Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

It looks like you have a 64-65 steering wheel and horn bar, based on the part numbers. They are obviously not period correct for a 1960, but they will work. I have the same setup in my '61.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Here's the skinny on Different steering wheels and horn rings,Great reference.
RareAir Wrote:
113415651D = 1960-61 Steering wheel
113415651E = 1962-63 Steering wheel
311415651A =1964-65 Steering wheel
311415651B=1966-70 Steering wheel
311415651D =1971 Steering wheel

113951531C = 1960-61 horn ring, Chrome
113951531D = 1962-63 horn ring, Chrome
113951**** = 1964-65 horn bar, Chrome
113951531E = 1966-67 horn ring, Chrome
311951531F = 1968-71 horn ring, Silver

The horn bar (no ring) was only used on 1964-65 Beetles, Ghias & Type 3s.
If the ring is painted Silver, it's 1968-later
The steering wheels with the downward notches are found on the 1960-63 wheels
Here's also a thread with some updated info:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

So I need a few more opinions. I bought replacement doors to replace my hacked Cal style doors. I am starting to think it would be better to cut the necessary metal from the replacement doors ad have it welded onto the doors that are already hung. My thinking is that the gaps are good and I really do not want to drill out the welds since I do not think these have ever been off. The replacements need some work, a few dents here and there, but the ones already on the car only need a couple holes welded from when someone put mirrors on.

Here are some pictures of where the were cut for the Cal modification. as far as I can tell its just the vertical support that was cut. all he holes are still there.

Driver side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side

Replacements

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

The replacement doors look pretty good. Seems a shame to cut them up. Sad Maybe you can find somebody with a trashed set of doors that would cut out the pieces you need and sell 'em to you cheap? Smile

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Are your replacement doors '60, or later? The original '60 door has the older style door stops and looking at the front jam you can see there are sheet metal differences. It would be good to keep the car as much '60 as practical.

The new doors look pretty nice and fitting a door generally is more about the car than the door. Some of the '61-'64 doors end up tweaked at the hinges though, in which case they want to sit too far forward in the opening, a direction where you lack adjustment. Changing doors is really no big deal once you get those screws loose the first time.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get some replacement metal. But I am not going to pull the doors.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Cut and weld those brace sections in. I'd rather do that too than remove and replace the doors. Cover the glass with a welding blanket.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Gah, forgot about the vent wing channel. If for some reason that is still in the hacked doors I'll go forward with my plan if not I am going to need to try and hang the replacement doors.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

car_cursed wrote:
My thinking is that the gaps are good and I really do not want to drill out the welds since I do not think these have ever been off.

What welds are you thinking that need to be "drilled out"?
The doors hinges unbolt (screws) from the body.

If ya have yer heart set on vent wings, and you plan on repainting, replacing the doors will be the simplest option.

Personally, I would keep the one-piece windows.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

So, the currently installed doors will not work, the vent wing channel was cut out. I am going to see if I can unbolt them this week, drill the rivets and put the replacement doors on. I have to reuse these hinges because the replacement doors hinges were beyond repair. I bought the hardware to replace the rivets today.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Got the replacement doors on without much hassle. Need to tighten up the drivers side gap a bit, but I am happy otherwise.

While I was working I thought I would see how difficult it would be to recut the rear decklid for the taillight housing. I found a bit more bondo than I had hoped for. It's fortunately not coving any rust at least. I need to get the whole car media blasted soon to see where I am at.

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

JBugs had a 15% off everything sale, so went ahead and committed to the interior palette. Also ordered new exterior handles, wire harness. The Ragtop is special order and will get that soon. I also moved the car into a shed/garage from my barn to get it torn down for media blasting and epoxy primer.

Last edited by car_cursed on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

So I started taking apart he front end. Having not really inspected it before I discovered that the narrowed beam had the shock towers cutoff. Since this is a car for my mom I would like to have front shocks. What are my options?

I think the easiest and quickest will be to just buy a new beam? I would like to just get towers welded on like these, but cant seem to find them in stock height.

Here is what I am working with.

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

After much hand wringing, I am going to leave the front beam as is. It's been this way for 20+ years, since this will be an occasional driver I'm not too worried about it. Taking apart the rear found some questionable fixes to the taillights so new parts are on the way from WW. This car is still coming apart really well (knock on wood).

Glass is out, rear fenders off, next step is to pull the engine. I want to get a stand to reseal the engine and a dolly to make dropping it easier.

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

I welded those towers on my beam, I thought they were stock height

car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Started the engine beautification and reseal process.

Engine is a 1500 that I am backdating with some select parts. This will be a sunny weather socal car so no need for heat. New Items are the fan shroud, front and rear tins, pulley.

I bought a non breather oil bath and filler tube to help complete the look. The cylinder tin, pulley tin, oil bath, oil filler, generator backing plate were all original and powder coated a low gloss black. And the generator stand was media blasted.

The riser manifold and exhaust were ceramic coated in a shade as close to the Ford grey as I could find.

I degreased the engine, and cleaned up the ancillary parts.

This was not my original plan at all, but after I pulled the engine I noticed one of the pushrod tubes had a dent and well it went from new tubes and seals to where we are now.

Fresh and clean

Cleaned up parts

Beginning assembly
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Modern Chinese manufacturing was no match for 50 year old German engineering.

A buddy is loaning me his 3/4 breaker we'll see if that's up to the job.
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Tin behing pulley is wrong for the other sheet metal. The current behind pulley tin you have is 68 and later. Easier to change outside the car.
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

The car looks better already with the new doors on. The 90s paint job was hard to look at. Very Happy

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Car for Mom: 1960 Ragtop Reply with quote

Engine is mostly reassembled, still need to buy a clutch and a couple other items.

Next up is body and paint.

IN an effort to save a bit of cost and know what the body is like going in I am going to strip the body myself, I started with the hood. It's not too bad but I have no idea why the area around the emblem would be this beat up. Next will be a replacement deck lid and the fender before I move onto the body.

This was a mix if paint stripper and wire wheel. I will to be doing the wire wheel again as that thing shed like mad and I looked like lawnmower man by the time I was done. I will probably use a stripper wheel going forward.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: