Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Yep, looking for info on CB's post 2000 Street Eliminator Heads, and yea there is a differernce between the pre 2000 A.D. Street Eliminator Heads and Post 2000 A.D. Street Eliminator Heads....

Looking for CHT Info plus other, or who ever gots what or looking to find out type info...

I run them, have had good luck, people say stuff but what are people finding out for they run them?

Hope people chime in for fun, just info on a big valve head, mine are 42 mm X 37.5 mm Valve Heads... RB
kevkevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Years ago we bought an ill running 1835 with a single carb and these heads.
These were the reason we bought the engine. We put on duell 45 dellortos and bolted on a better exhaust. Way better power! Took it to the dyno and made 99 whp.
After 2 years took the engine apart and it turned out to be a low compression 2110 running a w120 cam Very Happy

Now running high compression, fk 87, 48 idfs and same heads but fully ported!
Yet to go on the dyno.

I would not buy these heads new but they served me great so far.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Well here goes my story of my build and engine I am running in a Retro German Looker as I call it for I am running a Topline Kit w/Front and Rear Disk...

I picked up a 2276 with the Street Eliminator Heads and that was a selling point for me, picked it up for $1,200.... Thing is I had already put on the Topline Kit and needed and engine for where I lived for the mountanious roads were killing my stocker 1,600cc w/Kads....

Thing is this, I went ahead and had an engine builder that is has a good rep pull it down, the 2276 and we found out why there was a good price on it.. It has ran with a jet in it and killed a piston/cylinder for the cylinder wall was all scrapped up plus that head a little but there was no loss in material.. Mind you this is a complete engine and had Weber 44 on it...

So, had the builder to rebuild it as a 2180 for we both agreed that thick wall 92's would be best for a street engine, also, we dialed it in as a 87 octane runner for out on the roads you can't trust all your gas suppliers, but still I run 91/93 octane...

So, sold the 44 IDF's I had that came with the engine and got some 40 DRLA's for they have an awesome rep for street engines... So got them and been dialing them in ever since...

So in all I am running with the Street Elimantaors an Engle 120 Cam, 1 to 1 Ratio Rockers for that is what I had, new 92's Thick Wall Pistons/Cylenders and a new Exaust for it came with out one...

All I know is that the engine runs great, I run a CHT Gauage and during normal running I see 325-335*F degrees. Oil runs typical and oil pressure runs perfect as gauges indicate.

All I know is that my mild build 2180 with an Bosch 010, oh, it did come with an 009, which I ditched, ignition works very well...

Thing is this, I did cheap out and get a $1,200 engine and had rebuilt, case checked out fine, flywheel needed to be replaced for it has some teeth missing on the starter side, but popped on a new flywheel with clutch and pressure plate.... Still have the old if anyone wants them, but sure there fine, but in doing up an engine for my Super I figured new would be good to get the mileage out of..

Thing is this, if you get on it she will motor, but CHT's temps will go up, but be your butt you will be flying..., As a cruiser like race mode, the CHT's really never get over 335*F.

So yea, you can get a used engine and have it gone through and save a few bucks, at times you just have to get lucky and be willing to throw out a few bucks if need be, but at the price some items costs, you just have to play craps at the table to see what you end up with... RB
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
So yea, you can get a used engine and have it gone through and save a few bucks, at times you just have to get lucky and be willing to throw out a few bucks if need be, but at the price some items costs, you just have to play craps at the table to see what you end up with... RB

Absolutely true... Sounds like you did well. We didn't do quite as well...

The engine we got with our Ghia was advertised as having Street Eliminators. (It was the previous owner's odd idea of an engine, from the 1990's but put into storage immediately after building, until we bought it as part of the car: 1776 with the Street Eliminators, an Engle 130 cam & Weber 44's. Obviously meant for high-revving applications... It never had any trouble accelerating, or climbing any hill we tried to drive it on. But not much good for driving on the street.

After messing with it four a couple of years, we had the engine re-cammed & rebuilt. (It's now a much-better-balanced 1968 - it can still rev high, but has good power over a much wider range of rpm's.) Our builder tried to call CB about the heads. His description made CB skeptical about whether it was really their product. Apparently there were some knock-offs around, at the time?

Anyway, we have DRD heads now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Bugpack also made a street eliminator head.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Interesting RacerDave...

On my phone call to CB on there Street Eliminator Heads we spoke of when they were made and metalurgy...

What they said is that pre-2000 A.D. that they had a different metalurgy make up and they were prone to heat, then they corrected that issue by having a more resilent metalurgy make-up in the metal that made then less prone to heat. That was there big contribution to the heads, they can take more heat after 2000 A.D.

So, there are some particular molding signs to pre and post 2000 A.D. signs of which heads are which but that illudes me right now on what gives them away to what Era that the heads fall under when it comes to what years they are made, but the metalurgy is a pure sign on which heads are best for the street for they can take more ponding(CHT's) on the street than just the drag strip(CHT's)....RB
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

I've got Street Eliminator heads on my 915 in a Berrien Venture sand rail that I run on the street most of the time. No issues with the overheating that a lot of people say is inherent with these heads. Running duel 44 IDF's, 009 dizzy w/pertronics & w120 cam & 1 5/8 4in1 U bend exhaust. Only problem I have had so far is last spring had to have the guides touched up because #2 exhaust stuck the valve. Can't wait to get to Silver Lake this year with it(that is if summer ever gets here) .We've had about three days of spring followed by a week of snow & winter conditions so far this spring here in West Michigan. Sad
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Wouldn’t a set of these heads be ideal for someone running E85 fuel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Years ago a customer of mine ran a 2180 with pre 2000 E 2000 heads w. 44 x 38 valves, 10ish CR and a FK89 cam w. Autocraft 1,25 rockers and 48 mm TB´s and fuel injection. It was cooled by a Porsche Fan set up w. front mounted oil cooler. In a Ghia there were never really much temperature issue unless it was pushed on the Autobahn for longer periods. The owner liked to harass BMW´s and the car was indeed quite fast. 130 mph was a walk in the park for it.
About 10 years later I got the heads in conjunction with a rebuild and detune for another fellow. Been on my shelf since. BUT, they are in fact getting rebuilt and detailed this spring/summer to go on a 2275 also with a Porsche fan set up. This time I will thermal coat the chambers and set them up for around 180 street hp.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

thermal coat the inside of the ex ports too!!! as well as valve heads if you don't already do it. I also do the seats and lightly tuch up the vj afterwards...although the manufacture says you don't have to redo the vj..
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Hello and yes have something to add.

After a question came to me via PM, the high head temp CB said to me on the Eliminators is 350 degrees sustainable is out of the question if you like the heads to last street wise. Also, the question into CB when I did contact them was only on the Street Eliminator Heads....

I have had mine at 400 degrees for a spike after getting on it throttle wise once, but now know I should not being doing that move.... But was rolling for sure. RB
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up an old thread but is there any way to positively identify if my heads are truly Street Eliminators or the Bugpak version. There is no CB logo on the rocker housing as I have seen in pics of the SE heads fro CB. Does anyone know if the logo cast into the rocker box was a post 2000 thing or it it has always been on the SE heads? From what I can gather from the PO my engine was built around 2010 so I guess it is conceivable that they could be pre 2000. My cyl head temps are running in the same 325-335 range in a cruise & haven’t seen any indication of extreme temps on the street.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

I found an unused set with a receipt dated 1998 from CB, ported and polished.

I put them on a 2275 with an FK 87 cam, factory type 1 dog house cooler/ fan and pushed the compression up 12 :1 ( not running straight pump gas)
It’s in an open rail frame that sees mostly real hard long hill climbs on very loose coal hills. This engine never seems to stop pulling I have to take my foot off the pedal as it seems like it’s just going to rev right past 8,000 in the lower gear climbs.
Honestly don’t know what temps the heads are reaching but it never seems to get too hot and it just fires back up without issue after sitting long enough to get a soda from the cooler. It doesn’t seem to run hot on the few trail rides I took it on but the air temp those days was very mild 55 to 65 degrees.
I am planning to install more gauges besides the oil pressure and tach in the spring and cyl Head temp is on the list.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Bugpack also made a street eliminator head.

So did GME
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

So back to my question, how does one tell if
I have actual Street Eliminator heads or a Bugpak copy. I'm going by what my long time VW parts guy told me & he should know. They have the oval ports & 6 fins but beyond that no markings or logos to go on.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Not sure if all were marked the same as mine or even if they were just stamped by the previous owner. But mine had a CB stamped inside the rocker area with what seemed to be some sort of numer stamped under it.
I found mine in a pile of parts that I purchased and they had the receipt in the box with them and were clearly never used.

I don’t think they had the raised logo on them like they do on the 044 heads but I was just a thought in my parents head back then so who knows?

What I mean by stamped in is like the 2 you see in the pic of these heads between the intake ports But it seemed bigger on the Eliminator heads.
Did you ask CB if there was a way to identify them?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

I just looked at them on CB’s web site and they appear to have numbers stamped in them when I enlarge the picture.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

The GME's were stamped in the rocker area. Not showin the pic.. but from memory. These were made in Japan btw. Had these on a turbo motor.

Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

The fins on abouve the exhaust on those GME pictured are different than the Eliminators I have. They also differ from what is shown on CB’s web site.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Runs CB's Street Eliminator Heads? Fun Thread... Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
The fins on abouve the exhaust on those GME pictured are different than the Eliminators I have. They also differ from what is shown on CB’s web site.

yeah, I think the GME's were the only ones that had the cross fins.. not that it matters. At least you can rule them out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: