Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 dometic refrig not working on propane
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

I have a 182B dometic refrigerator in my 1991 Westy which works on 110 AC but not on propane. This unit has electronic ignition, not the piezo ignition that works off the air pump. According to the owner's manual, when I press the gas button, the red light on the refrig panel should flash, then become solid when the unit lights. On mine, as soon as I press the gas button, the red light is solid. I don't hear any clicking sounds either. Any thoughts appreciated.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

Are you sure its not lit? Easiest way to check is to stick your ear up close to the outside flue vent. Listen for the sound of a flame, if lit the sound is pretty obvious and can fee heat coming from there as well. Mine last dometic used to fire right up, pretty darn quick. Made me wonder a few times if it was really lit or not. Especially if you run it on 110 first
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

The green light on the cabinet (lowest of the 4) did not light as it should if the burner was lit, also could not see any flame at the peep hole. I did not listen or feel for heat at the vent-I'll try that and post results.
zitty2016
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

No heat at vent and no flame sound either-doubt burner is lit.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

Listening is the best way to know for sure provided you are not in a noisy neighborhood. If it really didn't light and red light went solid it points a problem with the electronic igniton box or a the piezo being grounded out (like if a large chunk of carbon got between the ignitor end and the metal inside the burner). That is pretty unlikely. The ignitor might have bad connections with the wires, or be bad internally. They still sell generic replacement igniters that are a direct fit.

A long time ago, I posted a link to a troublshooting diagram the dometic electronic fridges. If you need it and can't find it, pm me. I think you should be able to find the thread if you do a search.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

Try this:

Compressed air and a shopvac to clear the combustion area. Bugs come in from your outside flue to huff propane. Then they die near the pilot lighting area and their carcasses can ground out your electrode, preventing the spark.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313666&highlight=

You may have to remove the fridge from the van to check if the spark is "leaking" somewhere along the wire between the igniter and the pilot light.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3993793#3993793

My Dometic was pretty reliable on 120v, but ALWAYS failed on the road, no longer cooling by the 2nd day. I bought a Truckfridge CF49 and was satisfied for awhile, but it chows the battery before the 2nd day, so it's not really working for me either. I tried the 4x22AH=88aH setup, but those type batteries are pretty low quality I think, that set of 4 lasted only a couple years. Now I have a Diehard Platinum 65aH deep cycle battery, I guess it's OK. But I want my 3-way back. I still have the take-out 1990 Westy Dometic fridge (electronic ign. like yours).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Try this:

Compressed air and a shopvac to clear the combustion area. Bugs come in from your outside flue to huff propane. Then they die near the pilot lighting area and their carcasses can ground out your electrode, preventing the spark.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313666&highlight=

You may have to remove the fridge from the van to check if the spark is "leaking" somewhere along the wire between the igniter and the pilot light.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3993793#3993793

My Dometic was pretty reliable on 120v, but ALWAYS failed on the road, no longer cooling by the 2nd day. I bought a Truckfridge CF49 and was satisfied for awhile, but it chows the battery before the 2nd day, so it's not really working for me either. I tried the 4x22AH=88aH setup, but those type batteries are pretty low quality I think, that set of 4 lasted only a couple years. Now I have a Diehard Platinum 65aH deep cycle battery, I guess it's OK. But I want my 3-way back. I still have the take-out 1990 Westy Dometic fridge (electronic ign. like yours).

Sodo, have you considered a 100ah or better? I have a coscto interstate group 27 100ah and i get about a two days. I also have a flexible 100w solar to keep things topped. Even though I loved the dometic at one point in my life, now with kids, I could never consider going back from my tf65. just too mich room and too much cold beer. I do miss the simplicity of the dometic system as a whole, just got tired of always schlepping a cooler in addtion. Much happier now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 dometic refrig not working on propane Reply with quote

Same symptoms as the last one I worked on. Try starting it with the engine running.

WBX gets old ..compression goes down..engine starts fine with weak battery..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: