Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Vermont plates (loophole)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

I had researched this quite a while ago and its totally legit as you have found. Lets be totally realistic here. Its not that Vermont is being nice or trying to help car enthusiasts. Its simply a way to generate revenue plain and simple. I really don't expect this to go away.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

But,

The real question here...

Is, do the plates still state "Live free or die?"

That might be worth it just for that.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Nope . It just says "mountain state" ...as in mountain of cash they are generating off of this ! Lol

I don't expect them to do away with this but there is a possibility it could become more difficult

I had another vw friend of mine who told me of the h&@€ he had to go through with a "Broadway title " he lived in NY and had to pay to have that company perform a title for him .....then only to have the state of NY find out about it and have him bring the bettle in for a "inspection " and off course a " inspection fee " that was a additional $600 dollars to the state of NY

I don't know the latest with Broadway title , but from what I can gather , many states won't accept them or give you a hard time , I heard that the state of Alabama wants to physically see the vehicle ....not sure if this is true
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
But,

The real question here...

Is, do the plates still state "Live free or die?"

That might be worth it just for that.

Kyle

That is New Hampshire, Vermont is the Green Mountain State...
Glad it worked out for you Skippy.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Skippy66 wrote:
I had another vw friend of mine who told me of the h&@€ he had to go through with a "Broadway title " he lived in NY and had to pay to have that company perform a title for him .....then only to have the state of NY find out about it and have him bring the bettle in for a "inspection " and off course a " inspection fee " that was a additional $600 dollars to the state of NY

I call bullshit. Absolute and utter bullshit. I wouldn't recommend Broadyway title to anyone for any reason, especially with how easy it is to do it yourself through VT, but there is no $600 "inspection fee" for anything in NYS related to registering or titling a vehicle. The NYS DMV didn't "find out" about anything. ANY out of state title brought into NYS automatically goes through the fraud investigators. Obviously if any part of this story is true there was something that prompted the fraud investigators to want to see the car, but I promise you, there is no $600 inspection fee for anything. Even a salvage exam in NYS is only $150.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Skippy66 wrote:

I call bullshit. Absolute and utter bullshit. I wouldn't recommend Broadyway title to anyone for any reason, especially with how easy it is to do it yourself through VT, but there is no $600 "inspection fee" for anything in NYS related to registering or titling a vehicle. The NYS DMV didn't "find out" about anything. ANY out of state title brought into NYS automatically goes through the fraud investigators. Obviously if any part of this story is true there was something that prompted the fraud investigators to want to see the car, but I promise you, there is no $600 inspection fee for anything. Even a salvage exam in NYS is only $150.
just what I was told......
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Okay guys .....been a few months , and my birthday was coming and didn't want to renew again in Vermont ...again and then do inevitable, getting it titled in Florida , it's been about 6 months or so since I got the Vermont plates , so I figured that under the scrutiny of suspicious eyes I would appear to be a guy who legitimately relocated to Florida from Vermont and simply wanted the vehicle to have Florida plates , some guys say give it a month ...but I was cautious and waited over 6 months

To rehash , I purchased the 66 13 window bus with no title on July of 2016 , cash with a bill of sale from Mississippi for 2 thousand , I literally raced there , and lived off of beef jerky and red bull for two days to get it

Then , I sent copies of the bill of sale and the proper forms with about 5-600 dollars to Vermont ,they go by the NADA BOOK VALUE ....For the tax fees ....not the purchase price .... I used all the info from the YouTube link guy that was so helpful ....man I owe that guy

About a week or so latter .....I get two plates and a REGISTRATION SLIP thing , that has my Florida address on it ....

Yesterday March 20 2017 , I printed out the Florida vehicle vin# identification on my printer and filled out the form , this took 2 minutes .....I called my city and asked Very politely to have a officer do a inspection .....I had the bus stuffed into the garage with the nose pointed out , I then went out front and opened the garage door and started to look " busy "

10 minutes latter , a LEO showed up rolled down the window and shouted " do you have the paper work" I trotted up to his door and provided the necessary vin# forms filled out ....I had the plates and Vermont registration visibly in hand , and had pictures of the vin plate on my phone .....he didn't even step out of the patrol car , or ask for pictures , or even ask to see the engine (that wasn't there ) he ran the vin# to see it wasn't reported stolen ever - it ran clean (I previously ran the number before purchasing and it was clear before also) -----he signed off , I thanked him ,and was on his way

30 minutes latter I was at the dmv , it was mid day no line ....again I had the VERMONT REGISTRATION SLIP AND PLATES VISSABLE ....I also had pictures of the car vin , and the bill of sale from Mississippi in my pocket and didn't show those unless I was asked .....I walked up and asked Hi , I would like to register my Vermont car to have Florida plates on it she said....can I see your Vermont title? I said ....it's a Vermont car they don't issue titles for older cars only registration slips . She then looked at the vin# form and said oh it's a 1966 ! Went to another worker talked for 10 seconds came back with the paperwork and asked for my drivers license, I filled out the form

To get the Florida title in the mail was 90$ , on the spot 130$ -- I opted for the right on the spot .....and walked out 10 minutes latter with a BRAND SPANKING NEW FLORIDA TITLE to a what was once a almost worthless vehicle with no title --- now I didn't get the plates today cause I didn't have proof of insurance card ....I called haggardy, they quoted 246 for the year ....I called Allstate, I have all may regular vehicles with them , and they go through haggardy , and Allstate quoted me 200 , through haggardy.....Allstate is waiting for approval then they email , mail me my card and I go back and get plates ---BUT I HAVE A TITLE ! So no problems

I'm thinking I may make a side business out of grabbing up old busses and repeating the process , and offering them up for export -- it would be far better these vehicles be sent to grateful folks and restored then rust to a pile of iron
Skippy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Walked in and "got er done "

50$ for antique Florida plates .....

The Vermont registration works Very Happy
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

I'm definitely using this if I ever come across a car with no title that I want to buy. Before I'd be walking away regardless of price or condition.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

it's been 6 years since I first put up the website. I had to give up on having the links be totally accurate because Vermont likes to change them around. It makes me sad the people who doubt that it works after all this time and I am glad to read success stories!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
it's been 6 years since I first put up the website. I had to give up on having the links be totally accurate because Vermont likes to change them around. It makes me sad the people who doubt that it works after all this time and I am glad to read success stories!

You can lead a horse to water...... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Curious - does anyone ever select the "Exempt Title (25yr)" option? This would actually grant a title...not that it's that important.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

The issue is most people do not meet this criteria.
http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title/exempt-title
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:

Good point. Curious - anyone have guidance on how to negotiate the NADA value? 1991 Vanagon Syncro looks like $24K NADA value, with a low range of $9k! Mine needs considerable work - how does one convince them of that to get a taxable value closer to the $9k?
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

You need a dealer appraisal form. http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-012-Dealer_Appraisal_Form.pdf

From what I can see, if you don't live in Vermont there is no "negotiating". They have you, because they know that if you could do it easier/cheaper somewhere else you wouldn't be going to them.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I've had several people tell me that my article about how to do this is "expensive" or whatever. Having said that, do you want to be tied up in legal proceedings or cry once and have it over with?
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

I'm missing something here. Every state has rules and a process for titling and registering older vehicles. Even ones with no title, or that you brought from another State. I've done so in 5 States. Some are a little convoluted, most are straight forward. Most are only difficult because the DMV clerk isn't familiar with it and can't just rubber-stamp it. It's all said and done and you're happy with the results, but I'm curious here, not challenging at all, what was the benefit of registering the bus in Vermont then transferring it to Florida, vs. just getting it done in Florida in the first place? No mention was made if you looked into Florida first. (Florida is one State where I've never dealt with DMV.)
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Many states require bonds, inspections, etc. With Vermont, if the vehicle is 15 years of age all you need is a bill of sale, fill out a form, and write a check. Then you legally have a registration in your name and transfer to your state. Yes, some states make it easy enough. However, this method is the path of least resistance. You literally send a check and a couple weeks later have paperwork.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
BenJAMin wrote:

Good point. Curious - anyone have guidance on how to negotiate the NADA value? 1991 Vanagon Syncro looks like $24K NADA value, with a low range of $9k! Mine needs considerable work - how does one convince them of that to get a taxable value closer to the $9k?

You don't have to convince them anything. They charge you low NADA book value for sales tax.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?
I would be leery of doing this. That would seem to be fraud in some sort of way, especially with California.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?
I would be leery of doing this. That would seem to be fraud in some sort of way, especially with California.

You can have the fees waived in Cali by telling them you are a car collector, it's been discussed here before.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: