Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Hi Folks- I will be posting this info soon, just had a lot to do the last several days. 7 vehicles involved in the accident so it's basically all day long on the phone right now.

I plan on catching up the story of the last couple things I've done on Chestnut before this happened....it was a 100% done split, 100% the way I liked it, 100% able to drive it anywhere at anytime in any condition, 100% original metal, completely correct car. And such an original and unmolested Beetle before this accident. After a post to catch up the storyline, I'll post the accident photos and info, but It's sad. It will be documented here though, thesamba is such a great forum for preserving the history of these cars and showing the ups and downs of restoration and ownership. Thank you Everett. I believe this car will be saved, I will do my best to see that it's documented here even if I'm not involved with the resurrection.

Thanks for the support, I expect to make a couple posts explaining everything in the next day or two...and I will have the time, because I'm not feeling up for work right now.

This guy is who I'd want to take that split to if it was mine to have it fixed perfectly.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675358&highlight=

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Jason does great work, I really enjoy his build threads and following him online
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Oh My! I started reading this thread this morning, just came in from yard work to finish the last couple pages. What a punch to the gut. I'm glad you are okay.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

I saw pics from the accident when probably within an hour or two of the accident when I was out in CA for the Treffen. Someone showed me instagram pics on their phone. My heart sank. I looked over that split when it was in MA for Patrick before he came out to see it. While it was a so-so paint job, it was one of the most solid and original splits that I have seen in a very long time. Sad to see it damaged.

The damage looks significant, but probably repairable. I guess Patrick and his wife were the 7th car from the initial impact... but as stated previously, it is his story to tell and I am sure he will....

Sad, but mindful, that cars are cars (no matter how old) and people are people, and thankful no one was hurt badly. Metal and paint can be fixed, that is what insurance is for.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
so sorry to hear the news. stay strong.

WOW, Patrick ! I am just reading this after the fact and I'm stunned; Shocked but thankful to know you and Rachel are alright. Smile
Be well, and keep the faith.
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

That is truly a Major Heart breaker, This was the last thing I expected when I opened your thread. Hope you get it sorted.
And Yes, So glad your all OK.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: A Done Split Window you could drive anywhere, anytime Reply with quote

Thanks for the patience and support everyone, I really expected to share sooner...but the last few weeks since the accident have been a roller coaster. It's all settling down now. Did not expect to get so bummed out about it, but the combination of being physically banged up and seeing what happened to the car made it hard to share.

So, I was planning an update on the car and what I've done to it recently and then I'll follow it up soon with a post of the damage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Good friend Empiracer sent me a samba link to a couple of beat up early pulleys. I bought them and was able to get two smooth running pulleys out of them after some straightening and hammering, so I installed one just before our Great Canadian VW show trip in August and it worked flawlessly.

We met up with Greg and Clara and caravan'd to Canada in August. Also had a great stop at Parker's house in Bellingham.

Found a huge leak when we got home from Canada, catastrophic axle bearing failure. I heard a noise a couple times when accelerating from a stop, I'm sure this was it.

After replacing both rear axle bearings I realized I have replaced every single bearing in this car. Engine, trans, wheels, axles....all of them. I've rebuilt every system and the car drives flawlessly. Everything works like the day it was new....except a few extra horsepower because I've internally beefed up the engine to 1300cc.

I installed old school VW breather valve covers, yes I painted them first.

One last thing to do before heading to Yakima, the last show of 2017. I replaced the window seals that I had to seal with "Flexseal" just before the Kelley Park trip. Seal on the right is new versus "Flexseal"on the left. I did replace both. Thank you to my good friend Jarrod Worth for the seals.

Well, with both window seals replaced and all mechanics completely sorted....I think the car is exactly the way I want it.

We LOVE driving these cars and sharing them. We LOVE our VW community of friends, thank you all.

Took the car out for some backroads driving a day or two before leaving to the last PNW VW show of 2017.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

So happy yall are ok Patrick
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

. On our way to the Yakima/Moxee VW show we got rear ended. This accident had nothing to do with driving an old VW. We were at a complete stop with 3 cars stopped behind us.

They beliveve this truck towing the helicopter slammed into the 3rd vehicle behind us, causing a chain reaction that led to a stopped car being thrown into us.

The fender flew off the car, ripped out at the bolt holes
Well, that nice straight pulley didn't last long

The white line shows the original location of the rack, it moved rearward about 2 inches

. My seat came of the tracks and the base of it hit the rear seat and bent it. The rear seat backrest also bent. I think I may have been thrown into it.

Rachaels seat stayed on one rail, so the force bent that seat. Both of our seats the seat back bottom bar broke out at the welds

We went to the hospital. No broken bones, so we were released to go home.

Good friend Dave Brown came to our rescue and arranged for the car to be towed to our house, thank you Dave. Dave also picked up the valve cover that was knocked off the car and reattached it. Chestnut is in our garage awaiting answers from the insurance companies.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Wow. How awful.....

I'm really glad you both got through relatively unscathed. Looking at the damage to those seats it's obvious how powerful that impact was.

Best of luck getting the car back on the road. I'm confident you will.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Man that sucks. Glad you and your wife were not hurt. Those seats coming off the rails and breaking was a known safety issue with Beetles and was only addressed in the '73 or '74 Beetles when they completely changed the seat mounting.

I hope that crank pulley took the hit and not the pulley nut and thus the crankshaft and case.

Perhaps a silver lining is that the truck that caused the accident is a commercial vehicle so you would have better chances with a lawsuit against the driver, the company and the company's insurance company.

Subpoena the cell phone records of the driver to see if he was texting or on the phone. Washington state passed a law earlier this year making cellphone use while driving illegal. If the driver was using his phone then you have a very good case against him.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Glad you are OK. From being around many rear end collisions of Beetles I would recommend pulling the engine and taking off ALL the tinwork. You may surprised what gets damaged.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Patrick, who is your insurer?

Curious to hear if you have someone like Hagerty, and if they assist in documentation, after the fact appraisal, going after the other party, etc
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Thanks for all the well wishes. The support of our friends in person and online has been so helpful. I know you all understand the loss.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about insurance. I didn't have Hagerty, and I don't have an agreed value...though I have researched them, and you should also. But, I do have good insurance and thankfully every vehicle in this 7 car accident was insured including the truck that is believed to have caused the accident. When I purchased Chestnut I discussed with my insurance company how they would determine value if something like this happened. I did some research and I was happy with that answer. I have no reason to believe the insurance won't reach a fair determination for repair.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

That is a bit ironic that a helicopter pilot gets rear-ended by a helicopter, seriously, what are the odds?

My deepest condolences of the car. It makes me sick to see that happen. I was glad that you two made Yakima, and even happier that there weren't terrible injuries. It really sucks that the car was completely dialed-in just before the wreck.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
That is a bit ironic that a helicopter pilot gets rear-ended by a helicopter, seriously, what are the odds?

My deepest condolences of the car. It makes me sick to see that happen. I was glad that you two made Yakima, and even happier that there weren't terrible injuries. It really sucks that the car was completely dialed-in just before the wreck.

Thank you Lind! We were so happy to make it Yakima. It was great to be amongst friends after something like this.
WrennMetallWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Glad you were alright. God Bless Bro. 🤜🤛

Purpose Over Pleasure 🕊

“Hard Werk ⚒ God First “

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0-PSeV52tZ4&si=wpcuRnQyvIFo2nCJ
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCorLXzC5w&si=cbzT8fjlzVlIWfSV
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoE5aYSutY&si=mkZKPxd_41QA1kfs
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzUyyVexAE&feature=share
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8yUrIWS7E&feature=share
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

glad you both are ok

those pics are TOUGH to look at
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Ouch! I am glad you guys are ok! The car can be fixed.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: