Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

Could not find this anywhere. Does anyone know the size of the bearing balls in the steering box? There are 28 of them. 14 per side.

I lost one in my rebuild. My old ones measure .2490/.2495 which is awful close to .2500" but being German not what i expected. I figured they would be metric. 6mm.

Anyways, i am looking for a single ball bearing or to replace all of them. I know that alanschofield.com has them but i did not get a response from them.

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2850486-Steering-worm-ball-bearing-211415235.html

Anyone have a single ball bearing or know the original size?

BTW. Had fun installing new bushing and boring the hole. Thanks Greg for the tips. Fit was awesome and looking forward to tight steering.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

Based on parts list 211415235 is 1/4" , 28 pieces.
But on parts diagram they look to be on the steering shaft?
Maybe someone from the bay forum can help, seems that it's the same bearing as the early bay box.
http://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-split-bay-STEERING-WORM-BALL-BEARING-355-772-OEM-partnr-211415235
http://have-a-nice-bay.nl/product_info.php?products_id=10379

The 'peg' has a dual row of bearings also, but those are cylindrical right?
No part number for that though, I'm looking for a set of those actually.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

The ball bearings are 1/4"
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

Thank you. That is really surprising to me but it should also be easy to source new ones locally too.

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Thank you. That is really surprising to me but it should also be easy to source new ones locally too.

Matthew

Bicycle shop will have them, ask for 1/4" loose balls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box Bearing Ball Size and where to source. Reply with quote

Found some. rebuild is complete. Steering is oh-so nice now. No play what so ever.

Of course that is how it should be since it is all rebuilt now.

- New King pins, drag link, tie rods, center pivot bushing, steering box roller bearings & steering box output shaft bushings.

Alot of work but worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: