the actual installation, not a good thing. The solution to this problem is trivial, I put two layers of electrical tape on the backside of the PCB to thicken it up. Voila problem fixed. The PCB now slid in with a snug fit, the oil system worked perfectly, all good. I still used the tiewraps to secure their heavy circuit lump into the chassis harness. Discussion afterwards with Eric when I pointed out what is a manufacturing defect, inadequate thickness of the SA units connection into the chassis harness, only got the response that it wasn't really an issue as I was the first person to report such an issue. Hmmmm... product feedback not welcome unless positive? Someone had to be first. Bottom line, unit works great, cheaper than another offering and dead easy install, go for it. But add a couple of layers of tape before you clip it together.

One thing to wonder about is the long term outcome. There is a heavy lump of circuits/case whatever dangling by a bunch of thin wires with soldered connections. I'm wondering how well this will stand up after bouncing around inside your instrument housing for a few years. Particularly for Syncro owners. Another small shortcoming is that the voltage regulator is now soldered in place, not simply removable by taking out one screw and sliding the new regulator in. Cheers, Tim
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

$160, foiled again!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, install was easy with great online instructions. I only wish the lighting used the standard light socits, as I have the red leds that I would like to try. Nice call on the tape, nice simple fix.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Dymax - what MY Van?
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

I can't believe this seemingly small disagreement has spilled over into a public forum, but Tim has forced my hand to reply. It's safe to say him and I disagree on some things, and I can live with most things he said except for this:

Dymaxion2004 wrote:
Discussion afterwards with Eric when I pointed out what is a manufacturing defect, inadequate thickness of the SA units connection into the chassis harness, only got the response that it wasn't really an issue as I was the first person to report such an issue. Hmmmm... product feedback not welcome unless positive?

I'm sorry Tim, this is baloney and you know it. I've already said privately, and now forced to say it publicly as you're trying to insinuate otherwise, your feedback has not been ignored; no one's has. Good or bad we listen to it all. I don't know why you keep saying this? It's simply not true. Why on earth would we not want to make our product even better than it already is?! And yes, contrary to what you seem to believe, you were indeed the first one to notify us of a problem like this, especially of this magnitude. (I'll spare everyone the details of why we ended up where we did in the first place.)

To my knowledge Cluster Master is exploring a thicker board (your suggestion!) and are looking into improving the dimmer capabilities as Slimvest mentioned above. Certainly lots of testing will need to be done on Cluster Master's side before a major change would be implemented, though. They have been selling these kits for years in South Africa with practically zero issues. Nothing will ever be perfect, but the bottom line is these kits are easily installed for the vast majority of people, and you save a solid $100 at the same time.

If anyone runs into any issues please email me at [email protected]. I will help as best I can.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
Dymaxion2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

"For what it's worth, now that we know the outcome, Cluster Master recommends removing the tape and and tensioning the pins in the connector." end quote

When I install a new product I expect it to work, first time, out of the box. I don't expect to have to tweak an existing and previously functioning connector to get the new product working 100%. Reliability is an absolute must, especially around the oil warning circuit. Since this thread asked for input regarding this product, now you have mine. Great product, once you add tape!
Dark Alley Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Foil Replacement Kit for $160 - Anyone Tried It? Reply with quote

Bought one, had an issue. Communications w/Eric were immediate, polite, and gracious. We had a solution within an hour, and we live thousands of miles apart.

I'd not only do business with the man again, I'd let him stay at my house if he's ever up here. Eric's a top-flight guy. Buy with confidence. Smile

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: