Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My "KASTEN 16"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Sigh...fuel clamps as already mentioned long ago now have been changed as well as the fuel lines in the engine compartment
Sliding door is replaceable if the window is not going to work out.

As far as the electric windows go when I do get back to it since I'm not working I have more time to get look at the problem. The fuse and load reduction relay were pretty obvious things to look at right off and they were working.

Then again it may be a year before I get back to it. 😉

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
modmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

From the outer appearance this looks like a really really nice example of a syncro Kasten.

A reason for having the tail-light connectors all butchered might be that in Germany vans were sold with taillights from different Manufacturers. I never saw a system behind it, like years of production, site of production or whatever. However there were OEM headlights made by Hella and some made by ULO. While their outer appearance is the same, as well as the placement of each light function, they're different in terms of the bulb-holber and - here's the tricky part - the connector.

German-market aftermarket tail lights (to refrain from saying "German aftermarket tail lights", which would be a lie, since they're all of questionable Chinese quality) however are exclusively produced for the Hella setup.

So your PO probably needed the bling so hard, he cut everything out to switch to Hella.
Keep that ULO/Hella thing in mind when ordering replacement bulb holders for your fog-light adventure.

Other than that I really envy you for that awesome syncro. I do drive a '92 panelvan myself, used as camper, but it's 2WD with an 1.9TD AAZ swap. Shame on you for stealing a nice example out of Europe! Just kidding, the way you guys over there treat the vanagons is really a pleasure to see.

Enjoy the ride!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

modmatt wrote:
From the outer appearance this looks like a really really nice example of a syncro Kasten.

A reason for having the tail-light connectors all butchered might be that in Germany vans were sold with taillights from different Manufacturers. I never saw a system behind it, like years of production, site of production or whatever. However there were OEM headlights made by Hella and some made by ULO. While their outer appearance is the same, as well as the placement of each light function, they're different in terms of the bulb-holber and - here's the tricky part - the connector.

German-market aftermarket tail lights (to refrain from saying "German aftermarket tail lights", which would be a lie, since they're all of questionable Chinese quality) however are exclusively produced for the Hella setup.

So your PO probably needed the bling so hard, he cut everything out to switch to Hella.
Keep that ULO/Hella thing in mind when ordering replacement bulb holders for your fog-light adventure.

Other than that I really envy you for that awesome syncro. I do drive a '92 panelvan myself, used as camper, but it's 2WD with an 1.9TD AAZ swap. Shame on you for stealing a nice example out of Europe! Just kidding, the way you guys over there treat the vanagons is really a pleasure to see.
Enjoy the ride!

Thank you for your informative reply. Never heard of ULO until now.
We can get the front signal lamp bulb holders over in the states through Van-Cafe for one and I bought the rear signal base mount which is the bulb holders through them as well. So stateside we okay on them for now as far as spares go.
I don't know what went on with the headlight harness from the PO. It looks as if the high power relay kit was installed, but it was mounted inside the grill which to me is a disaster waiting to happen as it is open to rain water.It's all just cut and splice with electrical tape so it's garbage. So that will be changed out! I did get the stock OEM wire harnesses for under the dash so as to avoid the guessing of what was done to it. I have an '87 wire harness complete so I might use that for the rear engine and tail light wiring.
Bottom line for me is all that electrical tape is coming out! Considering how I found the start battery installed I really do not want to drive it as I'm suspicious of the rest of the wiring.

Thanks for the compliments on the appearence. It does look nice. The engine now that I have it running fairly well has good oil pressure and no strange noises coming from it. The gearbox shifts well and the suspension is solid with fairly new bushings all around. So I got lucky in that respect.The drive shaft has the predictable vibration from it and I have a new GoWesty drive shaft to replace it. The VD seems good up front, but I haven't taken it off pavement yet to give it a workout. I should do the VD test when I get back to it to see how well it does on that.
The interior-it's okay, but not quite as good as it should be yet!
I am hoping I can do the Kasten proper justice in getting it to where I want it to be!

Your city, Hamburg is a beautiful city! I was living up in Rendsburg for a winter 3-4 years ago and got down there often. Your whole country is just a good place to be I've enjoyed coming over every time i do.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kasten#Noun
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kasten#Noun

The registration paperwork translates it as a "box".
A lot of the "old" german used only as far back as 1995 does not translate too well using modern translators. I just spent the last 3 years living on German made yachts and all the drawings were in German and about 1/4 of the names on the drawings could not be translated easily if at all, but ask a German born human and they can tell you what it means.
If "Kasten" is good enough for VW to say panel van it's good enough for me!

modmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words regarding Hamburg. We're only living here since about a year ago but grew up about half way between Rendsburg and Hamburg.

reg that battery: Back in the days VW designed the battery tray upfront in such a way, that you need a battery in a form factor that was only available at the VW parts counter. A sneaky way to ensure aftersales revenue. Regular batteries in Germany are standardized 19cm height-wise. For a vanagon battery tray you need an obscure 17cm one to have a safe setup. Today aftermarket batteries are available in this size. But they are still more expensive and you don't get them in every battery shop. In my Diesel I have the aux battery in that same box under the seat. The battery clerk and me set about 5 different batteries in the tray until we had one that fitted without a fire hazard.

Regarding Kasten: Kastenwagen is a correct word for a panelvan. Although nowadays most people would rather say transporter or "Sprinter" which has become a synonym for all panel vans no matter what brand.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: So...my engine serial number...hmm... Reply with quote

I'm just kinda curious about the numbers I found at the base of the oil breather tower.
I saw this back in August last year and now finally getting back to having fun with it!

It just doesn't quite match any other engine serial numbers I've seen on the 2.1's!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best guesstimate is that there is a "recycle" symbol so the engine is a rebuild. No brainer on that considering it is 25 yrs. on the body.
The face of the metal where the s/n is originally stamped is very smooth-not at all like the original casing. So It looks as if it was re-faced to put this stamping on it.
I'm not extremely worried since the engine after I re-tuned after arrival it does sound very solid. I've yet to do a compression test as I stored it since Oct. last year and right now I'm repairing the wiring problems caused by an idiot.

Does anybody have any guess's about it or even a definitive answer!

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. It`s an exchange engine. It appears there is faint lettering inside the circle? The 15.06 may indicate 15th month of 2006?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Yes, I agree. It`s an exchange engine. It appears there is faint lettering inside the circle? The 15.06 may indicate 15th month of 2006?

The 2006 I think might be correct, but have yet to see 15 months in a year! Embarassed
Or maybe 6th month of 2015 would be better!

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Yes, I agree. It`s an exchange engine. It appears there is faint lettering inside the circle? The 15.06 may indicate 15th week of 2006?

Correction made.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:

Correction made.

Something I would do too so your not alone! Very Happy

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Mystery PCB behind the Diff-Lock Switch Panel. Reply with quote

So I started working on the problem with the Power Windows not working.

After getting into the wiring harness behind the FUSE/Relay panel for the windows the "window problem" quickly morphed into repairing/replacing the burned wiring and multitude of twisted wire splices covered with electrical tape in the Main Harnesses.
To give you an example the Ground wire alone from the Rear Defrost Switch has 3 splices within 6 inches from the switch.

It looks like somebody had the battery connected while sticking their hands up behind the Dash...off the top of my head I can't remember how wires were burned, but I have that written down and photos for my history of it.
I'll be posting them later on when I'm nearer to being finished with that and the windows actually work.

So anyway I found this PCB wrapped in foam and shoved down behind the Diff-Lock Switch panel.
I'm not finding it on the schematics in the Bentley so I'm clueless to what it is.
As usual I'm away from the Kasten for a few weeks on a job so I can't back trace the wiring through the wire harness to see where is connects to.

So does anyone recognize this?
Thanks.

Track Cycling Team
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Its the "Blinkgeber", responsible for the Signal of the Front-Locker. The Kabelbaum from the Diff-Locks ends in a white, 3wiring connector near the Lenksäule/behind the Zentralelektrik.
Greets from Germany!
Alex

Edit: the hole cables for the Diff-Lock-Lights from behind the Zentralelektrik to the Locker-Console:

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

That board blinks the front locker bulb when the knob is pulled until it is engaged.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Track Cycling Team wrote:
Its the "Blinkgeber", responsible for the Signal of the Front-Locker. The Kabelbaum from the Diff-Locks ends in a white, 3wiring connector near the Lenksäule/behind the Zentralelektrik.
Greets from Germany!
Alex

Edit: the hole cables for the Diff-Lock-Lights from behind the Zentralelektrik to the Locker-Console:

Guten Tag Alex!
Thank you for this info and picture.
Now I know what that metal thing is I saw hidden down below the ventilation housing!

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That board blinks the front locker bulb when the knob is pulled until it is engaged.

I'm glad there's guys on this side of the pond with Syncro-specific knowledge!
Thanks.

Track Cycling Team
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Now I know what that metal thing is I saw hidden down below the ventilation housing!

Hi Steve,
the metal thing is the vacuum pump (Unterdruckpumpe) for the front locker, in Picture its No. 12 (but with the wrong discription; you have to change the names 11 <--> 12 on the second picture).

Sorry for my bad english- but I`m working on it. Wink

Alex
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Rear Wheel Hub Question. Reply with quote

I'm considering getting the Burley Rear Disk Brake Kit.

For their kit you will need to reduce the diameter of the Rear Hub to fit their kit.

Rather then modify my existing hubs I would rather buy another pair and get them modified ahead of time so it's just bolt on when I have the time and not have to wait to have it done when I find time to do the modification.

I'm just thinking about it right now while looking at other options like retro fitting rear discs from another VW design or Audi.

Update: I saw on Brickwerks website that they have rear hub specific to the Syncro 16. VW part Number: 251 501 619

Syncro 14" and Vanagon VW Part Number: 211.501.619

So now just out of curiosity I know they use the LT design on the front end. what is the size difference on the 16" vs. the 14" hubs to find out if the Burley Rear Disc kit would work?

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

I've was working on the burned wiring a little while back and just going ahead and replacing/modifying the under dash harness and found a wiring difference in the Red "B" Connector Terminal 2 ("T2"). It is not used on the Canadian/USA imports so wondering what they had used this for over in Europe.
The wiring color is WHt/red and I think it goes from the "T2" to the 14 pin Instrument Cluster connector "T1".
I don't have the wire harness in front of me to look at it and going from memory...I took a lot of pictures, but none of the 14 pin connector.

My notes on going through the Bentley trying to find this. On the pages I've seen the "T2" going to "E10". On this picture it is the 2nd terminal from the right on the top row.

'87 Syncro Canada/USA wiring.

Do any of you folks over in Europe recognize what this is used for?

Thanks in advance.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My "KASTEN 16" Reply with quote

One of the things that has always been bugging me about the Vanagon series is getting to the wiring behind the Fuse/Relay panel.

So my solution, since I had to repair all the burned wiring anyway was to take care of this pet peeve by extending the length of the wire harness's going to the connectors that plug into the Fuse/Relay panel.
This is probably why the wire harness was destroyed by whoever worked on it before when they did not disconnect the battery. Rolling Eyes
This will make it easier for me to just drop the Fuse Panel and letting it fall out of the way to see behind it let alone put my big hand up in there.

How I found the wiring all wrapped in electrical tape. It was all burned wiring under the tape.

You can see how far out the harness goes away from the mounting bracket for the panel. It is probably too far now!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: