Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calling all Wheel Arch Experts...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Can you mega-knowledgeable types tell me if this is the correct wheel arch to replace the mangled arch on my '75 Westy? It's from Bus Depot.

Clearly the product description says it is. But I've seen threads in the past in which some folks have pointed out very subtle differences in the flare or the slope angle of these wheel arches around the 1974 or 1975 years. Needless to say, I'd like to get the utmost correct one. I would've called BD, but I've received erroneous info from them over the phone before, so I'd just as soon ask the experts!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the data:
Rear Wheel Arch
Right, 72-79 Bus (flared lip). Premium quality, European made.
Part Reference Number: 9556592
$39.95

I just for the life of me can't figure out how they can offer premium quality for 40 bucks. There's no way it could match the beefy gauge of my current sheetmetal.

Thanks!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

It's as close as you'll get for $40, the shape is really close but the gauge will likely dissapoint you, your other alternatives are NOS VW or something from the UK possibly, either of those will have more zeros attached to the price.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Gerson might make them. It is worth checking. Otherwise, Autocraft or Alan Schofield.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Klokkerholm sheet metal is third world metallurgy and the fit will be horrendous. Find a Bus being parted in Arizona. Get them to cut it over sized. Your welder will be much happier....it won't be warped all to shit and it will actually fit. You will spend ALOT more money making that panel fit versus finding a great used one....having it media blasted and tacked in. PM Red Feh Vo? Can't remember his Samba name. He probably
has one sitting in his garage waiting to be shipped. You are absolutely correct wondering....it's pure marketing....and absolute bull shit. Between the flimsy piece of shit they send you and shipping you can buy a German original. You will be throwing your money away.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/cat_644616-Rear-Wheel-Arches-Parts.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses...sorry for the late reply, I'm dealing with issues!

bd, I don't mind some zeros on the price Smile , but something cut from a donor would be nice.

Gerson: I’d love one of his, but I did check his site and he doesn’t list it. E-mailed him a month ago and got no reply.
Autocraft: Checked their site, apparently don't make the later arches. I think there's a guy (monkey something, maybe?) in SoCal who is/was their distributor.
Alan Schofield: Price is 59 pounds, I wonder how much better these are...hoping not to resort to ordering parts from Europe.

I did get a PM offering support to find an NOS part, and I will hunt down Red Fau Veh to see what he's got cooking.

I posted pics of the mangled mess, below...it's rolled under, crinkled and wrinkled beyond recognition (not shown in these pics). After I remove a half inch of pocked-marked bondo that the PO applied, I was hoping to find something I could repair. But this seems like double-walled construction and it’s stiff as hell…unbelievably strong construction, and crumpled into hamburger underneath!

Thanks for the help!

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

From the looks of that I'd be shopping for a whole 1/4 panel from the beltline down including the corner. Even if the donor needed a new lower corner by the battery it'd still be less work that trying to flatten that mess back out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Alan Shofield makes great stuff. I think they also sell parts made by other people (I may be wrong), contact them. Also try Jan Blair in Phoenix,Az., he might have a bus he can part out for you. I've dealt with both Shofield and Blair in the past.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

What happened to that thing??

Shocked
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

Maybe BustedBus might have something in the way of a quarter panel.

http://bustedbus.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Shocked

Cellulite.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Shocked

Cellulite.

Is that the origin pic of "Fat Chick"?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all Wheel Arch Experts... Reply with quote

I'd try to find a nice panel from a junkyard. Do yourself a favor and try to keep the welding inside the sliding door flange and under the belt line cover. Like you mentioned, it's double walled and there is no way to metal finish it.

I hate metalworking late Buses. Anything after 70 is a pain in the ass.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: