Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Vermont plates (loophole)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I'm definitely using this if I ever come across a car with no title that I want to buy. Before I'd be walking away regardless of price or condition.

I guess you have changed your tune since 2015......

quote:
crukab wrote:

I'd guess if you have no other choice but to go w/ the Vermont registration, then you would pay what they say, that or leave your non registered Vw at home........
I don't like paying Taxes anymore than the next person, but if it's pay what they say or don't get plates, I'd pay.
Several years ago I registered a 1961 15 window Bus, paid like $385 or so in tax, filled out the forms, brought it to a local car dealer, got 65% of my money back.

Quote: Cali_ Army_Guy
Hey if you want to just roll over and get unfairly charged be my guest. I'm not doing it. When my bill of sale says $500 and you try charging me tax on any other amount there's going to be a problem. I don't give a shit what NADA says. NADA wasn't there when I made the deal. I paid what my paper says and if you want to illegally charge me I'll be happy to sit in court and fight it.

Oh your total at the grocery store is $50 but we're going to tax you on $200. It's the same fucking thing.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
The issue is most people do not meet this criteria.
http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title/exempt-title

Yep, for $38 I can get titles for any older cars I want, you just need to be a resident & own the car. John Hamill of John's Car Corner was pretty happy to hear this, as he has many Vws that need titles.........

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I'm definitely using this if I ever come across a car with no title that I want to buy. Before I'd be walking away regardless of price or condition.

I guess you have changed your tune since 2015......

Within reason, but fair enough.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

As I understand it, CA is one of the easiest states to get a title for a vehicle without one. I have sent a few VW's there, and buyers have told me a title isn't a big deal for them. I am sure it has been discussed on here before, but you might check with your DMV about how it works in CA.

On the topic of VT having this process for titles and concern whether it will last very long; they have been doing it for many, many years. And it used to be much cheaper. Not sure when they changed, but the tax rate based on the NADA value is fairly recent. Maybe the last five years or so?
bhvw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

so what if you get a bus from the 80 year old guy down the road for free. and he doesn't have the title so you do all the leg work to get one and find out it wasn't title in his name ever. but also can't be told who's name it's in. who do you do the bill of sale from?
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

As long as it's not stolen and even better yet not currently registered it really doesn't matter. I'd just get the bill of sale from the 80 year old. Or whoever
bhvw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

So they wouldn't look into who is on the title?
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

eventually they fall out the system
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

bhvw61 wrote:
So they wouldn't look into who is on the title?

No, Vermont will not care, they just want the ca$h....

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

How much do ya'll pay in fees in CA? Here in TX you pay about $50 per year. If you don't pay you don't get a registration but the fee doesn't accumulate. In fact, if you say you didn't drive the car you don't get penalized one bit. Also, TX, a few years ago moved over to the blue book system. People were selling their car's for $1, on paper, to avoid paying taxes.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt_NC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this in North Carolina? I hear the VIN inspector that comes to your house can be difficult.
bhvw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

So when you fill out the form what address do you use? all I have seen on the form is that you must be a resident. unless im looking at the wrong form.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

This site pretty much walks you through it...

http://benboyle.com/blog/
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Skippy66 wrote:
Hey guys ....

I just purchased a 1966 13 window bus , the bus is a rescue after sitting for 34 years in the woods of Mississippi, NO TITLE

I transported back home to Florida , and I'm now pondering my next move on restoring my new bus , but I guess tackling the title would be the first move

I've seen a few YouTube videos on some so called Vermont loophole , you simply send Vermont dmv the fee's (even if you don't reside in Vermont ) and the send you plates and a registration slip , from that point you transfer it in your own state - there is a vin# verification form with confusing instructions , it stipulates this is required if the vehicle was titled in another state , but I think Mississippi is exempt because of the age of the bus

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated-- Shannon

I bought my bug from a seller in NC with a bill of sale and brought that to the tax collector in orange county fl and walked out with my FL title same day. I had all of the paperwork (vin verification, bill of sale, etc)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Matt_NC wrote:
Has anyone tried this in North Carolina? I hear the VIN inspector that comes to your house can be difficult.

DO NOT invite the inspectors to your house or business unless ALL of your other vehicles are registered to you, once on the property, you have opened the door & they can ask for proof of ownership of everything else.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Matt_NC wrote:

DO NOT invite the inspectors to your house or business unless ALL of your other vehicles are registered to you, once on the property, you have opened the door & they can ask for proof of ownership of everything else.

I have the cops come to my house regularly for VIN inspections. They don't give a shit what else I have around.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

The NC DMV inspectors are not cops, they wield more power than the state troopers (Only outranked by the game warden, the FBI, the secret service, and then the IRS) and they seem to find the most pissed-at-the-world individuals to fill this position.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

bhvw61 wrote:
So when you fill out the form what address do you use? all I have seen on the form is that you must be a resident. unless im looking at the wrong form.

If your going the Vermont route, you use YOUR home address, the VT. registration comes w/ YOUR address, you do not have to live in Vt. to register a car there. It is really that simple.
And yes, read the Ben Boyle info as jspbtown recomends.....

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
summer25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just read this whole post plus a few others. This process seems pretty straightforward. I do have a question as to other people's experiences. I bought a 1970 Squareback in Fl with a bill of sale. I was told by the seller that he never registered the car in his name. It wasn't running so it just sat in a lot. He bought it off an ebay auction and the car came from Georgia. I called the Dept of Revenue in Georgia and they said they do not title cars of that age. So I tried the DMV in Florida where I live with a bill of sale and form with odometer verification all signed and notarized. Well the lady came back to me and said that the car DOES have a Georgia title and gave me the printout with the title number. I do not have any information about the real previous owner (title holder). I can see that the car was last registered in 2010. After doing some research I realize this is called "title jumping". The state of FL recognizes that GA does not give titles (though it has one) and so all they ask from me is a bill of sale and registration in order for me to register the car to my name and get my tags. I'm honestly super frustrated and have been going crazy trying to figure out a solution as the seller does not want to go through the "hassle" of registering it. I can't think of anything else to do. I'm honestly about to tell him to give me a refund and take the car back. I love the car and its in great condition but jeez! I'm never buying a car without a title again.

My question now is, does this Vermont process apply to me since the title is not technically "lost"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

As long as it's not listed as stolen Vermont will still roll with it and this paperwork will supercede the Georgia paperwork. I have done this once with a Blazer that was in the system in Arizona that I was transferring to Michigan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: