Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

My mother is easily the greatest person I know, she raised myself and my disabled sister alone without much help. She worked very hard all of her life, and made numerous sacrifices. She has always wanted a ragtop, now that I am older and have the means I have decided it is time I do something for her that she would never do for herself.

I started my search about a month ago, l was looking for something with a relatively straight and rust free body as I would need to outsource any body work. A Craigslist search came up with one in Tucson. It had 1 picture and a 1 line description, and a great price. I was sure it was a scam. I contacted the seller whom sent me more pictures easing my mind, It was not all original, but this car will be a weekend driver, not a show piece. I was assured there was no deep rust, the car had disc brakes, which my mother being the typical stereo type Socal driver will desperately require Laughing. Narrowed front beam, BRM wheels. I was told the ring an pinion were making noise, but the car otherwise ran fine.

A deal was struck and I had to pay a bit more for the seller to hold the car as I could not pick it up immediately. I went on vacation for a week, and the day after I returned I rented a trailer and drove the 12 hours to Tucson. The car looked good in person, rough paint which was fine, 1600 engine on a later IRS chassis. The car was solid, even under the battery, the 1600 started easily and pulled strong. there were a couple dents here and there, but nothing major.

The goal for this restoration will be a cross between Cal style and stock. It's going to stay low, with the BRM wheels. It will be repainted to factory option color, with factory interior. The engine will probably stay the 1600 that is in it for now, maybe upgrade to a 1835 later. The tear down will begin this winter as I am needing to add onto my garage to accommodate this, and a couple other project vehicles. So far I have removed the deck lid stand offs. Next up will be sourcing a new hood and front fenders, and getting it ready to paint. then rewire as I do not like how it is done now.

If anyone is familiar with the history of the car I would love to know more about it.

Pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picking it up.

In the event anyone is wondering, these are my other projects.

1964 Datsun 1500 Roadster 3 seat

1972 Vespa Small Frame 90

I must also say I have a very understanding spouse, as the Datsun was a bit of an impulse purchase after I sold my 74 BMW 2002, and now I added the VW to the house, even though it will eventually make it's way to a new home with my mom. That's a couple years away.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Nice and your mom will look spiffy driving that car.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

I always thought the early Datsun roadsters were beautiful- and made great use of Speedwell steering wheels. I have a 1600 waiting for me at a neighbor's house. He is waiting for one of us to give in- so I'm sure it will be mine.

Nice son you are. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Ragtop! Cool

(Beautiful Datsun btw, ...owned a 240 eons ago & built a brutal Z32 a decade or so ago)

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Looking closer, I think I am incorrect on the chassis. I believe that the chassis and body are still original matching. So, I've go that going for me.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

The only way to confirm matching body and pan is to find the number under the back seat and then the body plate behind the spare tire...match them to the number on the title .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
The only way to confirm matching body and pan is to find the number under the back seat and then the body plate behind the spare tire...match them to the number on the title .

They do indeed match, not to investigate the engine a bit more.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Disassembly begins tonight. My 6yo daughter is have friends over for a slumber party, so what better time to get out of the house. Any suggestions on order? I was planning interior->Windows-> engine. I plan on leaving the current wiring harness through paint so I can reference it and use it to pull a new one when re-assembly begins.

Going to stop at Home depot and buy a bunch of storage tubs, and some zip lock bags to keep track of everything.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

I like your plans, but I gotta ask . . . why do you feel the need to replace the hood and front fenders?
If you have original fenders, I strongly suggest repairing them! Same for the hood.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
I like your plans, but I gotta ask . . . why do you feel the need to replace the hood and front fenders?
If you have original fenders, I strongly suggest repairing them! Same for the hood.

I might keep them, the hood was shaved, and now sits crooked, the fenders had those amber lights added in place of the oval grills. I think I am leaning toward keeping them and seeing how much it might be to repair.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

I agree. Finding a hood that properly fits your front end can be a real PiTA. It will take far longer to shop than to re-tweek the one you have. I know a guy who went through a stack of 12 trying to find one. The front fenders can be patched in the time it takes to test fit hood number 9.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Got the interior stripped tonight. Went quick with the exception of a few bits of the GM 3 point seat belts that were installed. I'll need to drill out a couple bolts.

The Bad.
Large holes on the B pillars for the aforementioned seat belts. This was expected.

When the car was customized some short cuts look to have been taken. Like the doors to fit 1 piece windows.

The good.

Still have not found any rust. And the pans look to be original.

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

The cut doors make my teeth hurt.

Does your mom know you're doing this?

Very awesome, and I think you will wind up with a very cool car.

It being a '60, you might take a browse through the 60-61 restoration sticky at the top of the 58-67 forum page. Even though you're not hell-bent for 100%stock, it might help you better understand some of the 1960 oddities you're sure to encounter.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

She does not know about this. Hoping to keep it quiet, which might be hard as I have two young kids. So I haven't told them who it's for either.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Ragtops are COOL! I used to have a '63. Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

New (to me ) doors. one small ding, and some surface rust. Will need new seals and scrapers, but overall in good shape for being 55 years old.

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Small update, been slowly gathering parts. Bought a fuel filter relocation bracket, new popes nose, some replacement body parts(spare tire, and lower valance). Also have new (to me) rear pop outs on their way. I also just got the Zertifikat in the mail yesterday. Looks like it was originally a L 363 Arktic car. So the debate of color will now begin. Also my mom found the car on a recent visit, whey she felt the need to go in the barn is beyond me, but now she can have some input. She has already decided she wants original style wheels, but I get to leave it low.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project! Also, nice Vespa! My bugs share their garage with a couple of those too.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

I need Samba's knowledge. I have read and read on the steering wheel issues for 60/61. My mom purchased a wheel she was told will work with the original 6 wire turn signal and steering column. I do not think it will please let me know if it will or not.

Second from my research I think I may only need to replace the horn ring it it is not the correct model?

Please help me figure this out.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Here is a Great thread started by duginabug, all about the '60 & '61 Horn working's

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369613&highlight=horn+wiring+hell
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: