Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

i am patiently awaiting the rest of the story as well.
love your car and attitude Cool
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This page of the kraftfahrzeugbrief tells a lot about why this car is a survivor. You can see the stamp in 1957 for the 5-year TUV inspection, then another in 1959 as well as 1961.

In the middle of page the sign off date 24th Nov 1961 is for removing the car from the road for the winter and to the right of it a signature returning to the road on the 8th of May 1962. Every winter for 10 years Adolf Ryser,the original owner, delisted the car and then returned it to service in May. Adolf bought this car when he was an apprentice, he was likely a young man and this was probably his first new car.

I believe after filling this page with signatures Adolf continued to park the car every winter and drive it in the summer. We have other signatures and receipts that show the car received maintenance every fall before being parked. New tires in November 1973, new engine in November 1975. Most likely, another page was started for these registration signatures and that page is lost to time.

1st June 1976 a receipt for deregistering the car in Germany for the final time. A brand new engine installed in November 1975, the car likely returned to service in May 1976 (the month I was born). Now a receipt for this a few weeks later.

The final signature in the kraftfahrzeugbrief, 1st June 1976. The car is being deregistered by its original loving owner. This is where the paperwork trail for this little brown beetle goes quiet for many years.

A sad day for the little car
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Super cool split. Nice to meet you and be able to check it out in person on the weekend. Cool
Wish I would have gotten a pic of my 53 and your 52 when they were sitting side by side at the hotel parking lot. Sad
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Super cool split. Nice to meet you and be able to check it out in person on the weekend. Cool
Wish I would have gotten a pic of my 53 and your 52 when they were sitting side by side at the hotel parking lot. Sad

I really love your truck also Trevor, you've done a great job. It's impressive that you drove it so far. Wish we could have talked much more and i didn't snap any pictures at the hotel either.. Let's catch up next time.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Fast forward to June 15th 2016, 40 years and 14 days after the car was deregistered in Germany

Got the little brown car running and driving. Brian hoped in and we started cruising around in the car that his dad had garaged as long as he could remember. Of course we took it down to a park for some glamour shots. So exciting!!

Also took it to a local manor for more shots. At this point my plan was to store the car in Massachusetts for 4 months and come back to do a foliage run with it in the fall to check that off my bucket list....plans changed.

I just like this pic

Filling it up with fuel before storage to help reduce condensation and rust

This is what the engine looks like for now. Fake t-air cleaner that had been stuffed with foam (clean now) and a few other incorrect items. The fuel lines are driving me nuts, but I didn't have the stuff to fix them at the time

A quick snap of the odometer before leaving the car in storage with Brian. Put about 20 trouble free kilometers on the car today. Changed the oil three times already at this point.

I then went straight to Boston airport and flew home. I left with a pretty good "to do" list of parts and small things Chestnut needs, time for some samba hunting. I was in Boston for a grand total of 54 hours and slept about 10 hours max. All the rest of time was spent with the car and I HAD A FANTASTIC TIME. Thank goodness this crazy plan worked. Next step, beside getting the car home, will be to drive and enjoy this car.

See you later little brown car Very Happy
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

July 31, 2016

45 days after getting it running and driving I'm getting antsy to see the car and drive it.

I can't wait 4 months for my planned New England foliage run. Since the car has been running I've gotten really busy with work travel. I'm planning to have a little time off in August and I wanna drive the car. My schedule in the fall just won't allow the foliage run and with work and waiting for the car to ship I wouldn't get to really see the car again until mid December (rainy season in western Oregon).

I used enclosed storage because the passenger side window currently has no felt or upper track rubber, I just didn't have time to fix this while I was in Massachusetts.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

I can only imagine the Monday morning talk around the water cooler at work:

"So, what did you do this weekend?"

Great story and a great car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Ultra, you did darn well with your intense engine revival! I'm sure that the more you drive the car once you get it home, the better it will run.

Mr. Ryser was a master cheese maker Shocked .

VW letter from '75 explained that the special deviation for the 40hp engine (34hp 1200cc) which Mr. Ryser requested could not be issued because the car's brakes were not capable of supporting the increased engine power. That's why a replacement 1131cc engine had to be installed. This is also supported by the TuV document that specifies that a replacement engine must be of the same design/power output as the original. This was applicable to all vehicles by the TuV, which was the government vehicle inspection and regulatory agency. Very strict policies.
62beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Fantastic story, lovely car! Enjoy!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: The Beetle has Landed Reply with quote

Aug 9 2016, the Beetle arrived here in Oregon. I arranged for my Dad to pickup the car from the shipper because I was delayed a few days while on my way home from work.

Anyways, Dear Old Dad had a few issues with the car....between a not having driven a Beetle ever, a fuel valve in the Off position, manual choke, roller pedal, being 6'4", crashbox tranny, maybe a blocked idle jet, 55° with rain,and possible carb ice (but it wasn't ice) Dad was able to unload the car and drive about one block before surrendering. I think Dad did fine, all things considered. The shipper was supposed to take it right to my shop but the truck driver opted for a gigantic parking lot instead because of road construction. Dad called me from the parking lot of a strip mall to let me know where the car was gonna be parked....right on one of the busiest streets in town and in a terrible parking lot where all the spots are too small and people like to back into little brown cars. AGGGHHHHH!!!

Time for help, thankfully my good friend Derek Young was available to go get the car and limp it to his shop. I should have asked for Derek's help in the beginning, but I was trying to keep the cars arrival under wraps. Derek cleaned the idle jet out and tucked it into his bay until the next morning when I would be back home. Thank you Derek!!!

Aug 10th 2016, Derek rolled up his shop doors. This is the first time I've seen the car since Massachusetts almost 2 months ago....even though it was shipped enclosed it's pretty dirty now. But in good shape, it fired right up and purrs like a kitten.

Time for a bath!!!! But first I threw my favorite rack on top, a Bekowa 9-slat hardtop height. I've had this rack for a long time. It's special to me because it's a cool rack, but mostly because I first got it from my best friend at least 15 years ago. Its been on most every Beetle I've had since. This rack makes me feel just fine with basically all the cars I ever had being hardtops.

" I do not need an 11G to be happy", repeat 3 times daily until you're convinced it's true.

Sometimes I feel a little ridiculous about how sentimental I can get about certain cars or even parts...but this is how I am. I sold this rack once and completely regretted it, thankfully I was able to get it back and restore balance to the force.

She's clean, time for a glamour shot in front of a local barn! I know you guys all do this kinda stuff.

In our story timeline it's now Aug 10th and my plans are to drive the car everyday and sort out the bugs and a few other thing. Wednesday August 17 my wife and I will be heading to Vancouver BC on a roadtrip/camping trip....hopefully driving this Beetle there in one week.
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

*like*
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Late 70s or early 80s photo Reply with quote

Brian left this photo in the glove box for me, late 70s- early 80s before the car was repainted

In background, a metallic brown 1978 Honda wagon...exactly the same as my first car!!

Also noteworthy is the turnsignal holes on the front fender from Adolf Reyser's ownership time in Germany. This pic is before the car was repainted in the 80s and shows what we believe to be 25-30 year old original paint on a car that had been garaged its whole life.
vwbusride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Love the Dad and Beetle part of this really cool adventure.
I had my Dad help me get my 56 from the paint shop a few years ago.
The car had no windows, mirrors, lights...etc.. and crash box..etc..
He made it to my house (about 2 miles away) with white knuckles and said how do you drive this F%@king thing everyday?
Anyway love your new to you Beetle and story.
Aaron
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Enjoyed, nothing like having eye candy in your possession.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Beautiful car Wink
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Pat, great meeting and hanging out with you yesterday, car is beautiful!, hope to see you again soon!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Thanks Ty, it was really nice meet you and Anna also. Last weekend felt like the end of summer weather. Nice to have the car out, we're really glad we brought it home to enjoy.

Been super busy in the shop and having issues with Flickr, but this thread deserves some updates so I'll be doing that very soon
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

FYI, Joel's old '55 550 Spyder was sold to a well known collector you may have heard of.... some no name comedian named Seinfeld. Well that Spyder was part of the Gooding and company auction this year that Jerry made $22 Million at. Joel's old 550 brought 5.3 of that Surprised

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

I love threads like this. What a great story.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chestnut Brown 1952 Crotchcooler, been parked since the 70s Reply with quote

Yep, that blue 550 spyder went to Seinfeld and was sold recently at auction. It's a testament to Mr. Horvitz's excellent taste. This little brown beetle spent years in the same garage as that 550 and the 58 Carerra.

Bought a 26vfis and an oversized throttle shaft from Mika (username: virtanen). I'm not sure if the carb is 100% correct casting but it will work for now

I wanted to install a magnetic plug before driving much more, the engine was producing a small amount of very fine metal I noticed during 3 oil changes in Massachusetts

This is how the engine looks now, still needs correct manifold, coil, and k-manifold. Also, I added a finger to the rear tin to simulate the 25hp piece. On top a single strap 54/55 air cleaner for now until I find a nice original T-cleaner.

It's now August 16th, only a few more things to do before leaving to Canada
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: