Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Vermont plates (loophole)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
summer25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

The vin does come back clean and not stolen. If what I'm trying next doesn't work then looks like this is the route I'll be taking. Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt_NC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The NC DMV inspectors are not cops, they wield more power than the state troopers (Only outranked by the game warden, the FBI, the secret service, and then the IRS) and they seem to find the most pissed-at-the-world individuals to fill this position.

I am going to hope for one that is in a good mood........ Inspectors aside, has anyone used the Vermont registration in North Carolina to get a title?
Do they recognize the Vermont registration as proof of ownership?
Do they uestion the fact that I obviously don't live there?

I just want to hear from someone who has gotten a title this way that it does indeed work.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Matt_NC wrote:

Do they recognize the Vermont registration as proof of ownership?
Do they uestion the fact that I obviously don't live there?

Yes they do, especially if the paper trail in their system shows that it's been in NC the whole time. NC DMV has been known to take extra efforts in tracing & denying title transfers from "title mill" states. I don't know if Vermont has been recognized as such but they really cracked down on titles from those mid-western states that were always used in the "get a title for any car" ads in Hemmings & the like.

When I got my latest project registered last week, it got flagged due to being out of the system for 35+ years & a DMV officer called the tag agency to have them send a fax of the title to be reviewed by the overlords.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful info here. My scenario and question is somewhat different.

I have a title in my name for my bus. The bus I've been working on is in another state 500 miles away from where I live and is in the final stages of being put together. Here's the thing. My state's DMV issues a two week registration and plates and then you must get the car inspected within those two weeks of being issued plates and registration. Once the vehicle goes through the inspection station, you renew the registration and license plates and you're off you're merry way.

However, the initial registration and plates of two weeks is not enough time to do shake down tests and drive the bus from 500 miles to where I live. Ideally, I'd like to get the VT registration and plates to have extra time to test drive and get the bus ready to travel 500 miles.

Here's the million dollar question: If I already have a title in my name, can I apply for VT plates and registration?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful info here. My scenario and question is somewhat different.

I have a title in my name for my bus. The bus I've been working on is in another state 500 miles away from where I live and is in the final stages of being put together. Here's the thing. My state's DMV issues a two week registration and plates and then you must get the car inspected within those two weeks of being issued plates and registration. Once the vehicle goes through the inspection station, you renew the registration and license plates and you're off you're merry way.

However, the initial registration and plates of two weeks is not enough time to do shake down tests and drive the bus from 500 miles to where I live. Ideally, I'd like to get the VT registration and plates to have extra time to test drive and get the bus ready to travel 500 miles.

Here's the million dollar question: If I already have a title in my name, can I apply for VT plates and registration?

Have it shipped home, or trailer it yourself. You will be way ahead of the game.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Could you purchase a trip permit?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Could you purchase a trip permit?

Looks like in my jurisdiction, trip permits are for buses and commercial vehicles only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Can't you just temp tag it multiple times (after each 2 week period expires)?

no sense in swapping state to state titling back and forth unless your planning on moving as well...
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Dan, you can use your Title to register it, BUT Vt. will not give you a VT. title, and will not give you yours back, if you lived here you can get a title for your Vw if it is registered, thru a Notary w/ the proper DMV forms.
I'd write a bill of sale and use that, they WILL tax the shit out of you for the 1st time you register it, but it will get you plates & registration. Look them up on line & call them, they have no problem w/ taking your $$$, even if you live out of state. You can tell them you paid $100 for it, that does not matter, they still will tax the shit out of you... But you get plates good for a year.

I can lend you my Bus Tow bar if you want to tow it, I can bring it down to Wellfleet if you want.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Jim H.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Has anyone done this VERY recenlty...and does it still work? We are approaching 2019 as I'm writing this, and I need to know if it is still an effective way to register a car in Connecticut? The one question I have is how can you get the Vermont plates if you've never lived in VT., currently do not live in VT., and only use a Bill of Sale from another state except VT. - where you bought the car from? Does the Vermont DMV need a letter stating that you originally bought the car in Vermont..or something to this effect, where somewhere along the timeline that the car resided in VT. at one point or another? Any and all help is Greatly appreciated!! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Last time I did this it made no difference where I bought the car.

In fact it was for a VW Dunebuggy that I bought in NY state. I registered it as a VW in VT. I got VT plates and registration and went down to my local Massachusetts DMV and got a MA title for it with the paperwork I got from VT.

I have never lived in VT, nor was any part of the transaction completed in VT. They did not care.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

I think Montana is the new Vermont as far as registering cars.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Jim H. wrote:
Has anyone done this VERY recenlty...and does it still work? We are approaching 2019 as I'm writing this, and I need to know if it is still an effective way to register a car in Connecticut? The one question I have is how can you get the Vermont plates if you've never lived in VT., currently do not live in VT., and only use a Bill of Sale from another state except VT. - where you bought the car from? Does the Vermont DMV need a letter stating that you originally bought the car in Vermont..or something to this effect, where somewhere along the timeline that the car resided in VT. at one point or another? Any and all help is Greatly appreciated!! Very Happy Very Happy

This guy just did it. Apparently it still works fine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709347
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I think Montana is the new Vermont as far as registering cars.

Stacy

How so? Historically MT has been a bit of a pain in the ass to deal with when it comes to title issues.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?

If the car was legitimately stored on private property without being parked driven or towed on any public strret or highway, you can get the back fees waved.

here is the law as written. I have used this many times. IF the clerk tells you no, Ask for a supervisor.
you may need the PO to do a statemant of facts to decalre the vehicle was stored on private property while the registration was expired

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d), prior to
the expiration of the registration of a vehicle, if that
registration is not to be renewed prior to its expiration, the owner
of the vehicle shall file, under penalty of perjury, a certification
that the vehicle will not be operated, moved, or left standing upon a
highway without first making an application for registration of the
vehicle, including full payment of all fees. The certification is
valid until the vehicle's registration is renewed pursuant to
subdivision (c).
(b) Each certification filed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
accompanied by a filing fee of fifteen dollars ($15).
(c) (1) An application for renewal of registration, except when
accompanied by an application for transfer of title to, or an
interest in, the vehicle, shall be submitted to the department with
payment of the required fees for the current registration year and
without penalty for delinquent payment of fees imposed under this
code or under Part 5 (commencing with Section 10701) of Division 2 of
the Revenue and Taxation Code if the department receives the
application prior to or on the date the vehicle is first operated,
moved, or left standing upon a highway during the current
registration year and the certification required pursuant to
subdivision (a) was timely filed with the department.
(2) If an application for renewal of registration is accompanied
by an application for transfer of title, that application may be made
without incurring a penalty for delinquent payment of fees not later
than 20 days after the date the vehicle is first operated, moved, or
left standing on a highway if a certification pursuant to
(d) A certification is not required to be filed pursuant to
subdivision (a) for one or more of the following:
(1) A vehicle on which the registration expires while being held
as inventory by a dealer or lessor-retailer or while being held
pending a lien sale by the keeper of a garage or operator of a towing
service.
(2) A vehicle registered pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with
Section 8050) of Chapter 4 of Division 3.
(3) A vehicle described in Section 5004, 5004.5, or 5051, as
provided in Section 4604.2. However, the registered owner may file a
certificate of nonoperation in lieu of the certification specified in
subdivision (a).
(4) A vehicle registered pursuant to Article 5 (commencing with
Section 9700) of Chapter 6 if the registered owner has complied with
subdivision (c) of Section 9706.
(e) Notwithstanding Section 670, for purposes of this section, a
"vehicle" is a device by which a person or property may be propelled,
moved, or driven upon a highway having intact and assembled its
major component parts including, but not limited to, the frame or
chassis, cowl, and floor pan or, in the case of a trailer, the frame
and wheels or, in the case of a motorcycle, the frame, front fork,
and engine. For purposes of this section, "vehicle" does not include
a device moved exclusively by human power, a device used exclusively
upon stationary rails or tracks, or a motorized wheelchair.

5051 collector

(a) "Collector" is the owner of one or more vehicles described in
Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined
in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or
disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in
order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or
historical purposes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

if you live in CT no title needed. vin verification which can be done at any emissions station and go register it...done

it's probably about the only nice thing left in CT.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Skippy66 wrote:
Hey guys ....

I just purchased a 1966 13 window bus , the bus is a rescue after sitting for 34 years in the woods of Mississippi, NO TITLE

I transported back home to Florida , and I'm now pondering my next move on restoring my new bus , but I guess tackling the title would be the first move

I've seen a few YouTube videos on some so called Vermont loophole , you simply send Vermont dmv the fee's (even if you don't reside in Vermont ) and the send you plates and a registration slip , from that point you transfer it in your own state - there is a vin# verification form with confusing instructions , it stipulates this is required if the vehicle was titled in another state , but I think Mississippi is exempt because of the age of the bus

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated-- Shannon

Florida is a money state, all they want is the money.
You had a have a bill of sale for the Bus you bought.
you now have a registration in your name too.
Just go to Fl. DMV and fill out the paperwork, pay the money, and you are done.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Can this be used as a work around to avoid back fees?

For example,
I have a car in a barn that's not on non op. Has about $900 in back fees. Car HAS a CA title. Can I pretend it doesn't and do a bill of sale to myself and send it to Vermont? Get the reg and plates from there and turn around and transfer it back to a CA title? Would it pop up in the CA system as having back fees from before? Or would I simply just pay the transfer fee and get my new registration thus avoiding the $900 in back reg?

If the car was legitimately stored on private property without being parked driven or towed on any public strret or highway, you can get the back fees waved.

here is the law as written. I have used this many times. IF the clerk tells you no, Ask for a supervisor.
you may need the PO to do a statemant of facts to decalre the vehicle was stored on private property while the registration was expired

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d), prior to
the expiration of the registration of a vehicle, if that
registration is not to be renewed prior to its expiration, the owner
of the vehicle shall file, under penalty of perjury, a certification
that the vehicle will not be operated, moved, or left standing upon a
highway without first making an application for registration of the
vehicle, including full payment of all fees. The certification is
valid until the vehicle's registration is renewed pursuant to
subdivision (c).
(b) Each certification filed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
accompanied by a filing fee of fifteen dollars ($15).
(c) (1) An application for renewal of registration, except when
accompanied by an application for transfer of title to, or an
interest in, the vehicle, shall be submitted to the department with
payment of the required fees for the current registration year and
without penalty for delinquent payment of fees imposed under this
code or under Part 5 (commencing with Section 10701) of Division 2 of
the Revenue and Taxation Code if the department receives the
application prior to or on the date the vehicle is first operated,
moved, or left standing upon a highway during the current
registration year and the certification required pursuant to
(2) If an application for renewal of registration is accompanied
by an application for transfer of title, that application may be made
without incurring a penalty for delinquent payment of fees not later
than 20 days after the date the vehicle is first operated, moved, or
left standing on a highway if a certification pursuant to
(d) A certification is not required to be filed pursuant to
subdivision (a) for one or more of the following:
(1) A vehicle on which the registration expires while being held
as inventory by a dealer or lessor-retailer or while being held
pending a lien sale by the keeper of a garage or operator of a towing
service.
(2) A vehicle registered pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with
Section 8050) of Chapter 4 of Division 3.
(3) A vehicle described in Section 5004, 5004.5, or 5051, as
provided in Section 4604.2. However, the registered owner may file a
certificate of nonoperation in lieu of the certification specified in
subdivision (a).
(4) A vehicle registered pursuant to Article 5 (commencing with
Section 9700) of Chapter 6 if the registered owner has complied with
subdivision (c) of Section 9706.
(e) Notwithstanding Section 670, for purposes of this section, a
"vehicle" is a device by which a person or property may be propelled,
moved, or driven upon a highway having intact and assembled its
major component parts including, but not limited to, the frame or
chassis, cowl, and floor pan or, in the case of a trailer, the frame
and wheels or, in the case of a motorcycle, the frame, front fork,
and engine. For purposes of this section, "vehicle" does not include
a device moved exclusively by human power, a device used exclusively
upon stationary rails or tracks, or a motorized wheelchair.

5051 collector

(a) "Collector" is the owner of one or more vehicles described in
Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined
in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or
disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in
order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or
historical purposes.

OR if the $900 in back fees is not your back fees, then you fill out a statement of facts.
Statement of facts will explain the condition that you bought the car with existing back fees.
Back fees are not yours, you're not going to have to pay them.
California is another money state, all they really want is the money.
If the DMV finds a clear record on the title history of the car, they will process the car, and wave back fees.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim H.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

if you live in CT no title needed. vin verification which can be done at any emissions station and go register it...done

it's probably about the only nice thing left in CT.

You are correct about that! Everything here is so damned expensive, it's a wonder that haven't taxed the air we breathe yet!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Vermont plates (loophole) Reply with quote

Jim H. wrote:

YES, this still works, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE IN VT. to register a car there, they do not care what your bill o' sale says as far as where the car was bought, as in, I bought this car from x in anywhere Ct. for $500, you can call them to find out what it will cost, fill out the forms, send them the $$$, done deal. They just want the $$$$$$$$

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: