Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Disassembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

Hi I asked in my restoration thread, but got no answers so I'll ask again. I don't know how to get this cover plate off of the seats. All I see are clip things not screws or tabs. I don't know if I should hit it or not. Here's a picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

On the back of these seat bottom side cover panels you will find one or two flat, spring metal clips that hold the panel onto the seat frame. Just turn the clips 90 degrees, and the panels will be free to come off. Hang onto them, and the metal clips .....they're hard to find.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

Okay, thanks a lot!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

So... I got the panel off but while moving the rear one it popped and came off and now the cap thing is missing and I don't think I can put the clip back on. How do I fix this?!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

There was an expanding pin in there ...you can replace it with a small bolt and nut ....or one of those plastic push-pins that are used on some cars to hold down carpet, or plastic panels.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

Ok. I still have the pin, just not the cap to the pin.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

I have been using some jasco paint stripper to remove the layers of paint off of my seats and its leaving paint that doesn't come of and I can't really get the paint in the corners. Should I get these sandblasted or should I keep going with the jasco?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

Should I get them sandblasted?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

It comes down to cost. Most people doing VW bug work seem to be doing it 'on a budget' ...so, cheaper the better. If you can afford sandblasting (or better yet, soda blasting) go for it. If you use the paint stripper to almost all of the old paint off, then get the tough parts blasted, that may be an more economical solution.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Disassembly Reply with quote

That's my plan. I'll get as much off with paint stripper. After that if it hasn't come off I'll have them media blasted.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: