Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

This thread is what the Forums are about. Most topics here have been covered in some way or another, this one is a fresh as a tomato from my wife's garden
You can't argue with a guy who does a radical Subaru transplant in 3 weeks. His forward thinking is interesting. I like many others have noticed how much quieter our interiors after rebuilding our heater box. I just spent 1500 miles behind the steering wheel of a Syncro with a Small Car in dash A/C unit and it was super quiet.
I don't know if i'd drive around with a kidde pool on the front of my van but If I could radically quiet my interior with some reasonable add on, I'd think of it.
So it leads me to ask, What would TK say?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

He would say this thread is like a group of toddlers on a kiddie pool arguing about how to make Phelps faster....and he would be right.

This isn't in the same zip code as Engineering
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
furrylittleotter wrote:
... I like to call it genious...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I see a 917 in your future...

No need to discuss air flow in the rear vents on this project.
Don't mean to hijack, but I've never seen a van without the rear vents, is that factory?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
This thread is what the Forums are about. Most topics here have been covered in some way or another, this one is a fresh as a tomato from my wife's garden
You can't argue with a guy who does a radical Subaru transplant in 3 weeks. His forward thinking is interesting. ..snip ..
Stacy

With or without TK, there will always be someone willing to insult for no good reason. Many thanks for your continued thought provoking contributions, Neil ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

gears wrote:
16CV's wrote:
You can't argue with a guy who does a radical Subaru transplant in 3 weeks. His forward thinking is interesting. ..snip ..
Stacy

With or without TK, there will always be someone willing to insult for no good reason. Many thanks for your continued thought provoking contributions, Neil ..

100% in agreement.

If you do not try an idea you will never know how it will work.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Old ideas have already been tried.

A little education in this area would solve the problem.

Nothing new here, but have fun
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

No need to discuss air flow in the rear vents on this project.
Don't mean to hijack, but I've never seen a van without the rear vents, is that factory?

There's not much left from the factory on this van. The engine conversion (subie mid-engine) thread for this van is another one of the best here (I like the experimentation in this thread and the ingenuity of the engine swap).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
flomulgator wrote:
Awesome Neil!
The luggage rack is another culprit. The angle is bad enough but having the depression immediately at the lip creates flow separation. The tintop roofline is fairly well designed but the camper top is just some unscientific aftermarket stuff slapped on...[/img]

Yep.

EDIT/// I didn't read the next page and Kamz already posted it...

Thats why I made this, I cut most of the luggage bin off and just used the perimeter to build my new fiberglass masonite 2x4 bondo replacement with. It was pretty time consuming, but it did get rid of wind noise and helped MPGs...

Uploaded a couple of these photos so they don't get lost in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
Well since the topic of aerodynamics has come up allow me to show a couple of ideas that I have been working on.

Many moons ago someone came up with an "ideal" aerodynamic shape.

Here is that shape laid out with a Vanagon.

Now if you actually lay this shape over the van you start to get an idea how good or bad the Vanagon aero is.

It's not super but not that bad either.
Notice how the front end starts to match up with the template.

However, If we were to make it a little bigger the front starts to line up real well.

If we were to design a high top based loosely on this template you might end up with something that looks a little like this.

If I ever get around to it I hope to build a high top based on this design.
I don't need to sleep up there. I just need enough height to stand up and give me a place to store some light weight items up there.

If you were really going for some super aero, one could add that weird little aero tail to the back and maybe get a good bump in fuel economy.

This pics are gone but it is basically this, I assume:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rounded proboscis proof of concept testing Reply with quote

Go this one and talk to the-reps there. They are very tolerant and won’t laugh at you, since most of them are educators.

My 14th one.

Phoenix . Thanksgiving weekend before

https://www.aps.org/units/dfd/meetings/meeting.cfm?name=DFD21
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: