Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Everyone should be careful taking my typing out to be gospel, I'm just having fun in a Samba discussion, pushing the envelope. It's almost like my buddy 'gears' who says: "I want to make the Vanagon trans strong enough so I can drop the clutch with my SVX, and romp on 2nd gear anytime I want." That's perhaps a little ambitious on the other end but if it's his guiding light that will take us all a little further. Keep i mind this is a guy who built a beetle trans up to survive 440Hp. He's been there before.

gears wrote:
.err .. I did say romp in 2nd & 3rd, but we'll never be able to drop the clutch with our heaviest Vanagons without paying a penalty.

OK yeah thats only a slight exaggeration ...... but it's based on what the gleam in your eye said.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

=============

Edit: It was like this. Tom Lengyel said (referring to 'gears') "He wants to make it strong enough to dump the clutch", to which gears replied without hesitation, "No I want to romp on 2nd gear, or 3rd whenever I feel like it". But gears had just been regaling us with stories of dumping 440HP thru a beetle trans at 7,000 rpm....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

gears wrote:
nJael, could you please provide a link to that cooler? It looks similar to the automatic coolers with too small an oil passage .. would be "cool" if it fits our needs.

Gears, here is the link at Summit Racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-41200
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

No worries sodo - not trying to call you out, just wondering if you had any Inside info that contradicted magnom's experiments as I did a lot of reading before going with the magnom thing. Anyhow agreed, more filtering the better! And I like the way gears thinks!!
I'm getting ready to chip my 1.8t so I'm counting on gears to come through with some more innovations! Perhaps bring back the casting for all aluminum cases and barrel drilled main shafts?
So far I've got 16,000 miles on my rebuilt unit with cooling and filtering and plenty of 200 ft/lb miles with almost no particles on my 8 micron filter and magnom. Here's hoping Very Happy
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

I think that Moroso filter is for automatic transmissions with thinner fluid. Probably too restrictive for good flow / delivery to all the various oiling points.

Sneak preview sketch of gun-drilled mainshaft. Two prototypes might be ready in a couple weeks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The prototype billet intermediate housing with bonus features may also be ready in a couple weeks.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Gears you rock!!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Just some photos of the Drain plug adapters and the size of AN fittings vs a Banjo Fitting when using the 2.1 WBX engine and exhaust.

This is a fitting I got from Sodo I am using for the Fill Port, but it measures the same length as other adapters I had for the AN8 JIC Flare. These are EATON fittings. 90° going into AN8 "T". Obviously not enough room!

With the exhaust installed you cannot install the fittings. Previous picture I removed the exhaust to mount the fittings.
Another problem is that any version of the 90° fitting cannot be installed because you have to rotate it and it hits the rib on the Bellhousing above it.

This is the the Banjo Fitting installed on Alika's adapter. This Banjo flare size is an AN6 (all I could find locally.) The Banjo from Pegasus that is referenced by Alika is a AN8 which will give a better flow rate being a size larger.

A side view showing the AN6 Banjo and the AN6 size "T" fitting. I am using a "T" fitting so I still have a drain port.

Alika's adapter and the Banjo fittings are the best way to go if you have the 2.1 WBX.

(These pics are just for the unenlightened who might be thinking about doing this mod. You enlightened guys already know all this stuff.)

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Steve I though you were using that fitting on the fill port.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Steve I though you were using that fitting on the fill port.

I am, I was trying to find a combination that worked for the drain port and yours measured out to be the same length as others I had returned.
I just used it for the photos.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Here is a link to a possible sight gauge that could possibly be used on that rectangular oil tank I referenced in previous post. That would depend on the length between the fittings, they make different lengths.

sight gauge-Lovejoy
https://www.ebay.com/p/Lovejoy-84527101703-Hydraul...0005.m1851

There are many variations of this vertical type from different mfg's where the sight tube is enclosed and protected inside a housing.

However, I would prefer this one installed on the side of the gearbox itself if there was a location available at the height of the oil on the gearbox when full of oil.

Round window plug. The main advantage is if it leaks it is only going to leak down to the bottom of the window. Whereas on vertical sight gauges you would loose all the oil.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-NPT-Male-Brass-Sight-G...mp;vxp=mtr

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

gears wrote:
I think that Moroso filter is for automatic transmissions with thinner fluid. Probably too restrictive for good flow / delivery to all the various oiling points.

I agree. I was planning to remove the filter and use the aluminum housing as the heat sink and for the extra volume of gear oil.

Possibly it could be lined with magnets?

Just a thought.

It is great to see some of the engineering and manufacturing of these vital components for our transaxles. Hats off to you Gears!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

To be quite honest, I'm just a backyard mechanic applying solutions that are obvious to me. I'm relying on pros for manufacturing and engineering, which includes what you guys are arriving at in threads like this ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I agree. I was planning to remove the filter and use the aluminum housing as the heat sink and for the extra volume of gear oil.

Possibly it could be lined with magnets?

My internet-x-ray vision doesn't see any undue restrictions in that cooler. I think quick-release fittings are prob much more restrictive. Can you remove the end cap and look inside? If the end comes off easily (not epoxy'd?) that might answer the restriction questions, and others too. Depending on the size of the cavity maybe a magnetic element can be designed to fit in there.

flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Gears if you recall from last weekend we were discussing a potential issue with the fin cooler I've been using was that all of the dual pass coolers use 1/4" passages (~AN6), which is fine for ATF but I'm worried is too restrictive for thicker gear oil. Well lo and behold, I found that if you go single pass, the passage and fitting size increase to 3/8" (~AN8). My new plan is to replace my existing finned cooler and 1/4" hose with two of these connected by a U-bend at the front end, all still strapped to my driveshaft bar:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S75F8U2/ref...OMP4BEHXVH

The whole system will be ~AN8 or 3/8" throughout the entire circuit now.
And folks, after having Gears walk me through some of his design ideas, I can tell you the billet intermediate housing will be a must-have on any 094 rebuild.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

That "Assault Racing Products" cooler is welded shut. Which is good for reliability, but difficult to stuff with magnets.....Wink if'n someone was so inclined....seeing as the subject of this thread is filtering. Also would be difficult to clean it (someday).

I'm quite curious what's inside of one that has bolted ends. It seems to be a good size for under the van, or inside either of the rear fresh air intake pillars. Will a 15" get around the corner to go vertical in the fresh air intake?

flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Ha! between stuffing coolers in the air intake and this picture I see inspiration for a future cooling circuit:

I'm also going to change up my filtering. My in-fitting Setrab 250 screen did a good job of grabbing a couple large particles before the pump, but I want to do more after the pump. I'm gathering ideas from this thread, the $12 10 micron drop canister looks attractive if I can figure out a way to mount it, and then follow it with this 3/8" magnet thing:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072PQ2XKD/ref...QJY9IZUN8K

My long-sought goal is to have an effective system with a final build cost of < $500.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Flomulgator, the magnet filter is for automatic transmission or hydraulic fluid like power steering, it might be too restrictive....

For the single pass cooler, you can always mount to in series straight shot or back to back with lebows in one end to do a connecting loop Wink

Steve M, good to see you're getting there, it is looking good!!
Keep an eye out for leaks, fingers crossed!

Paul, are the shafts drilled twice perpendicularly at 180° ?

Aloha!

Alika
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

Folks in this thread are advocating filtering to incredibly small particle sizes, without very large filter areas wouldn't that also be excessively restrictive?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Folks in this thread are advocating filtering to incredibly small particle sizes, without very large filter areas wouldn't that also be excessively restrictive?

The other function of an oil cooling system being "FLOW", so combining cooling and filtering from one pump is a balancing act.

A good-running trans should NOT be making any particles bigger than (wild-ass-guess here) "25 microns", I've decided to focus on magnetic capture, and sequestering of the much TINIER particles that otherwise circulate in the trans repeatedly, forever. 25 microns is visible to the eye. It's 1/4 of a mm, or about 8 thousandths.

I currently have a 10µ filter that was cheap used on eBay. But I'm thinking that if a guy has a 25µ mechanical filter, and a magnetic-reservoir type filter to catch hold the really small stuff nightly, that could be a good economical system. The magnetic filter doesn't have to reduce flow like stuffing gear oil thru tight filter media.

Saving money is rarely cheap but if you can build stuff it just costs time. Lots of time,,,,, but not as much as attending a forum.... Wink

ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

gears wrote:
To be quite honest, I'm just a backyard mechanic applying solutions that are obvious to me. I'm relying on pros for manufacturing and engineering, which includes what you guys are arriving at in threads like this ..

GAwd Paul you are so humble......your threads spawned these threads.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING Reply with quote

For those concerned about flow rates - o thought I’d post mine.
I have this filter (8micron) https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11514
With about 4 quick disconnects in the system and a magnom mini filter, setrab radiator, powered by a weddle (turbowerks) pump.
I get pretty much exactly 2 gal/min flow rate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: