Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

Thinking of doing it myself. Was always a pretty easy job on the Vanagons I've owned. Any tips from the pros? And rec's for best low-dust shoes? And when I put on new pads, will the dash 'replace pads' light automatically go off?
THX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

I think you have the same brakes in my 2002 but not sure.

Sliding single piston calipers are the easiest to do, IMHO.

Bleed lots of fluid to get fresh in

My light was on one wheel only and reset itself.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Thinking of doing it myself. Was always a pretty easy job on the Vanagons I've owned. Any tips from the pros? And rec's for best low-dust shoes? And when I put on new pads, will the dash 'replace pads' light automatically go off?
THX

When I worked on my 97, I created this wiki article
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Front_Brakes
but your 2003 might be significantly different. I don't have wear sensors.
Another owner created a youtube video:
https://youtu.be/ZR4BTeYaPEA
for his 2003.
Don't know about low dust. Good luck.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Abscate - I'd imagine ours are the same. Had system completely bled/changed a few months ago when I had the rears done. But I'll be sure to not let it spill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Abscate - I'd imagine ours are the same. Had system completely bled/changed a few months ago when I had the rears done. But I'll be sure to not let it spill.

Make sure they opened and bled the fronts when they did the rears. Take a look at the road dust on the bleeder caps before you touch them to see if they were moved. IF they were not moved - you still have 300 mL of old fluid in your front brakes.

Its never wrong to push brake fluid through a system anyway - it keeps the bleeders from freezing up and keeps corrosion out.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
dixoncj wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Make sure they opened and bled the fronts when they did the rears. Take a look at the road dust on the bleeder caps before you touch them to see if they were moved. IF they were not moved - you still have 300 mL of old fluid in your front brakes.

Its never wrong to push brake fluid through a system anyway - it keeps the bleeders from freezing up and keeps corrosion out.

Thanks! Will do.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replace front brake shoes - 2003 EVC - tough job? Reply with quote

I've tried a few different pads and I have been using the Wearever Silver Semi Metallic pads from Advance Auto Parts. That have lasted the longest and produce little dust. It stops about the same but the pads are slightly noisier than the OEM ones. When I mean noisy, not squealing but noise that sounds like a pad with lots of metal in it. I'm the only one that notices it (but I'm always listening for some oddball noise). The pads are $46/set and that's even better. I'm on my second set (which I put on two years ago) and I can't remember how long the first set lasted because it was such a long time since I ever touched the brakes. As for rotors, I have replaced them once in 130K miles.

As for bleeding, I find that the easiest way to do it is either get a family member or entice a neighbor with a beer. Put them in the drivers seat and bleed them like you would any car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: