Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Wind noise is always comes up when discussing cabin noise in the van.

I had a theory that a rounded proboscis could reduce that noise.

I built a "proof of concept" apparatus to test my theory.

I was correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certainly hard on the eyes, and may seem slightly unscientific, but absolutely unquestionable results;

Without apparatus wind noise become discernible at 32-34mph and rises significantly with increase in speed.

WITH apparatus wind noise becomes discernible at 45-48mph.

Noise level is approximately 1/3 the amount present without the apparatus.

Also, I might be imaging this but I would swear the van took less power to maintain speed and seemed to coast further.

I was not surprised my theory was proven correct, I WAS surprised by the extreme difference.
I am now designing a permanent, removable apparatus for my application.

FYI this one is made of a satellite dish, pvc boards,duct tape and fiberglass resin over fleece, held on with a strap and bungee cord.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Wow...just, wow.

Kit available...??? Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

this will work well when the Tesla upgrade kit becomes available

until then, you'll want to find a wrecked BMW for the LED headlights to be faired in, and set an air scoop underneath to feed the radiator
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

Certainly hard on the eyes...

Call it The Hannibal...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Hello , clarice....

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhppppppp
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

I clicked out of curiosity. It's a grab bag in most cases. My thoughts: If you round it off enough and make it more aerodynamic, you might end up with a Eurovan.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

give another try, without the probiscus or what ever it's called, but properly seal up all the vent holes, everything on the front, except the radiator, and try that, on mrs rubbachickens carat, air noise is directly relate to the front vents, i played about taping bits off, and we cut down some of the noise, we don't have a db meter to know for sure.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

I love science! Time to get the db meter.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
give another try, without the probiscus or what ever it's called, but properly seal up all the vent holes, everything on the front, except the radiator, and try that, on mrs rubbachickens carat, air noise is directly relate to the front vents, i played about taping bits off, and we cut down some of the noise, we don't have a db meter to know for sure.

Are you referring to hhe fresh air vent alone, or are ther other vents to tape off? I've taped off the fresh air vent and noticed some reduction in noise but I have more duct tape if there are more vents to tape up.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Is the taped together aluminum on the ground in your second photo proboscis prototype version 1? lol

Blocking up the vents might reduce the noise but your Subaru engine isn't gong to like it if you run for too long with the radiator air flow blocked off.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

I bet a lot of"noise" is created by the front windshield seal and the vertical rain gutter.
Early Jettas had an aftermarket foil that mounted on the rain gutter, did wonders.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Your Vanagons are noisy. I can hear you in my tomb like EV..

( suit on)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
...your Subaru engine isn't gong to like it if you run for too long with the radiator air flow blocked off.

The radiator is gone -- moved to the rear of the engine bay as I recall.

This is not your father's Vanagon.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

I don't have the stock vanagon fresh air intake. Everything on the front was already sealed, fat matted and covered in EZ -cool, bedlined, even added some Soundown, new carpet and floor mats, good door and window seals.

I had also already sealed off the lower grill opening with aluminium and the upper behind the grill with coroplast.

The entire under- nose area is panelled with Aluma-corr.

All of that made a difference, like maybe 1/3 or 1/4 quieter overall, but trivial in comparison to this.

My radiator does not live there. I don't need cooling intake.

My Subaru engine has run thousands of miles with rear and now mid radiator that "will never work"

I would've used my iPhone Db meter if the difference wasn't dramatically different but it was.

I have tried rain gutter foils in the past but results were inconclusive.

This new development might merit a revisit of that area as well as door leading edge.

The duct straps on the ground are the first attempt at the prototype.
They were replaced with duct tape.

This is my first attempt working with glassfibre and it was fun.

The process of construction using resin over fleece is quite versatile and allows for relatively fast mock ups such as this.

Neil2 Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Without intending to reduce noise, I put new foam on my heater box and found freeway wind noise reduced dramatically. I was surprised by it and apparently our heater boxes are letting air through that makes a variety of noises at a broad spectrum of speeds. So, something else for folks to consider doing, which has another benefit of making the heater into a virtual tornado as it was when new. Amazing output both in heat and in air movement.

This is a pretty cool modification and bit of research!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

You are going to get terrible reception with the dish in that position.

I would LOVE to see some well done MPG data (same route, same time of day, same ambient temp, etc.)

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:

I would LOVE to see some well done MPG data (same route, same time of day, same ambient temp, etc.)

-d

This!

I bet it will help. These vans have terrible aerodynamics.

I removed my "luggage rack" and that reduced wind noise and helped MPGs.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Fortunately for you, you do not have to see it while driving down the road. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing for the people on the road.

Sorry, I understand it's a prototype, but it looks hideous.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

For some reason this came to mind.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: