Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery Bus ID Help!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to potentially purchase this bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The owner says that it's a '59 and he's owned it since 1976. I don't have any other photos at this point.

What do you say bus gurus? I recognize the turn signals being from a later bus. Any other clues?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project

Last edited by ernstben on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Doglegs look late model
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Yes, doglegs look 63-up and front turn signals look 62-67

Hard for me to see any other detail in that photo.

Obviously it's a Panel with some camper windows added but I'm sure you knew that already.

It's a Bench front seat since it has the panelvan upper rear vents.

For some reason I feel like it has icepick front door handles, which would make it 63-early 64.

I'm going to guess 1963 for now.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Maybe if you could compress it into a jpeg or resize it again? I tried to enhance it a bit. Hope this helps

EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Maybe if you could compress it into a jpeg or resize it again? I tried to enhance it a bit. Hope this helps

Ah much better now! Very Happy
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

The rear ventilation slots (how are they called?) are positioned at the outside of the bus till August 1962, but at the first pic they look very strange, sort of angled.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
The rear ventilation slots (how are they called?) are positioned at the outside of the bus till August 1962, but at the first pic they look very strange, sort of angled.

the vents were switched to inwards ("innie") on 6 March 1963, it was a mid year change. my oct '62 bus has "outie" vents.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

I'm not sure but the dog legs look fat to me, like 62 and older, also the engine vents may be outies? Need better pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

The doglegs look hacked to me. Just get better pics.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Holy cow! Thanks for all the data. When I get better pics, I'll get them up here ASAP.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Now with more pixels:

The title lists it as a 1959. As soon as we can pull it out of storage, I can confirm the VIN. Anything besides the turn signals (which the owner knows are incorrect for the year, despite not being a VW nut) mark it as a later panel?

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Not too shabby. just a couple of hacks a road worrier can live with.. camper windows, fried egg signals, cut out tire wells. They would love it in Jersey Very Happy
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

I don't see a recess around the front door handle base and large swoosh on the vent wing so looks like it could be a 59 with later lights hacked in.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

There's way too many things that corroborate '59 to doubt the 40 year owner.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

^^ I think Everett's guess is pretty accurate. Early fat hatch with ice pick handles and outie vents?

Wonder how they grafter on those bay window outside mirrors.

Back in the 70's they weren't too concerned with bolt on mods or heavy use of sawzall's and carpet to up their "sin bin" cred so no surprise that it has seen its share of mods, none of which are deal breakers unless you are looking for untouched original etc.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

is that an over-rider on a ribbed front bumper?

EDIT: now that i look at it closer its a shadow effect. its a slash front bumper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^ I think Everett's guess is pretty accurate. Early fat hatch with ice pick handles and outie vents?

Wonder how they grafter on those bay window outside mirrors.

Back in the 70's they weren't too concerned with bolt on mods or heavy use of sawzall's and carpet to up their "sin bin" cred so no surprise that it has seen its share of mods, none of which are deal breakers unless you are looking for untouched original etc.

????? Why would a fat hatch bus have outie vents, fat doglegs and 1960 and older front doors?
I still say it is a 59 with late lights cut into it.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
the vents were switched to inwards ("innie") on 6 March 1963, it was a mid year change. my oct '62 bus has "outie" vents.

Our late April 1963 DC has outie vents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

Yes, it does look like fat doglegs in that new larger photo.
Could still be a '62 though, right?

I can't tell on the door handle indent but I would lean toward toward no indents too.

So Yeah, I'm with EmpiGT, earlier Bus with hacked-in larger front lights?

Get the VIN # or M-code plate info...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Bus ID Help! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
edgood1 wrote:

Our late April 1963 DC has outie vents.

Double cabs had outies longer. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: