Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pitman arm shaft nut
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Pitman arm shaft nut Reply with quote

Question: i need a pitman arm shaft nut, are these available?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pitman arm shaft nut Reply with quote

So the one on your steering box is missing? Or.....is it the one on the passemger side idler arm?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pitman arm shaft nut Reply with quote

The one on the steering box. I've got a nut on it and it's tight, but it doesn't have the ping feature. So I keep checking it to see if it's tight.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pitman arm shaft nut Reply with quote

I can look for it by parr number. If I cant find one.....I have one spare steering box I could steal it off of and get it to you.

The nut locking/staking points are insurance.....but it's not a huge issue. The pitman on is literally pressed onto a tapered, splined shaft. It requires a stout puller and a sharp strike from a 3-5 lb sledge hammer.....just to crack the joint loose.....after you remove the nut.

With even just loctite on a normal nut you are probably fine.

The thin flange on the stock nut that you peen into place is just minor insurance against the nut loosening.....probably if someone actually did not torque the nut to its cortect....pretty high torque..... because with as much torque as there is on the nut .....you wont even notice the small amount of resistance that nut flange produces.

You could also torque the nut down properly with loctite....and then with a sharp pointed punch and a 3lb sledge hammer or large ball-peen hammer.......simply put a dent in the nut right next to the flat recess.....and that distortion would be more than enough. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pitman arm shaft nut Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I think it is secure. It's been like this for some time and it hasn't budged. So I may be worrying unnecessarily. Anyhow I'll check it out anytime I'm underneath there. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: